What if you miss your flight?

Luckyroot

I have a big problem that I hope y'all can offer some advice about.

We are taking the 5 day Zenith cruise out of Miami to GC and Key West.

When we took this same cruise in November, the itinerary was Miami, Sea Day, Grand Cayman, Sea Day, Key West, Miami. We cleared customs in KW (after a HUGE delay, One woman refused to leave her cabin, there was a mob at her door, security involved, fights etc. really ugly). It took over 2 hours to clear customs and then of course everyone was pushing to get off the ship. Needless to say, we docked at 7am, and weren't on shore till 11am.

But, when we arrived in Miami at 8am they started disembarkation immediately. We had 10:30 tags and were still at the airport in time that we COULD have hopped on the 11:00 flight home (but we had checked our luggage so we couldn't fly standby).

So, the point of my story........I booked an 11 am flight home this time, and NOW I see that we do KW first and will actually have to clear customs in Miami before disembarkation.

Should we take our chances and keep the 11am flight? The next two flights are both almost sold out, and we'd be in the back row of the plane (which I hate). What happens if you don't make your flight on time? I've never been late before (I'm a super earlybird). Do you just have to wait for availability on the next flight? does it cost you money?

To pay to change the tickets now would cost over $110 and I just don't want to spend it if there are alternatives. (please don't flame me for being cheap!) I don't mind sitting around waiting if it won't cost, but I really would like to catch the earlier flight if we can.

Just wondering what happens if you miss your flight because you aren't at the airport in time.

Ruth, It depends on the airline you are using--you need to ask them. Sounds as if you booked your own flights, so call the airline and ask these questions. They all have different rules. One bit of advice, be sure to take your cell phone and CALL them in advance if it looks like you will be too late to catch the plane; penalties are usually less if you cancel before the schedule time of the flight than if you just don't show. Some airlines allow you to fly standby if you miss your flight, others require re-booking or change fees.

When I missed my flight in Miami in January, AA did not make me pay anything to get on the next flight, but I don't know if that is their standard policy or not. The only problem was there was only one seat available the rest of the day to get me back to Little Rock. If the later flights are close to sold out already, you probably won't have a chance of getting onto them if you miss your 11am flight.

Also, even if they are almost sold out, there is no guarantee that you would be in the back row if you bought those seats now. What you can do is when you check in at the airport ask to be moved to the bulkhead or exit row seats - they generally keep those for airport check in.

Ruth, It depends on the airline you are using--you need to ask them.

Cheryl, thanks for this sound advice. I called the airlines (Continental) and they said that as long as you are at the airport within 2 hours of the scheduled departure time, you can fly standby for no extra charge on the next available flight. They have 4 more flights that day, so I think we're just going to leave it as is, and hope for the best.

Thanks to everyone for their input (and I too, hope that same lady isn't on our cruise again! LOL)

Change your flight the ships tell you book nothing before noon and I would not even do that. As you have yourself experienced docking time is no indication of when you will be allowed off that is totally in the hands of customs and immigration and I have been on cruises where no one left that ship before noon.

Luckyroot, don't sweat it. You'll make it with plenty of time to spare. If you were traveling out of Port of Miami I'd be a little more concerned. Let the purser know you want to get off as early as possible when you arrive at Port Everglades. ;)

Luckyroot, don't sweat it. You'll make it with plenty of time to spare. If you were traveling out of Port of Miami I'd be a little more concerned. Let the purser know you want to get off as early as possible when you arrive at Port Everglades. ;)

They are traveling out of Miami.

They are traveling out of Miami.

Oops, my bad. Luckyroot, talk with the purser, see if you can be one of the first off the ship. If everything goes well with disembarcation you still may be able to pull it off. Good Luck. :o

Archived