CUBA - MOS out of Tampa

1cruise2U

Finally, My Cuba Review – It was Great!

MOS – Inaugural voyage to Cuba May 8 – 14 (It was nice toget the RCCL certificates)

First Impression –

We are in our mid-40’s and get along with most people, thiscruise I thought the staff and the fellow cruisers were the best that I haveencountered in my last 5 cruises (all on longer ships)

Boarding – make sure you have all your paperwork completed,they will tell you that you might check the box stating that you will take RCCLactivities, just check the box and keep moving, we also checked support forCuban people, no one looks at the form again once you get your sea pass.

Room – I knew itwould be small but it was bigger than expected, clean and we had no problems,had an ocean view on deck 6 – I loved the location (Tween Deck it was called).The best room attendant of any cruises; so attentive and helpful.

Food – I didn’t go hungry, although I liked the Windjammerand the hidden restaurant in the back and upstairs the best (they made crepes),on some days the Windjammer has special food I just happened to go in and getthe tacos and they were good. There was even a seafood day in the windjammer.

Dinner Room was ok for me, my tablemates ate steak and lamband they all enjoyed it very much. The staff was very friendly.

Pool – good, no problem finding chairs in the shade or sun(it did rain a lot during our trip). Did not see any stained towels. Poolsidebar near the windjammer made the best drinks.

I had the non-alcoholic drink package and my DH the alcoholic(all the bars made me non-alcoholic mojitos or whatever I asked for. (Webrought the package on sale, if you call in direct only one has to buy theexpensive drink package and the other can buy another package).

Shows – I went to two shows, one was a singer that wasreally good and the other were RCCL dancers – enjoyed all that I attended.

Ports of Call

Havana overnight – (you will exchange you money but it wasno problem doing this, we spent around $200, mostly the carriage and 4 taxirides and some clothing purchases

We did our own tours in a carriage/horse with a guide andthen off to a restaurant Ajiaco in the countryside in Cojmar, Habana – it was apretty ride about 15 minutes from port area.

We did visit some friends and saw most of the hotels andembassy row.

Our tablemates did the RCCL night excursions and reallyenjoyed them.

It was really raining in May so we did go to the market thatis just left of the port exit.Almacenesde San Jose 9-8 pm

Taxis are easy to get, make sure you learn a few Spanish words.

Don’t forget buy some Rum – we tasted some 20 year Rum – I don’teven drink much but it was the best Rum that I had ever tasted.

Cozumel – We just walked around and enjoyed the sites andpeople watching

Yes, we would go back but we have so many other places thatwe would like to visit.

Can you tell me a bit more about your Carriage ride? Hubby really wants to do this and I'm having a hard time finding actual company names, what's included, how to contact, etc. Did you pre-arrange this?

Thanks for the info!

Yes, where do you get the best rum? And how much do they charge?

I've seen conflicting reports about paying for items -- some say no one takes American credit cards, others say some places do.

Yes, where do you get the best rum? And how much do they charge?

I've seen conflicting reports about paying for items -- some say no one takes American credit cards, others say some places do.

No one takes American credit / debit cards in Cuba. But you can use other countries cards in a lot of places.

Ie, UK credit cards used in the goverment cigar stores.

Something to do with the American banking rules and restrictions ref Cuba

Rum, they sell rum everywhere.

Try to avoid leaving it to the last moment and trying to purchase in the Cruise terminal. It took an hour in line :(

There is a Havana Club store to the left outside of the terminal.

• 2 weeks later...
Rum is sold by government stores, so it will probably be at a fixed price.

For more information about Cuban rum than you may want to know, check this website:http://ultimaterumguide.com/cuba/

My head is spinning just looking at the images! :eek::eek::eek:

Can you tell me a bit more about your Carriage ride? Hubby really wants to do this and I'm having a hard time finding actual company names, what's included, how to contact, etc. Did you pre-arrange this?

Thanks for the info!

Sorry for the delay, have not logged in for awhile. Once you exit through the customs and get your money, you will go down some steps or take elevator. The carriage rides will be right outside of the cruise terminal on your left, you don't need to arrange in advance. The cost is about $25 per hour for one person and they will take you on a route and too the market or other places just let them know and remind them that you only want a certain about of time if you are on a budget.

Rum is sold by government stores, so it will probably be at a fixed price.

For more information about Cuban rum than you may want to know, check this website:http://ultimaterumguide.com/cuba/

Yes, the rum is a fixed price.... you can buy right in the terminal or the Havana Club....try to get the 7 year or even the 20 year. I forgot to write the name of the rum down but they let you taste at most places outside of terminal.

Sorry for the delay, have not logged in for awhile. Once you exit through the customs and get your money, you will go down some steps or take elevator. The carriage rides will be right outside of the cruise terminal on your left, you don't need to arrange in advance. The cost is about $25 per hour for one person and they will take you on a route and too the market or other places just let them know and remind them that you only want a certain about of time if you are on a budget.

Thank you!:)