Viva La Vista Detailed Review April 15-21-2018 Photos, Funtimes,Menus, and More

London drove us to Blue Beach. He was friends with the woman at the gate and she let my kids and I in for free. The kids swam for a bit.

Blue Beach is near the port and is ideal if you want a no frills beach day. There is a small entrance fee, water toys, beach loungers, umbrellas, a restaurant and bar. We didn't stay long. We were all wiped out from the Blue Hole.

London drove us back to the port and dropped us off near the shopping area. I paid our balance and tipped London handsomely. I walked into a few shops and purchased a few things to take home. I bought a huge bag of blue mountain coffee for my coworkers to try.

I read a lot of negative reviews about Jamaica. Many people advise you to stay on the ship. However everyone was friendly. Never once did I feel threatened or unsafe. My kids and I drove into the jungle with a man we never met, I placed my daughter in the arms of a stranger who would swim across the falls with her. We ate lunch at one of the most grungiest of places. It was the best experience ever. We stepped out of our comfort zone and went with the flow and this was indeed the best day ever.

Ocho Rios is poor, the money you spend here feeds the neediest of people. There is no welfare here and the vendors at the port are all in competition for your business, so that they can provide for themselves and their families. Many of them will never know the privilege of even stepping foot on a cruise ship. So BE KIND. Leave the snobbish entitled attitude at home. Not all Jamaicans are thugs out to rob or harm tourists. Many are hard working people simply selling wares to survive. The attitude that you go in with will determine the experience that you will have.

• Like 2

We’ve been to the Blue Hole before. Beautiful place and the price is incredible. We had the same wonderful experience with the fantastic staff.

So glad you are mentioning the tips you give. I always believe In tipping good experience good service. particularly in areas where I know it’s much needed. Seems sometimes people forget that. Even my extended family. Ive been mortified when we have cruised with them and they don’t tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Once back on the ship we showered and headed to Jiji's for dinner. Once again the restaurant was almost vacant. There was only one other party of two having dinner. The kids and I were seated right away. The table settings and decor were decadent almost out of place for a casual restaurant.

IMG_0714-S.jpg

IMG_0713-S.jpg

Complimentary Appetizer were Asian inspired chips with various sauces. My favorite sauce was the sweet chili.

IMG_0722-S.jpg

The menu is family style similar to P.F Changs. Each person selects and entree and you all share. You are given a marker to mark the entrees that you want, you then hand this back to the hovering waiter.

IMG_0716-S.jpg

We had the pot stickers they were so good my son ordered another portion as his dessert.

IMG_0727-S.jpg

Short Ribs

IMG_0732-S.jpg

The presentation of the food was very artistic especially the pork belly

IMG_0734-S.jpg

Dinner was going well until the fried rice was served. The one menu item that should be exceptional, was a total flop. The rice tasted like Uncle Ben's microwave 90 second rice. I was sorely disappointed. I wanted to walk in the kitchen and show em how it's done. They key to a good fried rice is, first of all cold day or rice, sesame oil, fried egg, bean sprouts, and carrots and a few peas.

IMG_0733%281%29-S.jpg

Wore a casual dress to JiJi's

IMG_0728-S.jpg

We’ve been to the Blue Hole before. Beautiful place and the price is incredible. We had the same wonderful experience with the fantastic staff.

So glad you are mentioning the tips you give. I always believe In tipping good experience good service. particularly in areas where I know it’s much needed. Seems sometimes people forget that. Even my extended family. Ive been mortified when we have cruised with them and they don’t tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Someone once said to me, " If you buy a canoe, paint it black because it won't tip". The disgust for this mentality burned into my soul. I always tip above and beyond. I never wanted to be viewed as an ungrateful canoe. My 15 year old son also tips his barber and his Uber or Lyft driver without being told to do so.

