Galapagos !!! Ship Info

buffetking

Howdy do,

Have a choice of rooms, 301 or 312. Anyone have any experience on this deck and cabins? I'll be sailing on the Dec. 3, 2006, 10 day cruise. Good time to go?

I was supposed to go last Dec. but had to cancel due to a pending adoption,

which fell through!!! GRrrrrrrr. I don't know what was worse, losing the kid or missing the cruise. After spending three fruitless years trying to adopt, we decided "hell with it', lets get back to the ships.

I feel better already.

Thanks,

Buffetking (AKA da fat one)

Hi BuffetKing, I don't have any experience on the Xpedition ship, but I am booked on the Dec. 3rd cruise also. My first choice of room was 301 but I think I accidently put it on hold on the computer before I called and I was told it was not available. I took room 310 which I am happy with. I'm concerned about sea sickness and I thought the closer to the middle of the ship and the lower deck might be better for me. I think it might be a good time to go as I've read that the seas are a little calmer then...once again, I have no real experience, just relaying what I've already read. I am so very sorry to hear about your adoption disaster. Having gone through that myself I know how much heartbreak that causes. We were eventually successful and will celebrate my son's 26th birthday next week. I wish you all the luck in the world and hopefully we'll meet on the cruise.

Hi - We sailed the 12/4/05 trip. It is absolutely amazing. I would choose the cabin closest to the middle. We were in 409 and it was wonderful...but anywhere you stay you will be in for the trip of a lifetime. (Originally booked 304 but the upgrade fairy visited and our docs said 409)

We were also on the 12/4/05 cruise with Sandy. We were in cabin 315, which is forward (next to last cabin) on the port side. It was slightly smaller than the other cabins because of the curve of the bow, but it was certainly adequate in size and comfortable.

Besides, you aren't going to be in your cabin other than sleeping, washing and dressing. The action on this cruise is with your shipmates on the common decks and along the trails.

Forget about all the big cruise ship stuff. This is a unique experience on an over-sized yacht.

Buffetking, We were in 401 (right above 301)... great location... I'd pick 301... cuz you're only 6 steps away from the buffet... really!!! None of the cabins are really a far walk from anywhere, but if you have a choice....

We were on the Nov. 13 cruise and it was great. I don't think there's a bad time of the year to go... honestly.

Dave

:) :) :)

Just got off the phone with Celebrity. The cruise date I really wanted was Dec. 10. Web site said "sold out", but Celebrity Rep. said the cabin I wanted was available. Cool. So now I'm on the Dec. 10 sailing in cabin 301. Gives me a whole year now to research, diet (hee he), and look forward to this grand adventure.

Most of my research will be done here on CruiseCritic.

What better way to know, than to hear it from those who have bravely gone before us.

Thanks,

Buffetking (AKA "rolls")

Just got off the phone with Celebrity. The cruise date I really wanted was Dec. 10. Web site said "sold out", but Celebrity Rep. said the cabin I wanted was available. Cool. So now I'm on the Dec. 10 sailing in cabin 301.

Buffetking (AKA "rolls")

There's already a roll call for the 12/3 date, and we look like a great group. Sorry you won't be joining us.

M/R

Hi Buffetking, I will be on the Dec. 10th sailing too along with some friends. My friends are a couple that I met doing a land tour in 1995. (The only organized land tour in my life).I am thoroughly excited and will probably take swimming lessons during this time to improve my stroke. I would like to use this time getting to the point of being a stronger swimmer.

Fran

You'll be glad you got 301. We were in 302 and loved the local...near the dining room, guest services, one quick flight of stairs to the lounge and no worry about motion of the ship or anchor noises. But, truthfully, there is no bad room on the ship and you'll love every minute! Do review some of the other Xpedition threads for helpful information from previous sailors. As you can see, we are still high on this trip!

We were also on the 12/4/05 cruise with Sandy. We were in cabin 315, which is forward (next to last cabin) on the port side. It was slightly smaller than the other cabins because of the curve of the bow, but it was certainly adequate in size and comfortable.

Hi,

We are booked on the 6/4/06 cruise in room 318 which is directly across from yours according the the ship layout. Glad to read that the cabin size was adequate as I was a bit worried. I'm rather curious as to whether there are any closets at all as they don't seem to appear in room diagrams.

No matter how small the cabin, it couldn't be smaller than the room we stayed in when we were staying at a hotel in London England. My husband had to turn sideways to go around the foot of the bed in that room.

Sorry about the "thumbs down". It's an accident that I don't know how to remove.

Hi - The rooms really aren't that bad. :) There is a closet; actually there are two closets near the bathroom that each have lots of shelves to put your clothing on. The night-table between the beds was perfect for underwear. Speaking of beds, they were the only small thing. They are small twin beds. They taper at the end. My husband's feet hung over a bit. :) We opted not to put them together since it felt like more room separated. We figured one of us would surely hit the floor if the other moved. :) :) :)

Thanks Sandy,

Good to know that there is storage space in the room as I expected to have to live out of our suitcases. We had also intended to keep the beds separated by the night table so we wouldn't be bashing each other during the night. It will be a big change from the king size bed we have a home, but we'll get used to it. I'm getting more and more excited every day.

