Le Bistro

skm

Do you know what Les Escargots are? They are no more than snails, or common backyard "slugs" that crawl along patios and walkways. We usually put out a saucer of beer to attract them, in which they subsequently drown. As kids, we would pour alst on them to kill them. Yeech!

Hello. My family and I are going on the Spirit in Feb. On previous cruises we have not eaten in the specialty restaurants, and have a question. I know there is a surcharge, but what do you do about tipping? Do you tip besides the surcharge? Does this staff share the general automatic tips charged to your cruise card? I don't want to slight anyone.

Thanks for your help.

Arlene

Do you know what Les Escargots are? They are no more than snails, or common backyard "slugs" that crawl along patios and walkways. We usually put out a saucer of beer to attract them, in which they subsequently drown. As kids, we would pour alst on them to kill them. Yeech!

I'm not a big fan of escargots, either. However, let's be honest here - unless you're a vegetarian, much of what we eat is not exactly pretty and if we paused to consider the source, we might pause longer. It's all a matter of perspective.

In some cases, it's a matter of using euphemistic names, as in the case of escargots. Others that come to mind are sweetbread (innerds from calves and lambs), chitlins (pig intestines), haggis (more innerds, this time from a sheep), foie de gras (goose or duck liver) - you get the point.

Then, there's any number of insects that are eaten by different cultures, ranging from spiders to ants to grasshoppers. In fact, they're often considered delicacies and treats. Plus, I hear they're nutritious.

Bottom line for me (and most people that I know), I eat what tastes good. Not exactly a profound philosophy but it works for me.

So, as far as escargots are concerned, give them a try. You may love them. Figure out what they are later...if you even care at that point.

I'm not a big fan of escargots, either. However, let's be honest here - unless you're a vegetarian, much of what we eat is not exactly pretty and if we paused to consider the source, we might pause longer. It's all a matter of perspective.

In some cases, it's a matter of using euphemistic names, as in the case of escargots. Others that come to mind are sweetbread (innerds from calves and lambs), chitlins (pig intestines), haggis (more innerds, this time from a sheep), foie de gras (goose or duck liver) - you get the point.

Then, there's any number of insects that are eaten by different cultures, ranging from spiders to ants to grasshoppers. In fact, they're often considered delicacies and treats. Plus, I hear they're nutritious.

Bottom line for me (and most people that I know), I eat what tastes good. Not exactly a profound philosophy but it works for me.

So, as far as escargots are concerned, give them a try. You may love them. Figure out what they are later...if you even care at that point.

Nicely said! And exactly how I feel also. I don't travel nearly as much as I'd like to (somewhat meager means!) but when I was lucky enough to get to visit Paris, I told myself I *had* to try escargots....I mean, come on! A Nebraska girl in Paris! You gotta try things out! Anyway, I really liked them and simply chose not to consider their source.

Fast forward approx. 10 years and my 13 year old daughter (yikes...a teenager :eek: ) is with us on a Carnival cruise. Well, I convinced her to try all kinds of things she doesn't normally eat much, if at all, at home, including prawns, lobster, rack of lamb, and yes....escargots. She LOVED them. And I didn't go into elaborate details about what they were, I just simply said what they were and moved on in the conversation without dwelling on it! Worked out just fine, so I say, if you can overcome your psyche, give 'em a try.

Now, on the other hand, I will NEVER try grasshoppers or spiders :eek: :D so I guess I may just be a hypocrite. LOL.

P.S. This approach didn't work so well with my younger 2 kids....all they wanted was mac 'n cheese and chicken strips. But then, that's all they ever want! :p

I've never had escargot...so, what does it look like (You can't see any little eyes or those little antenna thingies can you?). I hope I can get by the texture (described as a firm mushroom). Guess I just have to try and go from there. I do have a gross mushroom story, but I'll leave it alone :D Also,I was wondering...I know about the dress code @ dinner in the main dining rooms, how about breakfast & lunch? Thanks, SKM

An escargot is kinda like a cross between (texturewise) a chicken gizzard (stomach) and calamari. It sounds gross, but it's wonderful if you like the texture.

The flavor of the escargot is very mild and will really only taste like whatever you cook it in, so the comparison between an escargot and a mushroom is quite accurate! Revel in the large amount of garlicky butter and bread. I usually eat the escargot and leave the butter for my DH, who cannot abide the texture. If you don't like calamari (squid), rocky mtn. oysters, or chicken gizzards, or don't appreciate a little chewiness, you may want to steer clear! :)

As to the reference to "little black blobs": I've NEVER had an escargot that was a black blob!!! You sure it wasn't a truffle? lol Beige is a better descriptor IMO.