Day 2 was also our first formal night. I had reservations to theSteakhouse this night but was told by our waiter the night before that tonightwas going to be Surf and Turf nite. He suggested I move my steakhousereservation to another nite. One thingthat was very impressive is the fact that Carnival does not charge a fee tomove or cancel your reservation.

The kids and I dressed for our first formal nite and left a bitearly for photos. I didn’t like my outfit however my legs were aching from wearingheels the night before and all the walking from day one and two. So, I optedfor something that I could pair with a short heel or wedge sandal. I ended up looking like a large bag of cottoncandy lol.

IMG_0297-S.jpg

IMG_0295-S.jpg

IMG_0296-S.jpg

formal%20nite%201-S.jpg

formal%20nite%202-S.jpg

BEAUTIFUL family!!!!! You are gorgeous !!

What a terrific family! Your good parenting and pride in those great kids are very evident. Society needs more people like you!

I'm loving your review...you have a writing style that makes us readers feel like we know you.

After Jiji's we walked around for a bit. Ellington wanted to go back to the pool and water park so off we went to change into swim suits again.

IMG_0268-S.jpg

Diva in the making

IMG_0278-S.jpg

IMG_0266-S.jpg

My one regret is that I did not get Ellington's hair braided prior to the cruise. Every night I had to shampoo and condition her hair. This girl has a lot of hair it may not look like it when it's in ponytails but this was my evening nightmare.

IMG_1097-S.jpg

IMG_1098-S.jpg

We are both in tears by the time it's done. For some reason I did not inherit the hair styling gene. Next time I am paying to have her hair braided before we set sail.

Ocean Plaza which is located on deck 5 had live Cuban inspired music mid-day and a small offering of lite snacks

IMG_1187-S.jpg

IMG_1218-S.jpg

IMG_1206-S.jpg

Langston found Blue Velvet cake at the Shake Spot. He ate a slice every day. Here is is hanging out in Ocean Plaza with me and his huge hunk of cake

IMG_1222-S.jpg

IMG_1217-S.jpg

IMG_1219-S.jpg

London drove us to Blue Beach. He was friends with the woman at the gate and she let my kids and I in for free. The kids swam for a bit.

Blue Beach is near the port and is ideal if you want a no frills beach day. There is a small entrance fee, water toys, beach loungers, umbrellas, a restaurant and bar. We didn't stay long. We were all wiped out from the Blue Hole.

London drove us back to the port and dropped us off near the shopping area. I paid our balance and tipped London handsomely. I walked into a few shops and purchased a few things to take home. I bought a huge bag of blue mountain coffee for my coworkers to try.

I read a lot of negative reviews about Jamaica. Many people advise you to stay on the ship. However everyone was friendly. Never once did I feel threatened or unsafe. My kids and I drove into the jungle with a man we never met, I placed my daughter in the arms of a stranger who would swim across the falls with her. We ate lunch at one of the most grungiest of places. It was the best experience ever. We stepped out of our comfort zone and went with the flow and this was indeed the best day ever.

Ocho Rios is poor, the money you spend here feeds the neediest of people. There is no welfare here and the vendors at the port are all in competition for your business, so that they can provide for themselves and their families. Many of them will never know the privilege of even stepping foot on a cruise ship. So BE KIND. Leave the snobbish entitled attitude at home. Not all Jamaicans are thugs out to rob or harm tourists. Many are hard working people simply selling wares to survive. The attitude that you go in with will determine the experience that you will have.

Thank you so much for this beautiful review. I am thoroughly enjoying it. You have a beautiful family and a beautiful heart and spirit, I can tell from the things you say.

Your son has me laughing as he is just like my 14 year old, to a T. Your review is so detailed and mostly, realistic and I like how you break down the costs of things so that people understand. Sometimes people come here who have never cruised. I know I came here in 2009 and was still a relatively new cruiser. We didn’t have Facebook and all of that. I would come here and go to the library and check out books about travel and cruising and learned so much. I am still here after all these years with an addiction to cruising, I went on 3 last year and have 3 scheduled for this year. Let me keep reading and thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Langston was turning 15 on April 18th. It was now April 17th and I had yet to buy him a birthday present.

