Windsor Tour

CynthiaRI

We will be taking the Cunard Windsor tour on our roundtrip TA in a few weeks. Has anyone else done this tour? Any suggestions on how to make the most of our time there? (Yes, I know it's a long drive.) How much time did you have to explore the town after the castle? Thanks!

Re: Windsor Tour

I have done the Windsor Tour from the Queen Mary 2 several times and it is very good. However, the drive is approx. 1 hr. 15 minutes (there is a toilet on the bus) which eats into your tour time. This also applies to the return trip. Therefore, there is a comfortable amount of time for your castle tour, which is lovely and quick shopping inside the grounds, however it only leaves you approx. 1 hour to roam the town. If you have a specific shop you want to visit, go directly to it! Time flies but it is definitely worth the day outing. Enjoy! I am sailing July 6 to Southampton and will doing the trip to Windsor again.

We've done this tour and it's well worth the time. The English countryside was lovely so we didn't mind the trip there at all.

We broke off from the Castle tour conducted by the guide (telling her we would meet them at the bus) and walked around the grounds on our own and then went into town. Specifically down by the river where there's a park and usually houseboats. Very nice.

Don't feel like you have to stay with the guide if you're not interested in every bit of history.

We did the Windsor tour last Sept. I was very glad to see England by bus, only having been in Heathrow airport a couple of times. I enjoyed the guided tour of the chapel very much. I was thrilled to walk where Henry VIII walked and seeing all the royal tombs. We did a self guided tour of the castle and grounds, which was just fine. The doll house is worth a QUICK look. . There are plenty of traditional palace guards marching around for photo ops. The town is charming and I was instructed to look above the modern store fronts to see the historic architecture of the buildings. It is a well planned and well timed day trip for sight seeing, lunching and shopping. Eton is across the river and an easy walk to view. I am hoping to do the London and Tower of London tour this April on another NYC - Southampton round trip. Enjoy!