Babo

We just got back yesterday, all I can say is count the days till you get to experience this trip! I cannot say enough in this short post, but let me just say that no one complained about their cabins on any level of the ship. We sprung for the 5th floor balcony cabin, since this was our 15th wedding aniversary. We met and spent time with folks on lvl #4 and #3 and everyone loved it. I do agree that you probably want to be in the middle of the ship if you are on the lower decks due to the anchor chain, but it only moves once or twice a day depending on which island you are at.

December should be a great month, you will get the full experience of Albatross airport on Espanola, they leave at the end of December early January for the mainland. We saw several pairs doing their mating dance and one baby, but the balance of the birds made up for the the lack of albatrosses.

We swam with sea lions, sea turtles and penguins, this is a trip not to be missed, and based on what I heard on the trip, you will be on the reconditioned ship since it is expected to go into drydock this fall to have a new water treatment plant installed and other upgrades.

I will post a review of our entire trip with comments and I have all of the daily ship intineraries that I plan one putting in PDF format and posting for anyone that wants to see them.

Several items I would suggest for anyone that is leaving soon,

1) Bring you laptop with a cd burner and blank disks if you can. Celbrity has a Kodak machine on board that will take your card from a digital camera and trandfer you pics to cd for 10 per disk, but it will not read big cards. We have a 1 GB card and it could not read it.

2) Small travel clock as noted by another member is useful in your cabin

3) Make sure you tuck toilet paper in your backpack for your travels in Quito. Bathrooms do not have TP, and they like to charge you for it.

If you have any more questions let me know and I will try to get back to you with an answer.

I hear that the Amozon trip will be the next Expedition trip with some time in Peru, may be my next Celebrity cruise!

M

So glad you had such a great trip...sounds exactly how we felt when we returned in May. Re: the Amazon Xpedition...we heard the same rumor last year but when we tried to check it out with X and with our TA...there were no such plans. We even asked when we booked our next cruise when on the Millenium in the fall and there was no knowledge of such plans. The folks on our week were ready to book the Amazon together and continue our comradery...but no such luck. If you have specific info...would love to have it. Thanks. Look forward to your review.

We had 301 and loved it- very convenient.

Emdee .... after reading several posts praising #301, I booked it today for Nov/06. Looking forward to it!

I read in one of your other posts that you went to Macchu Picchu.... did you do it on your Galapagos trip? We are thinking of flying to Lima on the Monday following the cruise and doing a 4 or 5 day M. Picchu trip... just need to decide who to book this with. Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first post anywhere ever (I lurk) so excuse me if I violate any rules. We are sailing on xpedition in July. Our group has the whole ship so we can request any room we want; we may not get it but we can certainly ask for it. I am both prone to seasickness and claustrophobic. I am leaning toward requesting 301 or 303 but cannot tell from the pictures of the ship if the windows are smaller than they would be in 401 and 403. So, does anyone know about window size AND is it really true that the 300 deck rocks less than the 400 deck? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

We just booked today for Sept 24th for the 11 day.

We want to leave out of Houston and still not sure if we will use Celebrity for air or not. We want to do MP either before or after the cruise. How do most connect to Celebrity?

Is the water on the ship drinkable or is there bottle water?

This imay sound silly but is there not fat milk?

Is it OK to eat raw vegies?

Thanks,

Noreen

Noreen - congratulations on booking your cruise! Re M.P. - I have been researching this as well for our December trip (we booked the 10 day Galapagos one). Lan and Taca are the two main airlines that travel between Quito and Lima, and also between Lima and Cuzco. Avianca also goes between Quito and Lima. You can get fares and schedules on line.

I've contacted a number of travel agencies in Peru to get ideas on plans and pricing (although when I contacted them, I did give them our itinerary and which hotels we preferred to stay in.) They have been very quick to reply, but I'm finding their prices to be quite high compared to putting the trip together on my own .... so if we go to M.P., I will book it on our own.

We are still undecided about adding M.P. onto this trip as we only have 5 days following the Galapagos trip and with all of the travelling involved in flying to Lima and then Cuszo, and train to M.P. - it doesn't leave a lot of time for sightseeing. So, at this point we are thinking of staying on in Quito to do day trips from there, and leave Peru for when we have 2 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I did this trip six months ago and it was fabulous. I was in cabin 417 which I liked. The water is so smooth the normal rules of lower deck mid ship to avoid sway didn't apply. They give you all the bottled water you want. The hotel in Quito also provides free water bottles in your room. They have binoculars in each room to use. The cabins are quite small but adequite. You need aqua shoes for the wet landings, try a target store for a fair price. Have a wonderful time.

You need aqua shoes for the wet landings, try a target store for a fair price. Have a wonderful time.

When you did the wet landings, did you change into your regular walking shoes after you got on land? If so, did you have to carry your water shoes on the hike?

Archived