Disabled shore excursions - Monteray, CA

MissAppleBear

I know they use a Tender at this port. what are the restriction for wheelchairs? Manual wheelchairs are generally allowed but power chairs and scooters are not? Do they have stair climbers to help get disabled persons into the tender? Any info would be amazing!

I would talk to the Special Needs people. I’m inclined to say nothing that can’t be folded up and handed from the ship to the tender would be allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What we experienced--different ship, different port, but still tender. There was a crew elevator down to the tender level which we were allowed to use in both directions. To board the tender, she had to be able to traverse 2 or 3 steps using a railing and a steadying arm of a crew person. There would be no way to board a tender while in a wheelchair; the ability to walk a few feet and handle a couple of steps was essential. No, they couldn't put a heavy piece of equipment into the tender (like a scooter). We were advised that she could take a standard chair or walker provided it would collapse.

Your situation may vary.

What we experienced--different ship' date=' different port, but still tender. There was a crew elevator down to the tender level which we were allowed to use in both directions. To board the tender, she had to be able to traverse 2 or 3 steps using a railing and a steadying arm of a crew person. There would be no way to board a tender while in a wheelchair; the ability to walk a few feet and handle a couple of steps was essential. No, they couldn't put a heavy piece of equipment into the tender (like a scooter). We were advised that she could take a standard chair or walker provided it would collapse.

Your situation may vary.[/quote']

This is correct. If you can't get out of the chair and negotiate the few steps into the bobbing tender they won't let you go. Period.