Handicapped Phonies

bonzo10803

If you know you need wheelchair assistance on and off the ship, you need to add $40 total at least to your budget to thank the people who will be helping you. If you can't afford to tip people who assist you, you need to wait before booking until you save up a little more money.

Anybody spending hundreds (most likely thousands) to take a cruise or an airplane flight needs to budget better if they don't have tip money.

Direct enough?

I agree. Your spending thousands, I'm sure $40 is not going to break the bank. My MIL before she passed always needed a wheelchair to and from the plane. She had no handicap other then walking real slow and getting tired. She always gave the wonderful people that walked her and waited for her luggage and were so lovely to her at least a $20. People are kind out there. Let's not forget that!

My sister had a brain aneurysm burst and then had a stroke during surgery. She’s actually coping fairly well but would definitely need a wheelchair onboard as she’s slower than molasses!

Her husband suffers from a long list of mental diagnoses. He does manage to work 12 hours a week bagging groceries but that’s all he can handle.

So they’re stuck with a small amount of SSDI between the two of them. They’re very poor.

Her husband’s family was kind enough to buy them a cruise vacation a few years ago. I’d have to ask my sister, but if the family didn’t think ahead of time to give them extra money for tipping for wheelchair assistance, they wouldn’t have had the funds to do so. :(

Pretty sure the staff would have happily assisted her anyhow. It’s obvious they’re poor.

My sister had a brain aneurysm burst and then had a stroke during surgery. She’s actually coping fairly well but would definitely need a wheelchair onboard as she’s slower than molasses!

Her husband suffers from a long list of mental diagnoses. He does manage to work 12 hours a week bagging groceries but that’s all he can handle.

So they’re stuck with a small amount of SSDI between the two of them. They’re very poor.

Her husband’s family was kind enough to buy them a cruise vacation a few years ago. I’d have to ask my sister, but if the family didn’t think ahead of time to give them extra money for tipping for wheelchair assistance, they wouldn’t have had the funds to do so. :(

Pretty sure the staff would have happily assisted her anyhow. It’s obvious they’re poor.

It’s not required to tip the wheelchair-pusher. That is the job the airlines hire them to do. However, it is the gracious thing to do, but if you don’t have the $, you don’t have $. It’s not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

I hope your relatives enjoyed their cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The staff assists anyone without any fee. The tip is just a voluntary, optional expression of appreciation for their kindness.

Raised toilets seats and shower seats are definitely available from NCL for folks in standard cabins that need that assistance. I would just be sure to reserve in advance with the NCL Access Department (866-584-9756) because I'm not sure of how many there are to go around.

Definitely an option for folks who don't require a "full wheelchair turnaround" cabin!

This is good to know! DH has had so many surgeries he has a hard time with low toilet seats. We just replaced our home one with the high type. I’ll definitely call....