Need help getting refund for cancelled plane reservations

elruth

I fly southwest and there are never any change fees. Just change the date and/or destination and presto a new trip is born.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely an option for certain markets. No $ back but full credit.

I feel bad for the op because she obviously tried to plan ahead. She insured her trip with cruise insurance through the cruise line, insured her flight.

Most consumers don’t even know that cruise lines cancel sailings if the corporation can make more $ selling your stateroom for a charter or different itinerary. We think about natural disasters, sickness, political unrest, ship breaking down at sea, missed flights...The average consumer has no idea cruise lines can and do cancel cruises simply to make more money and they are only obligated to give the customers a refund for the cruise.

We’re even more shocked to learn that there’s no insurance policy, at least in the United States, that will refund our airfare when this happens.

Have you tried calling the airline directly??? Even if the tickets are non-refundable, you may be able to get them to issue you a travel voucher. I had purchased 4 tickets from Chicago to LA and something came up and we couldn't go. They were able to issue travel vouchers instead. Without paying the change fee. You won't know unless you ask. Explain that the cruise was cancelled through no fault of yours, and throw your age in there too!! Work that age, you deserve some perks!!:)Be as nice as possible, and sound distressed. Tell them you'd be forever grateful.

If that fails, did you book those tickets using a credit card? If so, call your credit card company and appeal to them the same way. Good luck!

Agree. The airlines do make exceptions depending on the circumstances. I would think this is a situation worthy of an airline exception.

Last year I booked my daughter and her boyfriend a trip to Disney Aulani. I booked them a Room with my expiring Dvc points and airfare to Hawaii was non refundable on Alaska Airlines. Boyfriend in air force had deployment extended after we bombed Syria. Disney totally took care of them and squared them away in a beautiful room and Alaska Airlines also went above and beyond, no change fees, got them to Hawaii after he returned at the same low ticket prices I originally had (tickets last minute were way out of my budget) Pays to do business with top notch companies and be nice with a valid excuse.

Definitely an option for certain markets. No $ back but full credit.

I feel bad for the op because she obviously tried to plan ahead. She insured her trip with cruise insurance through the cruise line, insured her flight.

Most consumers don’t even know that cruise lines cancel sailings if the corporation can make more $ selling your stateroom for a charter or different itinerary. We think about natural disasters, sickness, political unrest, ship breaking down at sea, missed flights...The average consumer has no idea cruise lines can and do cancel cruises simply to make more money and they are only obligated to give the customers a refund for the cruise.

We’re even more shocked to learn that there’s no insurance policy, at least in the United States, that will refund our airfare when this happens.

But that’s the thing. Why would they refund your airfare when you can still use it? It still has monetary value. Just re-book your cruise or plan a different vacation. I’m assuming that just because a cruise was cancelled doesn’t mean that you still don’t want to go on vacation.

But that’s the thing. Why would they refund your airfare when you can still use it? It still has monetary value. Just re-book your cruise or plan a different vacation. I’m assuming that just because a cruise was cancelled doesn’t mean that you still don’t want to go on vacation.

From the sounds of what others have posted, passengers got a screaming deal with lots of perks on the original sailing. It made the vacation affordable.

Ncl decided to change the itinerary and create a new more expensive vacation. It’s either pay Ncl more money than originally agreed or use the airfare for something else. The alternative vacations are not affordable for many.

I can certainly see how an elderly person on a fixed budget would be unable to cough up the extra Ncl is requiring. She’s forced to pay the change fees and the new airfare pricing and likely can’t find anything else that was the screaming deal she bought from Ncl.

Sure she’s got a ticket worth something but if she has to pay $600 + for the original vacation, or the change fees for some other type of vacation that is also more $ than she can afford, the tickets will likely never be used.

Hopefully she can salvage something.

Agree. The airlines do make exceptions depending on the circumstances. I would think this is a situation worthy of an airline exception.

Last year I booked my daughter and her boyfriend a trip to Disney Aulani. I booked them a Room with my expiring Dvc points and airfare to Hawaii was non refundable on Alaska Airlines. Boyfriend in air force had deployment extended after we bombed Syria. Disney totally took care of them and squared them away in a beautiful room and Alaska Airlines also went above and beyond, no change fees, got them to Hawaii after he returned at the same low ticket prices I originally had (tickets last minute were way out of my budget) Pays to do business with top notch companies and be nice with a valid excuse.

There is your reason, active military that deployment extended, why I agree that was a nice gesture regarding our military but highly doubt that would of happened to an ordinary person