Just returned from Regal Princess Baltic Cruise

Teddy560

Hi, and thanks for entertaining questions! We’re on Regal leaving Warnemunde on July 29th. We are in a CC mini-suite. If you also had CC, can you comment on the dining room experience? Was it really better than the regular dining room? Also, do you know roughly how many new passengers embarked at Warnemunde vs Copenhagen? I wonder if we are at any disadvantages by boarding a couple days later than most.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, and thanks for entertaining questions! We’re on Regal leaving Warnemunde on July 29th. We are in a CC mini-suite. If you also had CC, can you comment on the dining room experience? Was it really better than the regular dining room? Also, do you know roughly how many new passengers embarked at Warnemunde vs Copenhagen? I wonder if we are at any disadvantages by boarding a couple days later than most.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did not stay in the CC mini suite. Occasionally I would see a CC sign stationed at the entrance of the dining rooms, but we were still able to dine at the same room. My whole family was very impressed with the variety of dishes on the menu nightly. I am sure since Princess charges the CC more, your menu will be worth every penny. :)

The captain announced there were 300+ passengers who joined us at Warnemunde and 100+ from St. Petersburg vs 1600+ from Copenhagen. I don’t think you missed out on anything . It was a long day at Warnemunde so not much activities was on board that day. Lots of activities will repeat. Dining room was mostly empty because people were just too exhausted.

Can I ask if the mini suite comes with any extra benefits? (Haven't been in a Princess mini suite before)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Besides the obvious bigger size, we have two chairs and a small table on the balcony, two TVs, fridge, tub, safe, bathrobes, sofa bed, welcome champagne and hairdryer.

It makes sense for us since we r traveling with kids. :)

Besides the obvious bigger size, we have two chairs and a small table on the balcony, two TVs, fridge, tub, safe, bathrobes, sofa bed, welcome champagne and hairdryer.

It makes sense for us since we r traveling with kids. :)

Thanks. Extra space and larger lounge are always a great thing and champagne!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

welcome home..

i do have a question for you. please tell me if you had the princess excursion or private tour in st petersburg.. i am booked with alla tours in a few weeks and i am concerned about waiting to get off the ship until after all the princess tour have gotten off.

I was on the 5/21 cruise and booked the 2 day grand tour with Alla as well. I have some info here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2519620&page=26

To summarize, I had no problems getting off the ship and getting through customs. Went to the Concerto Dining room at 7:30 AM, waited 5-10 minutes. Then I was sent down to customs where I then stood in line for approximately 15-20 min. I was through customs and outside the terminal by approximately 8:10 AM. It probably would have been faster if I found a faster line. The Russian customs agent was certainly all business, but I didn't have any problems. There will be an Alla Tour person with a sign when you exit customs and enter the main cruise terminal. Just talk with that Alla tour person and she will direct you outside where another Alla tour person will meet you to get you to the proper tour bus.

I think we didn't have any issues because the ship arrived in port early - around 6:30 AM. I wonder what would happen if the ship arrived at 8 AM and if Princess would have forced the non-Princess tour passengers to wait 90 min before disembarking. I believe one trick you can use is if you can procure a Princess tour sticker (perhaps by participating in a previous Princess shore excursion or perhaps asking another Princess passenger for their tour sticker after the completion of their tour), just stick it on your shirt, then just pretend to walk out with the other Princess tour/shore excursion participants into Russian customs during the morning of your St. Petersburg disembarkation. However, I would think that Alla tour would understand your predicament and they would wait for you!

BTW - the second day's disembarkation will be much, much easier and faster! :halo:

Unfortunately not for the mini suite we stayed in. I tried to leave the door ajar with the light on but was unsuccessful. Be careful of the tall step.

We haven't used a night light in several years. We just leave the tv on with the Bridge Cam, and the sound muted. During the night, there is just a slight glow, enough to find your way to the bath. As dawn breaks, you get more and more light, and you can watch as the ship comes into port.

I was on the 5/21 cruise and booked the 2 day grand tour with Alla as well.

I think we didn't have any issues because the ship arrived in port early - around 6:30 AM. I wonder what would happen if the ship arrived at 8 AM and if Princess would have forced the non-Princess tour passengers to wait 90 min before disembarking. I believe one trick you can use is if you can procure a Princess tour sticker (perhaps by participating in a previous Princess shore excursion or perhaps asking another Princess passenger for their tour sticker after the completion of their tour), just stick it on your shirt, then just pretend to walk out with the other Princess tour/shore excursion participants into Russian customs during the morning of your St. Petersburg disembarkation. However, I would think that Alla tour would understand your predicament and they would wait for you!

BTW - the second day's disembarkation will be much, much easier and faster! :halo:

Since I was on a few of the other Princess excursions, from my experience, it is not feasible to reuse or “borrow” a sticker since each tour at each port has its own designated color and number . :( But I like your thinking out of the box idea!

At St. Petersburg, we (non princess excursion) were given a number on a piece of paper to show Princess personnel as we left the ship, no stickers. SPB reassured us beforehand that they will be informed of any early or late arrivals , port change etc. and they will adjust accordingly. They must have some insider informant lol.

