Viva La Vista Detailed Review April 15-21-2018 Photos, Funtimes,Menus, and More

Skipping ahead a bit we attended the Cat in the Hat breakfast on the morning of the last sea day. I ordered custom shirts, yet they did not arrive in time. So, I found some matching shirts instead. The cost of the Cat in the Hat breakfast was $5.00 person. I booked it on the first day, since I heard it sells out quickly.

IMG_1099-S.jpg

IMG_1103-S.jpg

IMG_1100-S.jpg

IMG_1101-S.jpg

What a wonderful review and gorgeous family! I was happy to read about Langston's future plans. We are proud VA Hokies! My two kids and their spouses are VA Tech products...three veterinarians and an engineer. Wishing him the best in his quest to be an aeronatical engineer, and GO HOKIES!

We ate lunch at one of the most grungiest of places. It was the best experience ever.....

So BE KIND.

This has been my experience so many times. I've had so many wonderful experiences eating with local folks. You don't really visit another culture until you meet people and eat their food with them. I love your attitude.

And kindness is what binds us and allows us to appreciate our differences.

Love your review. You are a traveler, not a tourist.

• Like 1

Like others, I love this review! I was excited to see it as I will sail one week later than you on the Vista this coming April. Your children are precious and your daughter’s name is as beautiful as she is!

I loved hearing about your guide in Jamaica. We are docking at Mo Bay on our cruise but if we ever go to Ocho Rios, we will look them up. Looking forward to the rest!

Thank you.!!

What a wonderful review!!! It seems your family is just precious! This is the first I am hearing about picking the seasoning for your steak at the steakhouse. I can’t wait for that! I am also happy to see your food review of the BBQ. I am a true southern girl myself with a husband and brother-in-law that cook award winning competition BBQ. For that reason, I don’t eat BBQ our very much. It never lives up. However, I have heard how good the BBQ is on the ship (until this review). Now, I think I will skip that and head to JiJi’s on embarkation day lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mid week I booked a massage. The only time available was after 9:00pm. The kids stayed in the cabin watching cartoons which I headed out to the spa. I forgot to take the phone with me to get pictures. The spa was very clean and well maintained. I check in at the reception desk and was led to a waiting area. The waiting area was enclosed in glass, which allowed you to see every thing. I expected to be given a robe and shown the shower area first. This was not the case. I'd showered before leaving the room, but what if I hadn't? This a personal pet peeve of mine. I believe that that a cool shower relaxes you in preparation for your massage and washes the day off you as well. Anyhow I was called back by my masseuse. This woman talked my EARS OFF. I wanted to lay there in solitude and that just did not happen. She told me about her family back home and how much she works to support them. At the end of the massage she tried me sell me packets of seaweed to bathe in that would make cellulite disappear for $239.00. No, thank you. She told me that my thighs were swollen and the seaweed would help them go down.

Listen my thighs are not swollen they are fat and I accept that. I suffer from a condition call "Good Living." I ended up buying a bottle of muscle cream for $55.00 just to get her to stop talking. The massage was $129.00, I tipped her $40.00(to help her family back home), and the cream was $55.00. This is not something that I would do again.

• Like 1

Backing up a bit while the last of my photos load

On our first sea day there was a "Build A Bear Workshop at Sea Party". I wanted to attend as a surprise for Ellington. The workshop started at 4:30pm so I decided to head down at 4:00 just in case there was a line. When we arrived the line wrapped around the entrance to the kids club all the way around the entire hallway and out the door. The event did not start until after 5:00pm. A staff member from the Kids Club wrote everyone's name/cabin number on a clipboard and gave each child a red fabric heart. The line eventually started moving and we were corralled into an open space inside the kids club. The cruise director came in and played music and there was a dance off between the boys and girls. Small prizes were given out to the winners. While the dance party was in full swing cabin numbers were called 3 at a time to another area where the kids would select the type of animal that they wanted to build, it was then stuffed and sewn by a staff member. Lastly the kids were able to pick out outfits for their bear/animal. The display for the outfits was positioned near the dance off area. So, as the kids waited for their turn they were eyeing the outfits and the other kids selecting the outfits. There were no prices displayed for the bear nor the outfits. Finally it was our turn. Ellington selected a pink bear. I tried to whisk her past the outfits but she insisted that her bear have clothes. I picked up a bathing suit for the bear. However my child in true form did not want a bathing suit. She wanted a skirt, top, and shoes. Since it was Langston's birthday cruise, I didn't want her to feel left out. I agreed to the clothing she selected. Once we got back to the room I checked my account and found that I'd just spent $46.00 on a bear that would be naked within the hour and lost once we arrived home. This is something that I most likely will not do again. The cruise director could only hold the kid's attention for so long, the kids grew restless and the adults grew impatient.

IMG_0294-S.jpg

It was so much fun counting down for the cruise along with 230 others. We posted our cruise nails, a few ladies asked if anyone could apply their makeup. There was a search for someone to apply eyelashes. So many people offered their services. We all shared tips and gave advice.

There was a lady that was supposed to cruise with her boyfriend. She was very active on the countdown, until a few weeks prior to the sail date when her boyfriend removed her from the booking an added another lady in her place. Someone from the group set up a pay pal and we all gave what we could to help her make the trip without him. A solo traveler even offered to share her room. We'd really become like family.

The gentleman in the picture with the grey shirt is an entertainer, he and his crew made a song for the group called "ohhh la la yeah... we're headed to Jamaaaaaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel too." He even added names of individuals in the group. It was so cool of him. He even bought along a CD and the song was played at the White Hot Party!! Watch out for him he's going to blow up one day.

