Alaskan cruise for first time on Norwegian?

FSU Girl

I’m looking at doing a cruise to Alaska and was thinking of going on the Norwegian Bliss. I’ve never sailed Norwegian before, would this be a good itinerary to try a new cruise line? My fiancé and I have been sailing on Disney mostly lately. I’ve been to Alaska as a teenager, sailed on Princess.

The Bliss seems like a nice ship. Was thinking of either a balcony room or possibly the Haven. Haven might be a stretch though it’s pretty pricy.

Will I need to do a lot of planning before sailing since I’ve never been on those cruise line? I know they do dinner differently on Norwegian than other cruises.

I have friends who’ve sailed the three night sailings on Norwegian but nothing longer so was hoping for some opinions

Hello Fellow Nole (I'm assuming because of the FSU....I'm aware there are other FSUs out there)

Norwegian is very laid back compared to the other lines you mentioned, but it's not intimidating. It's pretty much just like a land restaurant...you go to the hostess stand, and they either seat you or give you a buzzer (usually not more than a 10-15 minute wait). For the specialty restaurants, it's usually best to make a reservation, and you just come at the appointed time.

Haven't personally been on the Bliss since it is brand new, but I have been on the Escape which is considered the sister ship, and it was an awesome ship. It will be the most like Disney in the amenities and activities that are offered.

Honestly...Alaska is amazing, and for me it wouldn't matter what cruise line I was on. The scenery and experience make up for any "lack" of luxury you might experience trying a new cruise line.

I’m looking at doing a cruise to Alaska and was thinking of going on the Norwegian Bliss. I’ve never sailed Norwegian before, would this be a good itinerary to try a new cruise line? My fiancé and I have been sailing on Disney mostly lately. I’ve been to Alaska as a teenager, sailed on Princess. The Bliss seems like a nice ship. Was thinking of either a balcony room or possibly the Haven. Haven might be a stretch though it’s pretty pricy. Will I need to do a lot of planning before sailing since I’ve never been on those cruise line? I know they do dinner differently on Norwegian than other cruises. I have friends who’ve sailed the three night sailings on Norwegian but nothing longer so was hoping for some opinions

We have sailed in NCL suites and Haven rooms many times, but would not consider paying the prices they are asking for a Haven room on the Bliss to Alaska. Stick to a balcony.

If you are looking for a future cruise, the itinerary on the Bliss next year is a little bit better than this year with a the all-day trip up Glacier Bay. We have sailed the current itinerary several times and enjoy the shorter trip to Sawyer glacier.

Dining on NCL is very casual. If you are eating in the main dining rooms, show up when you are hungry or when it fits your schedule best. You will be seated quickly on a 2-top table to your self. No set dining times. No eating at the pace of your table. If you want to have a leisurely dinner, you can sit there all night. If you are rushing off to a show, your waiter will serve you as quickly as you want. On the Bliss, you can wear shorts to the main dining rooms for all meals every day. Similar to MyTime Dining on RCL, it is the best way to have dinner.

If you want a sneak peak at the Bliss, the following link takes you to our live post on the Bliss' first trip to Alaska https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2641186

Hello Fellow Nole (I'm assuming because of the FSU....I'm aware there are other FSUs out there)

Norwegian is very laid back compared to the other lines you mentioned, but it's not intimidating. It's pretty much just like a land restaurant...you go to the hostess stand, and they either seat you or give you a buzzer (usually not more than a 10-15 minute wait). For the specialty restaurants, it's usually best to make a reservation, and you just come at the appointed time.

Haven't personally been on the Bliss since it is brand new, but I have been on the Escape which is considered the sister ship, and it was an awesome ship. It will be the most like Disney in the amenities and activities that are offered.

Honestly...Alaska is amazing, and for me it wouldn't matter what cruise line I was on. The scenery and experience make up for any "lack" of luxury you might experience trying a new cruise line.

Yes I’m a fellow Nole :)

That’s good to hear you really liked the sister ship. I thought since the cruise ship is basically brand new it would be really nice sailing on her. The dining sounds simple enough, just treating it like a normal restaurant.

Alaska is really beautiful ever since I went the one time I’ve wanted to go back

We have sailed in NCL suites and Haven rooms many times, but would not consider paying the prices they are asking for a Haven room on the Bliss to Alaska. Stick to a balcony.

If you are looking for a future cruise, the itinerary on the Bliss next year is a little bit better than this year with a the all-day trip up Glacier Bay. We have sailed the current itinerary several times and enjoy the shorter trip to Sawyer glacier.

Dining on NCL is very casual. If you are eating in the main dining rooms, show up when you are hungry or when it fits your schedule best. You will be seated quickly on a 2-top table to your self. No set dining times. No eating at the pace of your table. If you want to have a leisurely dinner, you can sit there all night. If you are rushing off to a show, your waiter will serve you as quickly as you want. On the Bliss, you can wear shorts to the main dining rooms for all meals every day. Similar to MyTime Dining on RCL, it is the best way to have dinner.

If you want a sneak peak at the Bliss, the following link takes you to our live post on the Bliss' first trip to Alaska https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2641186

Ya the Haven prices are so much more than a basic balcony room I don’t think we could stomach the cost. We are looking at going next year, so that’s good you like that itinarary better. For dining should we make reservations ahead of time? Or just showing up won’t result in too long of a wait? Thank you for that link!

Ya the Haven prices are so much more than a basic balcony room I don’t think we could stomach the cost. We are looking at going next year, so that’s good you like that itinarary better. For dining should we make reservations ahead of time? Or just showing up won’t result in too long of a wait? Thank you for that link!

Main dining room, you can just walk up. If you are really prompt, you can make a reservation for faster seating.

For specialty restaurants you MUST make reservations. Reservations open 120 before departure. You should try to book on day 120. Cagney’s and Teppanyaki are the most popular and will sell out. NCL holds tables for onboard bookings, but they will sell out on embarkation day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HI,

Here's some (partially) unsolicited advice from an Alaska resident who cruises a lot. I would recommend that you do one of the one-way cruises and either fly to or from Alaska at beginning or end of your cruise. spend a few days in Alaska as the cruise only scratches the surface.

One of the highlights of an Alaskan cruise is visiting Glacier Bay National Park. They only allow two ships per day to enter so many cruises do not see it. I have done Alaska cruises with and without Glacier Bay and wholeheartedly suggest you make GB a priority.

Last year we sailed south from Alaska to Vancouver on Princess, stayed a few days and then sailed back north to Alaska on NCL. (Same itinerary but in reverse) We had a good time on both (both went to Glacier Bay). However, I would recommend Princess over NCL for an Alaska cruise. Princess had Alaska-themed meal nights, Alaska-themed entertainment, a naturalist onboard to narrate points of interest, staff and crew in Alaska-themed outfits (lumberjacks, woodsmen, saloon girls, etc.) The ship was decorated with lots of Alaska-themed artwork. We had Libbey Riddles (first woman to win the Iditarod) onboard as a speaker and in one port they brought sled dog puppies onboard for passengers to interact with.

In a review I did back then I summarized by saying "NCL cruised to Alaska and Princess provided an Alaskan cruise".

You'll have a good time either way but you've been advised. clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

~Brian