We haven't used a night light in several years. We just leave the tv on with the Bridge Cam, and the sound muted. During the night, there is just a slight glow, enough to find your way to the bath. As dawn breaks, you get more and more light, and you can watch as the ship comes into port.

The tv is a great idea but ours was facing us directly just at the end of the bed on the wall, all 32 inches of it :(. Since I’m the one who usually has middle of the night bathroom visits :D, I end up leaving the curtains opened just a tiny slit, since dawn starts around 2am just about everyday !

I am doing this trip next year and plan on using SPB tours

what about the other ports (I am doing RT Southampton on the Sapphire) any suggestions of ship or private tours?

I must say I enjoy the professionalism and the small group in St. Petersburg with SPB. There were 10 of us in the Mercedes van and the ease of the van being able to maneuver in and out of narrow crowded streets, and the fact that you don’t have to walk 10 minutes to your bus parked far away was priceless for us. On our cruise, 700+ passengers used SPB at St. Petersburg.

I almost booked Berlin with them but my kids wanted train ride so we booked with Princess for a hefty price lol. But we did not regret it because I am not good at long car rides (3 hours one way). The prices were not that much different with SPB and Princess for other ports. Plus some of SPB itineraries do not visit places I want to go eg National Gallery in Oslo. But if you prefer smaller groups, I do think other tour companies have its advantages. Hope this helps.

I would also like to add that in Tallinn we just walked to town , took about 15 mins, not much to see on the way there. There’s a shuttle bus that takes you to Viru Gate (like an entrance to town) if u want to save your energy. RT is I think $10 USD pp, and for family of 4 $25 USD. There is a fun little train like a kiddie train that takes u around town if u prefer. A couple we chatted with regretted taking the Hop on Hop off cuz it was restricted in entering many tourist spots.

welcome home..

i do have a question for you. please tell me if you had the princess excursion or private tour in st petersburg.. i am booked with alla tours in a few weeks and i am concerned about waiting to get off the ship until after all the princess tour have gotten off.

Did this cruise last year on the Regal. We booked all of our tours with SPB Tours and had no problem whatsoever debarking in plenty of time to make our tours. Enjoy!

Did this cruise last year on the Regal. We booked all of our tours with SPB Tours and had no problem whatsoever debarking in plenty of time to make our tours. Enjoy!

That is nice to hear, however, not applicable as they changed the rules this year. Most of us going on this itinerary this year are looking for experiences from this years cruisers as this is the first year of the rule change by the Russian port authority.

I am not the OP, but very recently was on the Hal Koningsdam (similar itinerary) They provided many notices in our cabins regarding disembarkation in St. Petersburg. IMO and others I talked to... putting all that fear and worry into us was for not. It turned out not to be the horrible situation we might have expected. I too was on a private tour (with one of the other main 3 private companies) and went down to the gangway a little before 8:00 AM. Yes, there were lines and many people, but they (Russian Gov't) were using what looked like all available lanes and it actually moved right along. Of course, YMMV, this was just my experience. I hope you enjoy St. Petersburg, it's pretty amazing.

So is everything the same on HAL as Princess?

I was looking at pricing yesterday and HAL seem to be cheaper these days in my fare class.

If its all the same maybe I should switch?

• 2 weeks later...
Can you please let me about the taxi from the port to CPH airport? Should we reserve it in advance and if we can pay with CC or cash only? TIA

I would suggest looking at the port/terminal schedule before deciding on whether to take a taxi or perhaps use the Princess shuttle to the airport:

http://www.cmport.com/en/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/copenhagen

http://crew-center.com/copenhagen-cruise-port-schedule-2018

The day of our disembarkation, there were only one or two other small cruise ships. Thus, there were PLENTY of taxis available at the terminal. Unfortunately, I made the decision to take the Princess shuttle as I was worried beforehand, but there was nothing to worry about. The Princess shuttle is a bit more expensive for two or more people.

However, I can imagine there may be a dearth of taxis on disembarkation day if there are multiple large cruise ships disembarking on that same day, so please check the cruise port calendar. If you have any doubt, I would probably suggesting just booking the Princess shuttle.

If you do take the taxi, I believe they do accept credit cards - but you have to tell the taxi driver immediately upon entering the taxi that you want to use a credit card. I used cash the two times I used the taxis. The two taxi drivers seemed pretty friendly and honest, but that was just a small sampling of two taxi drivers...

Are you able to tell me if there was much availability of free WiFi at the Terminals or around the town, at the different Ports.

Also if you perhaps still have a copy of a Princess Patter which lists the opening & closing times of the various restaurants, for example breakfast,lunch,dinner. I'm assuming this might be different for Sea Days & Port Days.

Thanks in advance :)

The tv is a great idea but ours was facing us directly just at the end of the bed on the wall, all 32 inches of it :(. Since I’m the one who usually has middle of the night bathroom visits :D, I end up leaving the curtains opened just a tiny slit, since dawn starts around 2am just about everyday !

The bridge cam is dark at night. However, in the north, such as the Baltic, or Alaska, YMMV.

Are you able to tell me if there was much availability of free WiFi at the Terminals or around the town, at the different Ports.

Also if you perhaps still have a copy of a Princess Patter which lists the opening & closing times of the various restaurants, for example breakfast,lunch,dinner. I'm assuming this might be different for Sea Days & Port Days.

Thanks in advance :)