Mini boats & hidden beaches

Darrendarlene

• 3 weeks later...

Never done this in Antigua before, but did do something very similar when in Cozumel on 9/23/05. It was pretty fun, little 'speed boats' that accommodted two people. Boat trip to the beach was a nice long ride (about 40 minutes each way). When we got there we just had lunch and played volleyball. I'm sure somethings are different in Antigua, but since no one responded I thought I'd at least share what little information I could. :)

Well, on a trip just completed with very few bad notes, this was a major one. Tour started from the Serenade at 8:30, so they asked you to meet at 8:15, fine. After getting onto a completely breaking down cab bus my husband cuts his knee. Not anyones fault, just the start of the day. After a "brief bus ride" of 30 minutes out to the boats, I ask as we are waiting if there is a restroom I could use before the boat ride. The guy in charge points to the ocean. Nice. No problem, I can wait until we arrive at the "hidden beach" part of the day. We arrive after a VERY long BUMPY ride in the boat (i'm talking about an hour and a half) at the beach. As many of us unload our snorkeling stuff and get out the the boats the guide offers to show us the view so we do so, it is truly beautiful. As we are going down someone asks when we can snorkel and we are told "this is not a snorkling trip". But, he says he will give us 10 minutes to do it. As we get our stuff on, someone comes back and says it's all grass, don't bother. The guide then takes us back to the boats and starts the trip back. (note, I have still not seen a bathroom). The buses are waiting for us. For a 3 1/2 hours tour, we get back, 5 hours later and not ONE restroom the entire trip. It was so horrendous that we requested and got 1/2 our money back. It was terrible. Absolutely the worst excursion I have ever been on and completely NOT what is advertised. I would cancel this excursion as soon as possible and re-book something....

Miniboats & Hidden Beaches

Approximate Duration: 3 Hours 30 Minutes

Adult: 84.00 (USD) | Child: 84.00 (USD)

This tour will enable you to visit a beautiful beach and swim in the pleasing water of the Caribbean Sea. You will experience being the “captain” of your own vessel. This escape begins with a brief bus ride, your guide and boat will be awaiting you. Your certified guide will hand out life jackets and a brief orientation. Then you will “captain” your own boat into the open water for a cruise along the sapphire waters to a beautiful beach. Here you can bask in the warm Caribbean sun, swim or take time to explore the area. You will then “captain” your own boat through a scenic tour back to the bus, and then return to the ship. Each boat has two seats, and driving responsibilities can be shared.

Note: Please bring a towel and adequate sun protection. The minimum age to drive the boat is 18 years old. The minimum age for participation is 8 years old.

= To fully participate may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account.

The extract above is from the RCCL Excursion description. Is this where you booked your excursion Bhoffman, or was your trip a similar one you booked privately? I am very surprised with the poor quality of your trip. It must have been very disappointing. :mad: I think we'll cancel our excursion, but just wanted to make sure that your tour was booked through RCCL. Thankyou for sharing your disappointing experience. Hope the rest of your cruise was great.

Yes, it was booked directly through Royal Caribbean. I know all the people we talked to on the trip were very disappointed. It really was bad. I am NOT one to ask for a refund, usually just chalk it up to "life" but this one was so bad! I would definetly cancel through RCL and do something else. I would be happy to answer any questions at all....and yes, the rest of our trip was great, thanks for the nice thoughts! :)

Hi,

I just got back Sunday! I wish I could say that this excursion was great, it sounded like so much fun when I booked it...... actually it was ok. We got off the ship, had to wait an hour for the tour, took a bus through town-traffic was awful, got to the docks where the miniboats were, had to wait another hour for everyone to get instructions on boat use....then finally we were off! My husband and my mother were in one boat and I had to go with one of the two men who ran the excursion<--no single riders. The boats crash up and down into the waves, my mother's back and bottom were so bruised (black), I couldn't believe it... You are constantly waiting for people to catch up that by the time that you get to the hidden beach you have about 25 minutes and you head back! As for my husband and I (early thirties) My back was a little sore and my teeth felt like they were loose! Hope this helps!

On our cruise we met a lot of experienced cruisers! We learned alot from them. My husband and I love the water, snorkeling, etc. The port at Antiqua was not very nice, it was our least favorite, but don't get me wrong, with 365 beaches, I am sure there are beautiful places to go! Your best bet is to grab a cab as soon as you can disembark the ship and go to a great beach for the day. This way you don't lose a minute of your limited time on the island. I found that with the excursions I was waiting on the pier, more than I was enjoying the island!

Archived