Favorite Alaskan Ports

realnice46

Lots of options to consider when choosing an Alaska cruise .... one way or RT ? RT from Seattle or Vancouver ? northbound or south? balcony ?

Since you are just starting to research for your cruise, I recommend that you visit the library and borrow a few books on Alaska. There are even books specific to Alaska cruises ! They provide info on cruiselines, ships, ports, activities, excursions, DIY, etc. ie Fodor has Alaska Ports of Call, or Ann Vipond has Alaska by Cruiseship. Learn about each port and what activities they offer to see which ports best support YOUR interests (and budget).

There's no point in my suggesting a heli dog-sled excursion in Juneau or bear viewing flights in Ketchikan if you don't have the interest or budget.

As for when to go, again, it depends on your interests. If you want to see lots of snow in the mountains and experience long days, earlier in the summer is better. The weather is usually drier earlier also. But if you want to see bears catching salmon, later in the summer is when the salmon runs occur. There are different peak periods at various locations.

As you look at itineraries pay close attention to port times. Make sure you're in port long enough and at the right time of day for planned activities. ie lots of whining on this board about the 7am - 1pm port time.

I also encourage you to read past trip reports which are posted near the top of this forum. Lots of helpful first hand experiences that may help you with your choice.

Have fun with your research and planning !!

Lots of options to consider when choosing an Alaska cruise .... one way or RT ? RT from Seattle or Vancouver ? northbound or south? balcony ?

Since you are just starting to research for your cruise, I recommend that you visit the library and borrow a few books on Alaska. There are even books specific to Alaska cruises ! They provide info on cruiselines, ships, ports, activities, excursions, DIY, etc. ie Fodor has Alaska Ports of Call, or Ann Vipond has Alaska by Cruiseship. Learn about each port and what activities they offer to see which ports best support YOUR interests (and budget).

There's no point in my suggesting a heli dog-sled excursion in Juneau or bear viewing flights in Ketchikan if you don't have the interest or budget.

As for when to go, again, it depends on your interests. If you want to see lots of snow in the mountains and experience long days, earlier in the summer is better. The weather is usually drier earlier also. But if you want to see bears catching salmon, later in the summer is when the salmon runs occur. There are different peak periods at various locations.

As you look at itineraries pay close attention to port times. Make sure you're in port long enough and at the right time of day for planned activities. ie lots of whining on this board about the 7am - 1pm port time.

I also encourage you to read past trip reports which are posted near the top of this forum. Lots of helpful first hand experiences that may help you with your choice.

Have fun with your research and planning !!

Thank you for your input, already ordered Alaska Cruise book as well as another Alaska travel guide. Thanks for the tip on port times.

Skagway and Hoonah/ISP are my favorites then Sitka. If I had won the $500MM lottery this week, I would have booked B2B2B2B2B etc cruise for next summer. There is no bad month for cruisin Alaska. May and September are typically less expensive, most expensive is Late June to early August because of school vacation. Whatever you choose, enjoy!

My only suggestion is that you make sure you are on a cruise ship that goes to Glacier Bay National Park. Only 2 are allowed per day and not all cruise ships are allowed to enter. Most of the others go to Hubbard Glacier I think.

We are considering our first Alaska cruise for 2019 and would like input into must see ports before choosing our itinerary. Also what my be the best month, June, July or August?

I have complete 5 Alaskan cruises, with another Alaskan cruise happening next month.

I have been to: Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks, Haines, Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), Juneau, Ketchikan, Seward, Sitka and Skagway. Each port has pros and cons depending on what you like to do. Also, it is a rain forest throughout Southeast Alaska so always expect (and prepare) for rain and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't rain.

Ports are important when planing a cruise, but there are a few other things to consider as well. 1. Cruise only or Land Tour (before always before the cruise)? 2. Inside Passage (usually cruises out of Vancouver) or West of Vancouver Island (usually cruises out of Seattle)? 3. Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm, or Hubbard Glacier? 4. Cruise Line?

May - September: Any month is a good month; you are in Alaska! One thing that may matter to your timing is the salmon run or other fish runs, especially if you want to fish for something specific.

I would be happy to answer specific questions you may have about anything I mentioned above or even something I may have missed about my time in Alaska. I truly love visiting Alaska and have done a variety of excursions (Ship sponsored, private, on my own) as well.

Best of luck as you plan your trip! Alaska is a beautiful place.