Oh gosh where did the time go. I'm tearing up just typing this. Langston is my straight A student. He gives me no problems whatsoever, he is well mannered, a true Southern Gentleman. He is very studious, a math and science wiz and plans to study Aerospace Engineering at Virginia Tech in 2021. Oh I forgot to mention that we recently moved from Virginia. Langston is a laid back Virginian at heart. At his core he is kind and compassionate.

Anyhow Langston received birthday money from his great-grandma before we left for the cruise He'd wanted to buy a watch at the $10.00 dollar watch sale. I kept hinting that mother's day was coming up and I hope he had a plan. He NEVER gets me anything on mothers day. No card, no macaroni necklace NOTHING I tell ya. He was so excited about the $10.00 watch sale. I wanted to get him a nice gift however he was glued to my hip the entire cruise thus far. I made up an excuse at some point to break away from him. I then slipped into the Watch store and purchased him a Rose Gold Michael Kors Smart watch. It was $330.00 duty free. I rushed back to the room to hid it until his birthday. Just as I hid the gift I hear a rustle at the door. Langston came in excited to show me the $10.00 watch he'd bought himself. It was too big and he wanted to have it sized when we got home. Ummm son it's going to cost more that $10.00 to get is sized which means it's not worth it. Nevertheless he was so proud the the watch he's purchased. He never buys nor asks for anything. He also had a bag that he wanted to hid form me so I stepped in to the hall while he hid his secret bag.

On the morning of April 18th we woke up and got ready for the day. We were in Grand Cayman and wanted to spend time with Langston. The plan was to leave Ellington on the ship while he explored the Grand Cayman.

I gave Langston is birthday present and he was all smiles. All of his friends have smart watches, and he knows I am not a big spender on frivolous things all for the sake of keeping up with the Jones's. So he was extra surprised and extremely thankful.

IMG_0262-S.jpg

IMG_0263-S.jpg

It was finally time to get breakfast and get off the ship.

We went to the lido buffet for the first time day 4 of the cruise. I am not a buffet person. I like my food piping hot and by the time I wait in line at the buffet to select items my food is then lukewarm by the time I sit down. Such was the case today as people waiting for bacon would not move out of the way so that others could get food adjacent to where the back on was. I ended up with french toast, ham, sausage,bacon, and eggs.

IMG_0752-S.jpg

We are on the Vista next Saturday- eight days from now. Questions: 1. How is the Skyride (bikes)? 2. What movies are playing? 3. With your FTTF, does that give you priority for anytime dining? 4. I've heard you can go to the Havana pool area after 7pm. How is it there?

A week prior to the cruise we received an email saying the Skyride would be closed. We were a bit disappointed but we had a great time anyhow. I am not sure of the movies that are playing we sailed in April and the same movies that were at the box office at home were showing. My son went to the Imax and saw Ready Player One, and Rampage. The movies under the stars were Jumanj with Kevin Hart, Thor, and Justice League. FTTF does not give your priority for anytime dining. For anything dining you check in on deck 5 when your entire party is ready to eat and you then go down to deck 3 to the dining room and are seated right away. We never waited to be seated.

Once Ellington was checked into the kids club it was time to check out the Cayman's and perhaps open a bank account. That's right I was going to have $20.00 in a off shore account just to feel like I'd arrived in life jk.

The good thing about being on deck one was that we coould just walk down a deck and we were on the gangway.

Notice the sign reminding you of the time you need to be back on the ship and the current time.

IMG_0762-S.jpg

Be boarded the tinder boat and off we went. Again it never felt crowded.

IMG_0764-S.jpg

Lots of empty seats

IMG_0775-S.jpg

IMG_0763-S.jpg

Like others, I love this review! I was excited to see it as I will sail one week later than you on the Vista this coming April. Your children are precious and your daughter’s name is as beautiful as she is!