IMG_0298-S.jpg

Edited by Californiacruizers
spelling

Finally Cozumel !!!

I am so excited to share this part of the review. Spoiler alert this was truly Paradise. Based on my research the plan for Cozumel was to take a taxi to Paradise Beach. Mostly everyone from my count down group were going to Mr. Sancho's the raved about it and tried to convince others including me that it was worth the$59.00 per person since all food and drink were included. To which I replied, " No thanks Mr. Banks". The port area in Cozumel is really pretty. I was very impressed. There were stores like Diamonds International. By the way Diamonds International is at every port. We navigated our selves out of the port area and found the taxi stand. There were signs that listed excursions and prices. The taxi area was very organized. I told the dispatcher where I wanted to go. He said the price would be $15.00 each way. We were loaded into a small SUV with a female driver and off we went.

When walking from the ship you must past through this area, it is a store that sells everything; diamonds, cigarettes, perfume,candy, and lots of liquor. Once you make it out you have to go through a check point. Security checks your bags for fruit and drugs. There are also dogs to sniff out the contraband.

IMG_0913-S.jpg

The port shopping area

IMG_0933-S.jpg

The taxi area

IMG_0939-S.jpg

IMG_0941-S.jpg

The road to Paradise Beach. Note most resorts and beach clubs are on this road, they are all literally right next to each other.

IMG_0943-S.jpg

The drivers get paid a commission if they take you to certain beach clubs. They will tell you that the club they recommend is better than any other club. I simply said no thank you and she left it alone. I made small talk with her is Spanish along the way. She was really impressed by my Spanish and insisted that I was from the Dominican Republic. The entire ride Langston was texting me saying the driver was going to kidnap us, the road was most likely not the rode to Paradise Beach, and if we needed to jump out of the taxi we needed to be mindful to tuck and roll. After 15 mins or so we pull into Paradise Beach. Langston let out a deep sigh or relief. Geeez son trust me. We've been safe thus far right?

IMG_1092-S.jpg

The entrance price was only $3.00 per person and all they ask is that you please spend at least $10.00 in food and drink.

There are showers, changing areas, and lockers

IMG_0957-S.jpg

IMG_0948-S.jpg

IMG_0951-S.jpg

There is a HUGE panorama pool with a swim up bar.

IMG_1077-S.jpg

Lots of shade and loungers on the beach. There is no extra fee for loungers or umbrellas.

IMG_0967-S.jpg

There are beach toys for an additional fee of $21.00 since the toys require you to be a strong swimmer to even reach them I only purchased access for Langston.

IMG_0976-S.jpg

I have to admit I was very disappointed with the food. COME ON it's Mexico what happened to authentic Mexican food? Where is the carne asada? Where is the Menudo? Not even a glass of agua de jamica? Instead what was served was a Tex Mex nacho and quesadillas and burritos. Not a deal breaker it's just my inner fatness was expecting more.

IMG_1058-S.jpg

IMG_1059-S.jpg

IMG_1062-S.jpg

We ordered the nachos

IMG_1064-S.jpg

And quesadillas

IMG_1065-S.jpg

IMG_0963-S.jpg

Edited by Californiacruizers
spelling

Well that basically sums up our wonderful trip. Here are a few tips, notes and observations.

Guys Burgers

Everyone Raves about Guy's burgers. The location is strategically placed in an area where you can smell the burgers anywhere on the lido deck. The line for guys was always long. As I was sitting and people watching I noticed and people were being handed a plate with their burgers and fries from one of the chefs. They then turned to the topping bar, used the tongs to load up their burgers and then proceeded to pick up and bite into their burgers with the same hands that touch several of the thongs from the toppings bar. There was no hand sanitizer nor hand washing station near the toppings bar. I watch this almost daily as my daughter swam in the pool near Guys. My son found that you could actually order your burger with the toppings already on it. Armed with this tidbit I got in line for Guy's one day and saw one of the chefs open a box of frozen beef patties and tossed them on the grill FROZEN. I was always taught to thaw out meat properly because cooking frozen meat leads to a mix of hot and cold areas that bacteria likes to grow in.( or something like that). Eventually I had a bite of one of the many burgers Langston ordered and it was okay. I would categorize it along the lines of perhaps Five Guys, The Habit, and maybe even Wendy's. It does not come near an In N Out burger nor a "Mc Mama's"( a burger your Mama makes at home). I think the hype is psychological, unlimited burgers that someone else cooks. I think the smell is the biggest draw.

IMG_0748-S.jpg

IMG_0749-S.jpg

IMG_0751-S.jpg

Laundry

I always pack my own pool towels, since all the other towels look alike and I do not want to risk being charged for loosing one. I washed our towels and swim suits as needed. The nearest laundry room was on deck 2 aft near the entrance of the Family Harbor area. You can buy powdered soap for $1.50 using your sign and sail card and the washers and dryers cost $3.00 each. They do not sell fabric softener only dryer sheets. I used the laundry room to iron my son's dress shirts each evening. On both elegant nites it was a long wait as husbands were sent to iron their shirts and slacks. Laundry is popular so it was hard to get an open washer at times.

One day I decided to seek out a laundry room on a higher floor. The kids and I walked in all the washers were occupied and we proceeded to walk out. This older lady with the creepiest of voices said, " I know you..." I turned and around, smiled and said, "Really?" She said yes from the FB group. I said, " Oh Hey" and gave her a big hug. I never met a stranger the entire cruise. Everywhere we went someone "knew" me from the group.

IMG_0284-S.jpg

IMG_0285-S.jpg