Anyway...if you don't like em, then there's MORE FOR ME!! :)

If you don't like calamari (squid), rocky mtn. oysters, or chicken gizzards, or don't appreciate a little chewiness, you may want to steer clear! :)

Rocky mountain oysters - now there's a great euphemism!

Hello. My family and I are going on the Spirit in Feb. On previous cruises we have not eaten in the specialty restaurants, and have a question. I know there is a surcharge, but what do you do about tipping? Do you tip besides the surcharge? Does this staff share the general automatic tips charged to your cruise card? I don't want to slight anyone.

Thanks for your help.

Arlene

My understanding is that they share in the general pool. I know their staff can be seen around ship in other venues for breakfast and dinner, and some of the waitstaff in the Specialties do not work there every evening, as they can be moved around depending upon where they are needed. I would guess it would be an administrative nightmare to treat them differently.

As for our tipping practice at the Specialties, we have found the waitstaff in them to be the best onboard, so are usally inclined to tip them a little extra, or in some cases when they go way over and above, a very nice tip. In general, we find NCL staff to be outstanding all over the ship, in all kinds of positions, but the waitstaff personnel from the Specialties also seem to be just as accommodating to us when we meet them in other dining facilities during the day.

Enjoy the Spirit, and as a "noted" NCL Hotel Director once explained, if they provide you with a service that is above what is normally expected, then it would be appropriate to show your appreciation and provide them with a reward. If they are just doing their normal job, and even though their service is very good, you do not need to feel obligated to provide an additional tip.

Does anyone here know if there is an extra charge for the fire star menu in Le Bistro?

I recall where other items may have been $20, and $15, the Fire Star was $18. A good choice, more food than many can handle. I recall on the Jewel that the menu indicated only one "combo" per couple, and we thought that was a good idea. Of course the other person can order something else, it's just that they apparently have recognized that too much goes to waste otherwise. I would also guess that if you insisted on one each, you could probably get it, just by convincing them you would be able to eat it.

Thanks for your help.

Arlene

Because the service has always been outstanding in the Specialty Restaurants, we always have left a cash tip.

We visited the Bistro on our recent trip, we loved the Bistro and the menu.

I recommend Fire Star off the menu. I dont want to say too much to spoil the experience, but it is a fab option to choose. you can choose beef, chicken or fish dishes to make up the fire star.

My husband had escargot as a starter not realising what it was, he was encouraged by me to try it. his face was a picture when he found out! He enjoyed them to his surprise.

Fondu is a must. We loved the fruit assortment in a half shell of pineaple, dipping them into the chocolate. fab.

I enjoyed my "first" escargot on the Dawn..let DH try one.

He then ordered it on our second Dawn cruise. Now, we are both hooked...though hard to find in restaurants that are as good as Le Bistro.

IMO...We both found the "Fire Star" way too dry for our taste.

We both love Le Bistro...especially on the Dawn:)

Our last cruise I had everyone try the escargot, I've always been the only one to order it, but I made everyone try it, then they had to order it for themselves.

Did want to say that it's also served in the main dining room one night. Might have even been two nights they had it on our last cruise. Just keep an eye on the daily menu's to see when its being served if you couldn't get into Le Bistro.

And I do like the little mushroom description, I've never known how to describe it other than (I think shoreguy said), little black blobs.

My DH loves escargot, the best he has ever had has been in the Dawn's Le Bistro. We went to the Le Bistro twice for them. The escargot in the main dining room are not the same, they are chewier and saltier. We've been home for 2 weeks and he is still looking for Le Bistro. Poor dear has a long wait until the next cruise.

Of course they are snails, but a little different from the ones that crawl around in our backyards. That would be like saying Frog Legs many of us love to eat are just plain old frogs from the creek down the road. NMNita

The charge is actually the tip for those working for you.....at least it has been in the past on Celebrity. We also give extra for good service, which has always been better than good.
Well, that depends on who you talk to: we were told on Celebrity (connie) it had nothing to do with the wait staff. I am totally confused about this thus we leave an extra $5 or $10 just to make certain. NMNita

No! You can order all the entrees you want too, within reason of what you can eat. The only exception being the entrees they charge extra for, over the surcharge for entering ther speciality restaurant. Even then you can still order multiple entrees, just be will to pay extra each time.

Why does everyone try to make it harder than it is?

You just pay to enter a restaurant, much like a cover charge to enter a bar. On entrees they charge extra for, it makes sense they would charge extra everytime you order it.

But they will continue to bring food as you order it until you had enough.

Archived