Walking/beach/snorkel itinerary

mailbroad

My husband and I love to walk, so we're interested in walking the rail trail, and combining that with beaching and snorkeling. Should we plan on transporting ourselves to another part of the island to access an especially nice beach , or section of the trail? Any ideas would be appreciated.

The problem I have with your plan is that the rail trail is not close to any major beaches, for snorkeling or for swimming.

I would suggest you break the activities into 2 buckets. One bucket for the rail trail and beach, and the other for snorkeling. Here is a map of the rail trail showing what is available for hiking:

b4dcceb17d6e74d2434c351d7974c2d8.jpg

Your cruise ship will be at the Dockyard (upper left corner). You can start the rail trail in Somerset which is about a 10 minute ride from the Dockyard. You could walk until you're abreast of Gibbs Lighthouse. Exit the rail trail and head towards Gibbs L/H. Pass Gibbs on your right and make your way to South Road. Turn left onto South Rd and continue to Horseshoe Bay Beach which will be on the right. South Rd is a bus route so you could take the bus to HSB. You can get great views of Bermuda atop Gibbs.

At HSB you could swim, and snorkel at the northeast end of the beach. HSB is not the best beach for snorkeling. Tobacco Bay at the east end of Bermuda (upper right corner of map) is the most popular beach for snorkeling.

There is a beach on the North Shore named Shelly Bay but it is about a third of the way between Hamilton and St George's.

I hope someone else posts because I'm sure I missed something.

SBtS