Cruise the Vineyard question

Nacwolin

It is the same price in the MDR. Don't purchase the package while still at port on embarkation day because you will be charged tax.

Yes you can choose the same wine if you like. I always to this. You get 3 or 5 coupons and choose what you want and it can be the same wine if you like.

The wine package is about a 20% savings and it is a good deal. Even the first cheapest level has some decent wines.:cool:

It is the same price in the MDR. Don't purchase the package while still at port on embarkation day because you will be charged tax.

Yes you can choose the same wine if you like. I always to this. You get 3 or 5 coupons and choose what you want and it can be the same wine if you like.

The wine package is about a 20% savings and it is a good deal. Even the first cheapest level has some decent wines.:cool:

Thanks! Is it only available the first night?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So, I've been trying to do the math and some of the bottles on the list don't equate to anywhere close to 20% off. Anyone have a recent wine list with bottle prices? (I'm a geek and like to know what I am buying before I buy it!)

Not true. It works just like Cheers if you buy it in the debarkation port. You only pay tax on any bottles you order and physically receive in U.S. waters, not the entire cost of the package.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Forums mobile app

Here's the prices I found currently in the FunShops under My Cruise Manager for the advance purchase of some of the bottles listed on Cruise the Vineyard choices listed in the Carnival.com FAQs. Most of the time the price is the same onboard but occasionally it may be higher on the ship. Like for our cruise in Jan '18 the Moscato listed was $38 on board and $34 for pre-order.

Basic

$29.00 - Sparkling, Barefoot, Brut, California

$27.00 - Pinot Grigio, Zonin, Italy

$27.00 - Sauvignon Blanc, Santa Helena, Chile

$26.00 - Chardonnay, Santa Helena, Chile

$27.00 - Riesling, Funf 5, Germany

$28.00 - White Zinfandel, Barefoot, California

$??.?? - Rose ‘GIFFT’ by Kathy Lee Gifford, California

$27.00 - Merlot, Santa Helena, Chile

$26.00 - Cabernet Sauvignon, Santa Helena, Chile

Premium

$??.?? - Sparkling, Domaine Chandon, ‘Brut’, California

$??.?? - Sparkling Rose, Domaine Ste. Michelle, Washington

$39.00 - Pinot Grigio, Ecco Domani, Della Venezie, Italy

$??.?? - Pinot Grigio, J, California

$38.00 - Sauvignon Blanc, Kendall Jackson ‘Vintner’sReserve’, California

$??.?? - Sauvignon Blanc, Spy Valley, New Zealand

$??.?? - Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon, Cape Mentelle, Australia

$45.00 - Chardonnay, Le Crema, Monterey

$??.?? - Chardonnay, Kendall Jackson ‘Vintner’s Reserve’,California

$36.00 - Moscato, Castello del Poggio, Italy

$??.?? - Riesling, Lucien Albrecht, France

$??.?? - Rosé, Domaine Sainte Croix, France

$44.00 - Pinot Noir, Layer Cake, California

$35.00 - Zinfandel, Cline, California

$??.?? - Merlot, Columbia Crest, ‘Great Estates’, ColumbiaValley

$??.?? - Merlot, Kendall Jackson ‘Vintner’s Reserve’,California

$38.00 - Cabernet Sauvignon, Layer Cake, California

$41.00 - Cabernet Sauvignon, Hess Select, California

$38.00 - Shiraz, Peter Lehmann, ‘Portrait’, Australia

$??.?? - Shiraz, Grant Burge ‘5th Generation’, Australia

$??.?? - Côtes du Rhône, Maison Castel, France

$??.?? - Rioja, Martin Codax ‘Ergo’, Spain

$??.?? - Chianti, D’Aquino, Classico Riserva, Italy

$??.?? - Malbec, Terrazas Reserva, Mendoza, Argentina

Here's the prices I found currently in the FunShops under My Cruise Manager for the advance purchase of some of the bottles listed on Cruise the Vineyard choices listed in the Carnival.com FAQs. Most of the time the price is the same onboard but occasionally it may be higher on the ship. Like for our cruise in Jan '18 the Moscato listed was $38 on board and $34 for pre-order.

