Status Match Using Marriott via Starwood/Sheraton -- Better Before 1 August 2018

Best Cat Mom

Marriott bought Starwood a few years ago and the loyalty programs are (finally) combining on 1 August 2018. If you have Starwood Gold status now and you're interested in an MSC Status Match, you'll get a better match before August 1.

Starwood Gold today gives you Marriott Gold. Marriott Gold has been known to match MSC Gold. After August 1, Starwood Gold will only give Marriott Silver as a match. Marriott Silver has been known to match to MSC Silver. Match before August 1 and get MSC Gold instead of MSC Silver,

Posting in case some have not heard of the Marriott/SPG changes effective 1 August 2018...

Source?

I'm still seeing one to one:

• SPG Preferred = Marriott Rewards Member (no elite status in either scheme)
  • SPG Preferred Plus = Marriott Rewards Silver Elite (and vice versa)
  • SPG Gold = Marriott Rewards Gold Elite (and vice versa)
  • SPG Platinum = Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite (and vice versa)
  • SPG Platinum Ambassador = Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite (not vice versa)
  • Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite = SPG Platinum (not vice versa)

I do know that the status will devalue regardless after August. i.e. the benefits Platinum members will get will be equivalent to what gold is getting now and the new gold is something in between the current silver and gold status.

Whether or not MSC will adjust the way they do status match, time will tell.

Marriott is the source. I'm Lifetime Platinum with Marriott and am an Amex Platinum account holder. Marriott informed me of the program changes coming after August 1st when the Marriott Rewards program merges with SPG. After August 1st, SPG Gold will only "translate" to Marriott Silver. My husband is an additional cardholder on my Amex Platinum account today and that grants him SPG Gold status. I requested and received a SPG/Starwood Gold account for my husband based on his Amex Platinum card as that is one of the benefits of Amex Platinum. Then I requested Marriott to grant him reciprocal status in Marriott Rewards. Marriott Rewards granted him Gold status. Then I requested MSC to Status Match him to Marriott Rewards Gold. MSC give him Gold status. If I had only asked MSC to Status Match him to SPG Gold, based on the boards here, he would have only received MSC Silver. After August 1st, Marriott Rewards will translate SPG Gold to Marriott Silver when the programs merge.

I'm trying to help others achieve Gold instead of Silver on MSC if they meet the same criteria.

Hi Gate Guardian,

I saw that you are also Marriott Platinum and Hilton Diamond. I am Hilton Diamond too -- but not lifetime, at least not yet. :) Did you think that the SPG Gold might match differently to Marriott? I know that they were not as precise in their descriptions as I would have liked. After all, isn't this automated and not a human's opinion of how it should match?