Alaska - Planning Help - Looking for suggestions/advice

Noreen411

Another just beginning our trip planning (land and cruise) for August 2019 and SO GRATEFUL for this thread! I’ve already learned a lot, and am going to save it so I can find it again.

Like the lodging sitch...who woulda thunk there were no upscale hotel options?!? I’m actually giving thought to that RV rental idea.

We prefer a smaller boat for the ability to get into tighter spots and don’t care too much about on board entertainment (though good food is crucial, posing another dilemma!). I’d considered the luxury all inclusive but I don’t want to love the ship that much or I won’t want to hit all the stops lol.

We want to do Denali and Anchorage first, then cruise southbound for a two days in Vancouver.

Anyway, thanks again to OP and all,those who’ve replied, your help is invaluable!

Sue

Another just beginning our trip planning (land and cruise) for August 2019 and SO GRATEFUL for this thread! I’ve already learned a lot, and am going to save it so I can find it again.

Like the lodging sitch...who woulda thunk there were no upscale hotel options?!? I’m actually giving thought to that RV rental idea.

We prefer a smaller boat for the ability to get into tighter spots and don’t care too much about on board entertainment (though good food is crucial, posing another dilemma!). I’d considered the luxury all inclusive but I don’t want to love the ship that much or I won’t want to hit all the stops lol.

We want to do Denali and Anchorage first, then cruise southbound for a two days in Vancouver.

Anyway, thanks again to OP and all,those who’ve replied, your help is invaluable!

Sue

You might look at Windstar for a smaller boat option. Their itinerary visits spots that the big ships don't in addition to the typical main stream ports. You get a huge cabin and wonderful food at a lot lower cost on a ~200 passenger ship than the smallest ships.

I wrote a report on the first Windstar sailing in this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2635721

The day by day report that I wrote after I got back starts at post #84. Before that are posts including some questions I answered while on the cruise.

Edited by new_cruiser

You might look at Windstar for a smaller boat option. Their itinerary visits spots that the big ships don't in addition to the typical main stream ports. You get a huge cabin and wonderful food at a lot lower cost on a ~200 passenger ship than the smallest ships.

I wrote a report on the first Windstar sailing in this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2635721

The day by day report that I wrote after I got back starts at post #84. Before that are posts including some questions I answered while on the cruise.

We actually sailed Windstar from Lisbon to Barcelona 2 years ago! I will recheck their options, thanks for commenting!