American Empress 9/22/2019 Sailing

Bop

37 minutes ago, DiamondDiva said:

Call Davenport and reserve...well worth it..no cabs in Spokane, they say.  And we never saw one anywhere.  Very convenient to do their large and comfy van.

Ooops no cabs ?  Ouch.  We are staying the night before at another hotel in Spokane - now I wonder how to get to the Davenport?  Uber possibly?  

Guess I could call the 1st hotel and see what they say as the best bet to get to the Davenport, or call the Davenport to see what idea they may have.  

Thanks for all the information!

21 minutes ago, Bop said:

Buck,

Searched "cabs in Spokane Washington,".  Lots of numbers from cab companies.

I did notice that after I had posted. I have done Uber before and found it super convenient, so think I have options.   Would have tried to do the Davenport for the extra day, but this hotel we booked is free -  so figured even taxi fare would be worth saving a nights lodging. 

Looks like plans are falling into place.  We're looking forward to a couple of days pre cruise at the Davenport.  All feedback I have read has been glowing. I'm ready to go now!

Bop

Sorry about Spokane cabs thing....was a different city on another trip.  

But the Davenport van was great...he brought water and their special soft peanut brittle for the 3 couples he was picking up from 2 flights and gave us lots of advice for sightseeing in town.

Also at end of trip, if you need a cab from disembarkation, the excursion desk on the ship has contact info for local cabs there.  It is a small pier area and they said cabs do not just come by looking for runs to airport, Portland, or other spots.  They have to be called ahead. 

That works too.  My point was that the port area at the end does not seem to have waiting cabs/Uber etc.  We did not see any and our Excursion lady on our cruise made a point of telling everyone to make arrangements ahead of time.  They have phone numbers/contact info at their desk. 

We did our American Empress cruise in September 2016.  The weather was beautiful until we hit Astoria.  Astoria was pretty cold and rainy.  The town was lovely though.  I enjoyed the little museum there and all the little shops along the main drag in town.

I haven't been on a European river cruise, but both AQSC cruises I have done have been very relaxing.  There are definitely not the plethora of activities as there is on an ocean cruise, but they did have a lot of talks about the river.

• Like 1

Leafeater, 

Thanks for the usual good advice and beautiful pictures. We will definitely call the Davenport and schedule a van pick-up on our arrival.  I guess we'll use an Uber or Lift for transfer to the airport.  Cruise line transfers are usually higher as it is usually their last chance to make a few extra bucks.  We were going to do the transfer/tour option but flight leaves too early to do both.

Thanks,

Bop/Jim

You’re welcome Jim. I enjoyed revisiting my trip and I hope you have a wonderful cruise and wonderful weather.

We’ve been thinking of doing the Viking Doro river cruise, but the European  river cruises seem to be having quite a few problems  and Europe has gotten so terribly crowded with tourists. I was very happy when I heard Venice would no longer allow cruise ships, but felt badly for those cruisers who have scheduled a trip to include Venice.

I hope you post details of your trip when you return home, I will look forward to hearing if you enjoyed it.

Will do,

I am sure we will enjoy the cruise and itinerary. I will send photos as well.

Our favorite riverboat cruise so far was the Danube from Nuremberg to Budapest. We spent 3 days in Prague and 3 in Budapest pre and post cruise. Fascinating cities!

Jim

On 8/7/2019 at 5:01 PM, califsealion said:

We did our American Empress cruise in September 2016.  The weather was beautiful until we hit Astoria.  Astoria was pretty cold and rainy.  The town was lovely though.  I enjoyed the little museum there and all the little shops along the main drag in town.

I haven't been on a European river cruise, but both AQSC cruises I have done have been very relaxing.  There are definitely not the plethora of activities as there is on an ocean cruise, but they did have a lot of talks about the river.

Califsealion....

Just curious as to what other AQSC cruise have you done?.  I have been looking at the New Orleans to Memphis AQSC cruise and am

wondering how it is.  Unfortunately I have nothing to compare regarding river cruising except our Uniworld cruise from Basel Switzerland to Amsterdam along the Rhine River a few years ago which was OUTSTANDING !!

Thanks, 

31 minutes ago, Buck1949 said:

Califsealion....

Just curious as to what other AQSC cruise have you done?.  I have been looking at the New Orleans to Memphis AQSC cruise and am

wondering how it is.  Unfortunately I have nothing to compare regarding river cruising except our Uniworld cruise from Basel Switzerland to Amsterdam along the Rhine River a few years ago which was OUTSTANDING !!

Thanks, 

We did New Orleans to Memphis on the Duchess early October last year.  My mom and I both loved it.  It is a very relaxing, slow paced trip.  There was a place on the Duchess where you could sit on a couch there was no railing in front of you because stairs went down there.  I sat there for an hour one day with a banana peel in my hand because it was so pretty and relaxing I didn't want to get back up again.  For comparison, my uncle was bored during the river cruising parts, because he said the scenery never changed.  He's clearly a higher energy person than I am.  There was one port we stopped in that the town was pretty run down, but the other towns had cool, old houses you could tour and little shops.  The other passengers on both trips were friendly and happy to chat.

