July 6-20 Holland Westerdam including pre and post cruise on our own

kscaf1

Brief report of Holland Westerdam and land on our own. Thanky ou to all who helped to shape our trip. I really feel like all of the planning time was well spent and appreciate all of the feedback and suggestions from those who made it all possible. We were a group of 4, my husband and myself, his sister and a friend of mine who did not know each other previously. They shared a room on the ship but we looked for larger accommodations (2-3 bedrooms) throughout the rest of our travels so it was a bit more difficult to plan. All of that considered, it was great. Thank you all!

Started with two nights in Vancouver. Rented bikes and rode around Stanley Park. It was a great way to spend a few hours. Took the free shuttle to Capilano Suspension Bridge. It was very crowded when we first crossed and I was not thrilled with the experience. We took our time exploring the footbridges and the cliff walk and loved them. Wecame back across the bridge when it was not near as crowded and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Sunday morning,we took the boat to Grantville Island to explore the market. The market was great but we had to wait for the surrounding stores to open so did not explore all that many.

We arrived at the port around 12:45 and found it to be well organized and we moved through with short lines. Our luggage was at our door when we arrived on the ship and we enjoyed our first lunch in the Lido café.

Cruise Day 2 – at sea – great day exploring the ship,relaxing in the sun on the Lido deck. We saw our first whales.

Day 3 – Ketchikan – Southeast Sea Kayaks – Orca’s Cove. We enjoyed it but were a little disappointed later when talking to another couple who saw a lot more wildlife than we did. I know it is the chance you take and we still would recommend them. Rainy day.

Day 4 – Juneau – Tracy Arm – booked through the ship. Great experience. Stopped at Alaska Brewing Co for crab cakes and cod taco – very good. Rainy day.

Day 5 – Skagway – Grissly Falls Ziplining. Our first ziplining experience and we absolutely loved it! Our guides Patrickand Emily kept us safe and showed us how to have a great time, including zipping upside down! We picked up our rental car and headed towards Emerald Lake. Day was rainy and overcast and we didn’t get out to walk or hike much so it was a disappointment. We finally got out at the Carcross Desert on our way back and that was fun. Total let down to come back to port around 6:30 to find all of the stores closed down. We were in port until 9 so assumed (big mistake) that they would be open later.

Day 6 – Glacier Bay – finally gorgeous weather. Really a perfect day for Glacier Bay. Lots of wildlife, glaciers and sun. Many of the decks were open to the bow where normally they were closed s this was nice for viewing. Surf n Turf dinner and Blockboard Online with Joey and Emily made it a great day and night!

Day 7 – cold and rainy. Not a great way to spend the last day but overall even though it rained every day except Glacier Bay, we did not have horrible weather.

Overall ship experience good. This was 2nd time on Holland, 10th cruise overall and first in Alaska. Looked forward to Fresh Grapefruit Cosmopolitans but there was no fresh grapefruit until a few days into cruise. Small ship does not lend much for entertainment but we enjoyed our cruise.

Day 8 – disembarkation very easy. Took shuttle to Kenai Fjords. Wonderful boat ride to glaciers and wildlife. Did the 6 hour tour and lovedit.

Rented car from Hertz and drove to Anchorage. Stopped to view Dall Sheep, scenery and thento Alyska Tram. Bought tickets that included dinner at the café and enjoyed it all. Loved our scenic ride and arrived at Air BnB in Anchorage around 8:30. Enjoyed sitting on the deck for hours marvelingover the Midnight Sun.

July 16 – rainy morning in Anchorage put a damper onbreakfast plans but walked around a bit and headed out towards Knik Glacier. I think this is where we stopped to Eklutna and found it to be a great stop. The houses and the story of the cemetery were amazing. Back on the road to Knik Glacier, we found it just as the website promises, it was awesome. We traveled in a deuce and ahalf and then a jet boat to get to the glacier and then enjoyed walking on a nearby island/camp. Wonderful!

Drove to Homestead Cabins – arrived around 8:15. Comfortable cabins - perfect!

July 17 - Matanuska Glacier Ice Trek – one of our absolute favorites. Warren was a great guide and kept us safe as we walked on the glacier. Amazing.

Drove to Healy – perfect VRBO – actually a dream come true for our last 3 nights.

July 18 – Great day for Denali. We booked the 8:30 Eielson shuttle and saw Denali in full view. Also saw moose, bear, caribou, eagles, Dall sheep and some saw wolves. I thought 8 hours in a bus might be too much and we planned to hike at some stops but it was very interesting and we just kept on going!

Dinner at 49th State Dinner. Very good. Crab leg special was expensive but our fault for not asking for the price.

July 19 – back to Denali. Hiked the Horseshoe Lake trail. Viewed a mom and baby moose playing in the lake. Took amazing pics and enjoyed watching them. Went o dog sled demo and enjoyed that too!

Went to McKinley Creekside Café for early dinner. Highly recommend!

July 20 – Our last day. Packed up and headed to Fairbanks. Went gold digging at Gold Dredge 8 and enjoyed the history and panning for gold. DH and I got $36 worth!

On to Riverboat Discovery to wrap up our trip. Nice relaxing ride. Great information and loved the dog sled stop. Perfect end to our trip.

Unfortunately flight was delayed, missed connecting flight and another day was needed….