I loved hearing about your guide in Jamaica. We are docking at Mo Bay on our cruise but if we ever go to Ocho Rios, we will look them up. Looking forward to the rest!

The Cayman port was very chaotic. There were several excursion stands. I hadn't booked anything because the plan to the wing it. I'd read about a town called hell and was on a mission to get there. Once outside of the port area I ask a local where I could catch a taxi. She told be the taxi would be very expensive and it was better to take the local bus instead. Sounds like a a plan to me. She point down a street and said to walk down until I saw the library and the bus stop would be next to it.

Allow me to pause and say that Langston is not a risk taker. He is a play it safe kinda guy. The entire way to the bus stop he listed all the ways that this could go wrong. "Relax Max" we'll be fine. The bus stop is two short blocks from the port. We boarded the bus the cost was only $2.50per person and off we went.

The bus was actually a van of sorts. It was hot, there was no AC we picked up local people along the way. Which was odd because there were no actual bus stops, just people standing by the side of the road. People piled in we were packed in like sardines and I loved it.

IMG_0793%5B1%5D-S.jpg

IMG_0787%5B1%5D-S.jpg

Excursions that were being sold in the port area

IMG_0788%5B1%5D-S.jpg

IMG_0799%5B1%5D-S.jpg

IMG_0808%5B1%5D-S.jpg

IMG_0803%5B1%5D-S.jpg

Hell is a little town of about one short block long. There is a cheesy gift shop and a post office. Once inside the gift shop the devil runs out and kisses you. So, I can now say I have been to hell and back and even kissed by the devil himself.

IMG_0804-S.jpg

IMG_0807-S.jpg

I purchased a few postcards and stamps and mailed my super religious grandmother and aunt post cards from Hell. Form now on, if some one tells me to go to Hell, my response is " Baby, I've already been".

As my son and I were leaving a tour bus pulled up and people spilled out. The driver of the tour bus came up to me and asked where I was from. I told him I was from Los Angeles he then asked what part. I said, " Los Angeles...Los Angeles". He said well what street, I gave him a general area. He said, "Omg, I used to live right around the corner." He told me the high school he attended here in Los Angeles and named everything in my neighborhood.

We chatted a bit and then he asked me to take a picture of him and take it to this popular vegan restaurant, show the picture to the owner and tell the owner I saw "Purcell" in the Grand Cayman.

Jokingly, I asked him what crime he committed in Los Angeles, that now has him hiding out in the Grand Cayman?". We walked right outside the gift shop and the bus was coming down the street. We caught the bus back to the port, boarded the tender and headed back to the ship.

IMG_0805-S.jpg

Tonight was both Langston's birthday dinner and our last Elegant Nite. We had reservation at the steakhouse. We showered and dressed early so that we could take pictures. I've read complaints about people not dressing up and ruining Elegant Nite. I can honestly say I saw more people dressed up than not. The people that did not dress up looked uncomfortable walking around the atrium and perhaps they were first time cruisers and did not know Elegant Nite really meant Elegant Nite. Meanwhile the kids and I were dressed to the nines.

29437904-S.jpg

After the photos we head to dinner.

IMG_0864-S.jpg

IMG_0866-S.jpg

IMG_0867-S.jpg

The Steakhouse was nice but also empty. I would compare it to Fleming's, The Palm, Morton's, and G. Barton.

Here's the birthday boy:

IMG_0865-S.jpg

IMG_0874-S.jpg

IMG_0881-S.jpg

IMG_0879-S.jpg

A waiter comes around and explains the choices of seasoning for your steak. There was Himalayan 100 year old salt, Hawaiian salt, Sea Salt, and a few others. Listen just give me a little Lawry's and i'm good lol. I forgot what we selected.

Langston and I both had the surf and turf. Ellington had the mac-n-cheese. I had a glass of Lambrusco my absolute favorite wine.