Not sure anything could compare to a European river cruise, but I'd say if you enjoy your experience on the Columbia River, you would enjoy the Lower Mississippi also!

Thank you Califsealion...

That is good to know about the New Orleans to Memphis Cruise.  I like laid back easy going cruises sometimes also.  The Rhine River Cruise was really interesting and the towns we stopped at kept us pretty busy seeing all the history.  If you ever get the chance I would highly recommend that cruise also.  

Thanks again. 

16 hours ago, Buck1949 said:

The Rhine River Cruise was really interesting and the towns we stopped at kept us pretty busy seeing all the history.  If you ever get the chance I would highly recommend that cruise also.  

I definitely have a European river cruise on my "to do" cruise list.  Note - my "to do" cruise list is very long... 🤣

22 hours ago, califsealion said:

I definitely have a European river cruise on my "to do" cruise list.  Note - my "to do" cruise list is very long... 🤣

I wish I could fly the long hours that we did in the past as we would still be doing Europe tours and cruises now, but alas I just can’t.  I have a very dear friend in Germany who keeps wanting us to visit again and wants to take us around to see things we did not see before.  And Italy - my most favorite location being Venice.  Ah the memories.  For now we are doing cruises and tours a little closer to home. 

Get cracking on that bucket (to do) list.  Time flys and soon you will be saying I wish I had gotten to do this or that like I am saying.  😀

Take care, 

On 7/13/2019 at 11:58 AM, Bop said:

.......I'm really looking forward to this trip.  This has been the longest period without a big trip in the last 20 years.  Our friends and TA came and went.  She is setting up a Civil War itinerary and maybe a Christmas market cruise.  "Can't take it with you," right!

More Later,

Bop 

Bop...

did your friend or travel agent set up something for a Civil War itinerary?  Assuming it is a cruise if some sort?  Just curious. 

Take care, 

Hey Buck,

She hasn't come up with anything yet. I did get an email from AQSC advertising a trip with Civil war theme. I'll check my email and see if I can locate it.

I am getting all my information together for this cruise. It has been so long since booking I had to do some digging and review to remember where, what, and when. 

Civil War

DISCOVER CIVIL WAR HISTORY ON A RIVER CRUISE

Travel through the history of the Civil War on an American Queen Steamboat Company cruise. Our Civil War themed cruises take you on an amazing journey through "the havoc of war and the battle's confusion" where historic skirmishes pitted brother against brother in a nation once divided. You will have the opportunity to delve into the tactics, both military and political, that shaped the events of the American Civil War. Learn of the Mississippi River’s strategic value as both a transportation and communication route and explore the state of the country as it was in 1866 and how it still affects us today. Watch tribute artists bring key figures to life and listen to distinguished Civil War historians offer enlightening lectures on a multitude of Civil War topics. Join us for a thought-provoking journey designed to broaden your knowledge and provide insight surrounding the times and the causes that precipitated the conflict. Each Civil War voyage pays tribute to our American history in reminding us all of the fallen soldiers who gave their lives in a war that changed our nation. Your heart will be touched and your knowledge enriched as you capture the poignancy of it all.

Thanks Bop.  I am surprised that I did not get the email as I get plenty from AQSC.  I guess I should look in the catalog that I have to see what is mentioned.  My catalog is for 2019. Not sure I have the 2020 catalog yet, but may be at home in Phx. 

Off the the top of your head are there several cruises that cover the history of the Civil

War or one certain one. 

Thanks for the update. 

My wife ia a Civil War history buff and, if we go, I will be taking directions from her.  Haven't really looked at many itineraries yet.  Guess I better move Civil War Cruise up my bucket list.  Kicking time is getting closer!!!  Yikes!!

Jim

23 hours ago, Bop said:

My wife ia a Civil War history buff and, if we go, I will be taking directions from her.  Haven't really looked at many itineraries yet.  Guess I better move Civil War Cruise up my bucket list.  Kicking time is getting closer!!!  Yikes!!

Jim

Totally understand the taking of directions !!! 

😳

Have you decided on any excursions yet?  It looks like the HO HO buses with tour guides aboard may be the way to go and add 2 or 3 special interest/fun premium excursions, e.g. Jet boat ride.  I assume , like most cruises, you can sign up at any time on board, up until the last minute so early commitment may not be necessary.  I also need to look up the cancellation policy.  Any thoughts appreciated.  Leafeater, any advice?

Jim

1 hour ago, Bop said:

Have you decided on any excursions yet?  It looks like the HO HO buses with tour guides aboard may be the way to go and add 2 or 3 special interest/fun premium excursions, e.g. Jet boat ride.  I assume , like most cruises, you can sign up at any time on board, up until the last minute so early commitment may not be necessary.  I also need to look up the cancellation policy.  Any thoughts appreciated.  Leafeater, any advice?

Jim

Jim,

We are probably going to do the HoHo for most of our trips.  We might do the Spokane /Bing Crosby and have considered the Multnomah Falls excursion, but not sure about it just yet.  We will be doing the after cruise Portland tour/airport transfer as we don’t fly back to Phoenix until around 3pm.  

5 weeks to go !