New Fort Lauderdale Downtown Hotel(s) - Question on Location

ChuckL

We are currently holding a booking at the Renaissance Hotel for a pre-cruise night stay on March 31. We chose a club level room to get a breakfast included after deciding against booking the Embassy Suites.

In the mean time, I found out that the Starwood group of hotels is opening up a new 2 in 1 building hotel in downtown Fort Lauderdale this fall. They are two new brands for the hotel chain, and will be the Element Fort Lauderdale Downtown and The Dalmar, Fort Lauderdale, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel. The Dalmar is more upscale than the Element, but both look like they are going to be beautiful hotels with great shared facilities and amenities. They are located on N. Federal Highway at 3rd.

We can get a Corner King Suite at the Element, including a free hot breakfast, for approximately the same cost as the room at the Renaissance Hotel (in the 17th Street area), and the room is at least twice larger. It would be nice to be in a brand new hotel, but I'm not sure about the location as we've never stayed in that area. Could someone let us know what is around that area for dining and activities? BTW, they provide a free shuttle within a three mile radius that goes to downtown as well as the beach, so that could affect our decision.

One way or the other, we now want to make a decision between the Renaissance Hotel and the new Element. Thoughts???

Still hoping to find out more about this area in downtown Fort Lauderdale (N Federal Hwy at 3rd) and whether there are things to do around there and if its safe to walk around there. I would like to make a decision on our hotel booking and whether we should just stay at the Renaissance as originally planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Give it some more time. Someone hopefully will have some information for you. Several locals are on this forum.

I haven't stayed in the area you are asking about, but I have stayed on 17th Street & the Renaissance & several other hotels. there's plenty of restaurants & some shopping close by. Very inexpensive to use uber or lyft. :)

Give it some more time. Someone hopefully will have some information for you. Several locals are on this forum.

I haven't stayed in the area you are asking about, but I have stayed on 17th Street & the Renaissance & several other hotels. there's plenty of restaurants & some shopping close by. Very inexpensive to use uber or lyft. :)

Thanks, I will! Several years ago, it seemed like one of the locals VERY actively participated, but I can’t remember her username. 😁

They are basically Las Olas hotels but a couple of blocks off Las Olas. If you aren't familiar with Fort Lauderdale, you have 3 "locations". Beach, Las Olas, or Somewhere else (airport, suburb, whatever). Las Olas is a great place to be.

Thanks, I will! Several years ago, it seemed like one of the locals VERY actively participated, but I can’t remember her username. 😁

BlueHerons! And she gives great information on South Florida.

Just wanted to clarify the location of the hotel since I originally just said N Federal Highway at 3rd. It is NE 3rd Street, and it looks very close to the Greyhound Bus Terminal. I would still like to hear from someone that is local regarding the safety of walking around that area and what things there are to do in the area. Since I didn’t specify 3rd as NE 3rd Street, I’m not sure this is in the Las Olas area as poster BNBR said previously.

Just wanted to clarify the location of the hotel since I originally just said N Federal Highway at 3rd. It is NE 3rd Street, and it looks very close to the Greyhound Bus Terminal. I would still like to hear from someone that is local regarding the safety of walking around that area and what things there are to do in the area. Since I didn’t specify 3rd as NE 3rd Street, I’m not sure this is in the Las Olas area as poster BNBR said previously.

It's a couple of blocks off Las Olas, as I said previously. Generally safe area.

You will find the exact locations of all the new and forthcoming hotels on this map: Cruise Port Everglades Hotels.

Just zoom in on the Las Olas area.

I was in that area just a few months ago and the downtown area is really taking off - lots of construction. In a year or so the area will look very different and with more visitors around, more vibrant.

Still after dark I would take the shuttle service because it is just a bit too far to walk down to the Las Olas strip in my opinion. And with 5 or so restaurants on the premises you probably do not need to wander out for dinner!

I've eaten at Top Hat deli around the corner and recommend it highly for lunch if in the area. Would not drive far to go there though. Expensive...

You will find the exact locations of all the new and forthcoming hotels on this map: Cruise Port Everglades Hotels.

Just zoom in on the Las Olas area.

I was in that area just a few months ago and the downtown area is really taking off - lots of construction. In a year or so the area will look very different and with more visitors around, more vibrant.

Still after dark I would take the shuttle service because it is just a bit too far to walk down to the Las Olas strip in my opinion. And with 5 or so restaurants on the premises you probably do not need to wander out for dinner!

I've eaten at Top Hat deli around the corner and recommend it highly for lunch if in the area. Would not drive far to go there though. Expensive...

Thanks for all of the info and map!

BNBR, thanks for clarifying my lack of FL geography and restating that I would still be in the area of Las Olas if we stay at the Element.

Anybody with a favorite restaurant (any style of food) for a nice dinner in Las Olas if we venture out of the hotel?