glacier walk

Prettay128

Hello everybody we are sailing on a September Alaska cruise. One of the shore excursions is a helicopter ride/Glacier walk. I am looking for a coat recommendation for the Glacier walk. Thanks in advance:D.

We did a heli/glacier hike (wife also ice climbed) on Spencer glacier in Girdwood last month. Temperature before we left was in the mid-50's that day and it was only slightly cooler on the glacier itself. We wore thin North Face (not that the brand should matter a ton) waterproof jackets over fleeces and were perfectly comfortable. Honestly, it wasn't cold at all, unless you find 50 cold.

You only asked about jackets, but fwiw, we also brought basic winter hats (mine was $4 from amazon, nothing hard core, I live in Florida, it's gonna now sit in a closet for a long time, lol) and cheapo thin gloves. Lastly, this was when we wore our Frogg Togg rain pants ($20 at Walmart) and they did come in handy b/c there were times were our legs were in contact with the ice (had to kneel on the ice during the helicopter taking off after drop off and again when it was coming in to pick us up). We also brushed up against ice cave walls and went under a small waterfall to enter the cave. My wife also had plenty of contact during her ice climb (I opted to just watch and take pics).

If the temp is significantly differently when you go, you may want to go with something else, I can only share my experience. Hope this helps.

Thank you for taking the time to respond Mike. I really am trying to avoid taking a cumbersome jacket, but I'm worried about being too cold as well.:confused:

This is unfortunately one of those “only you can decide” issues. You know how cold you get, forum-land doesn’t. 🙂

I know native Floridians here that put on jackets if it drops below 70 while I’ll likely run to the store in shorts & a t-shirt in almost any temperature.

GL with the decision but don’t stress.