Don't leave home without...

Downey Wrinkler Remover and a handful of plastic hangers that I leave behind. Insulated coffee mug to be used for Hot Cocoa, tea and coffee or for soda in the afternoons. A HAT is a must.

Add to that Patience, luck and a sense of humor for those who forgot to pack them.

We have a cheap AC alarm clock with a LARGE display. It cost about $10 and acts as a nightlight as well as a time piece in the dark cabin. You do need a power strip or extension cord as most ships have a single 110V outlet in the cabin plus one in the bathroom.

1. Clothes pins to weigh down the shower curtain.

2. Solid room air freshner (tropical scent)

3. Personalized first-aid kit (band-aids, painkiller, dramamine, andacid, neosporin & baby wipes packet)

4. Bug spray for tropical regions

Plus all the items previously mentioned.

Oops that was more than two items:eek:

1. Clothes pins to weigh down the shower curtain.

2. Solid room air freshner (tropical scent)

3. Personalized first-aid kit (band-aids, painkiller, dramamine, andacid, neosporin & baby wipes packet)

4. Bug spray for tropical regions

Plus all the items previously mentioned.

Oops that was more than two items:eek:

Delete the clothes pins - no shower curtain on the Jewel, Dawn, Star, Spirit - a very nice sliding door:)

The two items not required I wouldn't go on a cruise without

:D A traveling companion :D

Traveling by yourself is not fun.

:eek: A camera :eek:

A photo is the best way to share your fun with others.

Whoever stated first that a picture is worth a thousand words was a genius. :)

Seriously, if your traveling south, you'll need bug spray. Everyone remembers to carry sunscreen, most forget the bug spray.

If you're traveling north, you'll need a light jacket at least. You'll probably will not need suncreen, but everyone usually packs it anyways.

If your traveling either north or south, you'll need some sort of raincoat. I didn't pack any sort of coat on my last cruise, and I really missed having a raincoat.

If you've booked an oceanview cabin, especially a balcony, and will spend some time watching the views go by, pack some binoculars. You will not need binoculars if you booked an inside cabin unless you plan to watch the views go by from an open deck or observation lounge.

Your drivers license.

Seems obvious, but I can see how some one who is flying, and then boarding a ship may leave home without it.

I just remembered a poor soul who was trying to rent a car in Skagway

when we were there.

He didn't have his drivers license or proof of insurance, which he was

claiming covered him even in a rental car. (Ours does too, and fortunately,

we had been informed of this by our insurance agent).

We left before he did, so I have no idea how this eventually turned out.

Something that I have taken on every AK cruise, and will take again, is hand warmers. You can buy them at most sporting goods stores. On the day you are at Sawyer Glacier, or at Glacier Bay, you will LOVE having your hands nice and warm.

These are little packets about 2X4 inches, that once you open them they become warm. (Takes about 5 minutes for them to get real warm.) They last for up to 8 hours. I always take enough to share with my family, and then some extras for those who are standing nearby and their teeth are chattering together.

You won't believe the difference it can make if even just one of your hands is warm.:D

I loved the idea of the little pop-up hamper - so I went to Wal-mart yesterday and got 2 of them for $3.88 each! I can't stand clutter, and that will be so helpful with 2 kids (not to mention husbands) clothes hitting the floor. Will also be great on my laundry day. (I was wondering how I'd get the laundry to the laundry room - now I'm set)

Next will be the little hanging shelf thingy. Also a great idea.

Anni

Rather than laundry hampers I am taking "handle-tie" kitchen garbage bags to use for dirty clothes AND for wet stuff..and anything else I need them for. They are VERY handy. Plus you can throw them away when you are through.

I always make a point of taking the laundry bags provided by hotels - great for putting your dirty clothes in. These are invariably just plastic bags but they suffice. DH stayed in a hotel where cotton-type material laundry bags were provided - even better.

The very best thing I brought on this trip was the over the door shoe organizer!! Hubby about freaked when I placed this over the door. " How many shoes did you bring??? he asked) hehehe.

It was amazing, I put everything in this and it kept the cabin MUCh more organized. Also the extention cord. A MUST. We had a little travel clock which was nice. We just kept our bathroom door open a smidge and that worked as a night light.

Other Good things:

Room freshener spray was also a good thing.

Comfy shoes, boy did I learn my lesson.

Our own bar of soap, I'm kinda picky and our own shampoo and cond.

Hair dryer: the hair driers are awful.

Wish I had brought a small foldable hamper of some kind. I had to keep dragging my suitcase out from under the bed to put the dirty clothes.

Oh and bring an appetite !! You will eat more than usual.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted a reply to this thread.

My packing list has gotten considerably longer, but I don't mind because all of these practical suggestion were things I never would've thought of!

Thanks again! Oh, and feel free to keep 'em coming if you got more for us first-timers out there...

-Genevieve

Newbie Cruiser

event.png

One other thing we've enjoyed, that I don't even remember where I found, was a small night-light with an air freshener built in. It was one of the "indiglo" type night lights, and had a little spot at the back where a fragrance strip was inserted, and the heat from the light helped to generate the fragrance. Sort of killed 2 birds with one stone, and particularly helpful if you're in an inside cabin. We just left it plugged into the power strip all the time, and there was always just enough light to stumble my way to the restroom in the middle of the night.

• If you have access to any of the little physician samples of things like acetaminophen, ibuprofen, dimenhydrinate (dramamine,gravol), imodium, ... they're great!. I always get indigestion and make sure I have some over the counter ranitidine (Zantac) and Tums

I recommend taking bottle/can cooler holders, the foam ones. They take up no packing room & keep the drinks icy cold in the sweltering heat. The can holders hold drinks that come in the regular glasses just fine, so they're not just for cans anymore:D If you forget them they sell the can holder in the onboard shop ($2.25) but not the bottle type.

The second thing I'll always bring is my iPod w/ external speakers (for the room). Also don't forget the accessory that allows you to plug 2 headphones into the pod so 2 people can listen to tunes while lounging on deck.

Have to add a third:p Extension cord (6 or 9 ft will do) if you plan on brinnig a portable DVD player, this way you don't have to worry about the player's cord reaching an outlet across the wall, like on the Spirit. #3a: fun movies!

Archived