El Yunque rainforest excursion

katjoeus

We're stopping in SJ in mid-July, but it's only for a half day, and since we stayed in SJ for three nights after a cruise a couple of years ago, we've already seen pretty much everything there is to be seen in the (gorgeous) Old Town. So we decided to book the ship's excursion to El Yunque as we didn't get to see that last time, plus we wouldn't have to worry about timing.

However, I have now read repeatedly that most of El Yunque is still closed due to hurricane damage? I don't want to get bussed there if there isn't much to see (and pay lots of money for it!!).

I have contacted RC about this but not sure if I'll get a good answer from them. Has anyone been there recently?

Thanks for your help

See my review from May. The short answer is, there's still some stuff to see but a lot is closed due to road damage (as of last check the tower was still closed). We still had a great morning checking out the falls, hiking down part way along a trail, checking out a cave nearby etc but we used a private tour, not ships tour, not sure what they are covering.

OK, thanks for the answer - I was wondering/hoping that between May and now stuff would have progressed a little...I tried calling them directly but I can't get through to them, all I get is a fast beep-beep-beep.

I have a FB friend in PR so she's trying to find out more detailed information for me. Will come back here to post once I get something for reference!

But you're saying it was still worth it back in May?

Depends on your expectation. We did it in the morning as PART of a more varied itinerary, so were only there for about 90 mins to 2 hours max. What we were able to see was fine for that amount of time. For a full day, we would have been bored as heck with what was available then. (If Ellis is available and budget permits I would strongly recommend him or if not another private tour. Then you can be flexible as conditions warrant, such as heavy rain, etc)

Our actual itinerary was leave Old San Juan, visit rainforest, quick beach stop on way back and check out a cave, lunch and end at San Cristobal to explore on our own. That took about 6 hours including walk from fort back to ship. In retrospect we would have liked to explore OSJ more, but it was end of cruise, hot, and we were exhausted.

The National Forest service El Yunque FB page posts updates as warranted.

OK, thanks for the answer - I was wondering/hoping that between May and now stuff would have progressed a little...I tried calling them directly but I can't get through to them, all I get is a fast beep-beep-beep.

I have a FB friend in PR so she's trying to find out more detailed information for me. Will come back here to post once I get something for reference!

But you're saying it was still worth it back in May?

Oh no!! Boring what way?

So far, I've read that people were mostly still really enjoying their trip....ours is only half day anyway bc the ship departs at 2:30pm that day, so ont too many other options!!

I think it all depends on what you expect - when it comes down to it, its van transport to a couple of spots in the rainforest with some narration. I could do that kind of thing all day, beach people might find it very tedious (oh look, another waterfall! Oooh, plants!)

Oh no!! Boring what way?

So far, I've read that people were mostly still really enjoying their trip....ours is only half day anyway bc the ship departs at 2:30pm that day, so ont too many other options!!

So this is the reply I received from RC:

The park will be available as the tour is active and available. The tour that is not available is the Hike, the trail was damage due to hurricane. The park is open and opened.

Not quite sure what they mean by "open and opened" LOL. Doesn't really answer my question whether everything that would normally be included in this excursion can be done - I knew that the park was open per se, just not how much can be done / seen. But I guess I'll roll with it - I would really like to see it as we didn't last time. Plus, I really wouldn't know what to do with this half day that we have in PR since it's only been a couple of years since we explored the old town and the forts etc.!

Oh no!! Boring what way?

Ours (booked with the ship) was boring because they took us to parts of the rain forest in a big bus. We had a few stops where we could walk around. Nothing really to see that we can't see at a State Park at home.

Feel sure some rain forest excursions have to be better.

I really would recommend a private tour if budget permits. You can still see the rainforest and have a little more flexibility.

So this is the reply I received from RC:

The park will be available as the tour is active and available. The tour that is not available is the Hike, the trail was damage due to hurricane. The park is open and opened.

Not quite sure what they mean by "open and opened" LOL. Doesn't really answer my question whether everything that would normally be included in this excursion can be done - I knew that the park was open per se, just not how much can be done / seen. But I guess I'll roll with it - I would really like to see it as we didn't last time. Plus, I really wouldn't know what to do with this half day that we have in PR since it's only been a couple of years since we explored the old town and the forts etc.!