Self Guided Tour to Tulum from Cancun - Safety

tdacat1990

Good morning all!

A friend and I (both female) are taking the Carnival Victory to Cancun in Sept. We are undecided on whether to take a Carnival sponsored tour to Tulum or if it would be safe to rent a vehicle and go on our own to save some time. We are reasonably savvy ladies, but I would rather not take an unnecessary risk. I know all about the advantages of staying with a sponsored tour regarding ship waiting, etc. Looking for any advice regarding safety IF we choose to go on our own. :cool:

• 1 month later...

I see Carnival Victory hits Cozumel in Sept, Coz is an island off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula. You would ferry to Playa Del Carmen and travel by van to Tulum. At this late date I would recommend a ship excursion if still available.

It is also an easy semi self-excursion, but using a reputable independent guide would be the best option, and you can find recommendations on the Cozumel forum.

If you are in port from noon - 10 the ship excursion would be a good choice. Not concerned about safety, and you could easily rent a car from Edgar at ISIS Rentadora in Playa. Just more planning is required on your part, and a guided tour is just easier...

Edited by blue_water

When you say Cancun, do you mean Cozumel? If so, getting to Tulum is a bit more complicated than just taking a car. There’s a 45 minute ferry that you must take from the island to Playa del Carmen in the Mexican mainland and from there you need to drive (whether by bus, taxi or rental car) to Tulum which is about an hour from there. Then needless to say, you have to everything back in reverse. It makes for a long day that will consume most of your time in port and will give little wiggle room for error.

Normally, I recommend private tours, or doing things on your own, but because of the logistics of visiting Tulum from Cozumel and the time constraints, this is one time when I would recommend staying on a ship sponsored tour.

If you’re not stoping in Cozumel but going to Calica instead, you will save yourself the ferry ride, but be warned that Calica is an industrial port with absolutely nothing as you get off the ship (all you see is a gravel pit), so coordinating a rental car from there will be challenging. Your best bet in that case will be a taxi, and they will line up waiting for cruise passengers but there aren’t that many so you may need to wait for some to return after dropping other guests off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you’re not stoping in Cozumel but going to Calica instead, you will save yourself the ferry ride, but be warned that Calica is an industrial port with absolutely nothing as you get off the ship (all you see is a gravel pit), so coordinating a rental car from there will be challenging. Your best bet in that case will be a taxi, and they will line up waiting for cruise passengers but there aren’t that many so you may need to wait for some to return after dropping other guests off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looks like we both replied to an older post about the same time!

Don’t believe Calica is a stop (for 2018 - 2020 at least), not sure why.

I would not be concerned for your safety if renting a car from Edgar in Playa whose office is near the ferry terminal. You could also visit the beach at the ruins and cool off in the ocean as it is usually quite hot there. If docking noon - 10 you would leave the rental agency by 2 and arrive at the ruins before 3, and you would want to get back to Playa before dark just to be safe. Figure 2 hours at the ruins unless you spend more time on the beach there.

But a reputable local guide for this type of excursion -whether ship-sponsored or through a reputable independent - can be invaluable.

Whatever option you choose, plan on enjoying a nice dinner on Coz before departing!