Basic

$29.00 - Sparkling, Barefoot, Brut, California

$27.00 - Pinot Grigio, Zonin, Italy

$27.00 - Sauvignon Blanc, Santa Helena, Chile

$26.00 - Chardonnay, Santa Helena, Chile

$27.00 - Riesling, Funf 5, Germany

$28.00 - White Zinfandel, Barefoot, California

$??.?? - Rose ‘GIFFT’ by Kathy Lee Gifford, California

$27.00 - Merlot, Santa Helena, Chile

$26.00 - Cabernet Sauvignon, Santa Helena, Chile

Premium

$??.?? - Sparkling, Domaine Chandon, ‘Brut’, California

$??.?? - Sparkling Rose, Domaine Ste. Michelle, Washington

$39.00 - Pinot Grigio, Ecco Domani, Della Venezie, Italy

$??.?? - Pinot Grigio, J, California

$38.00 - Sauvignon Blanc, Kendall Jackson ‘Vintner’sReserve’, California

$??.?? - Sauvignon Blanc, Spy Valley, New Zealand

$??.?? - Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon, Cape Mentelle, Australia

$45.00 - Chardonnay, Le Crema, Monterey

$??.?? - Chardonnay, Kendall Jackson ‘Vintner’s Reserve’,California

$36.00 - Moscato, Castello del Poggio, Italy

$??.?? - Riesling, Lucien Albrecht, France

$??.?? - Rosé, Domaine Sainte Croix, France

$44.00 - Pinot Noir, Layer Cake, California

$35.00 - Zinfandel, Cline, California

$??.?? - Merlot, Columbia Crest, ‘Great Estates’, ColumbiaValley

$??.?? - Merlot, Kendall Jackson ‘Vintner’s Reserve’,California

$38.00 - Cabernet Sauvignon, Layer Cake, California

$41.00 - Cabernet Sauvignon, Hess Select, California

$38.00 - Shiraz, Peter Lehmann, ‘Portrait’, Australia

$??.?? - Shiraz, Grant Burge ‘5th Generation’, Australia

$??.?? - Côtes du Rhône, Maison Castel, France

$??.?? - Rioja, Martin Codax ‘Ergo’, Spain

$??.?? - Chianti, D’Aquino, Classico Riserva, Italy

$??.?? - Malbec, Terrazas Reserva, Mendoza, Argentina

Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, because I am a geek, I did the math, and the 3 bottle deals are cheaper per bottle than the 5 bottle packages:

Basic 3: 25.67 per bottle

Basic 5: 26.20 per bottle

Premium 3: 38.00 per bottle

Premium 5: 38.60 per bottle

Anyone know if you can purchase the 3 bottle and then purchase another 3 bottle later?

Also, do they show the "Carnival Retail" bottle prices when they make the offer in the MDR?

Thanks!

Anyone know if you can purchase the 3 bottle and then purchase another 3 bottle later?

Yes, but the 3 bottle package is only available on cruises of 5 nights or less.

Also, do they show the "Carnival Retail" bottle prices when they make the offer in the MDR?

Not on the Cruise the Vineyards flyer, but you can check the retail bottle prices on the MDR wine list. Note they generally don't offer it in the MDR unless you specifically ask, but they do have the ability to sell it there.

It looks like your per bottle prices already included the gratuity. You'll need to add the 15% gratuity to the retail menu price to compare equivalent prices.

It looks like your per bottle prices already included the gratuity. You'll need to add the 15% gratuity to the retail menu price to compare equivalent prices.

Do you mean that the Cruise the Vineyard price already has the 15% gratuity factored in?

Do you mean that the Cruise the Vineyard price already has the 15% gratuity factored in?

I'm not sure where you got the package prices that your per-bottle prices are based on, or exactly what the current onboard prices are, but the package prices advertised onboard are before the gratuity.

This thread has recent prices for 5-bottle packages from the ad onboard:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2657174

Those onboard package prices + 15% gratuity get you the the per-bottle prices in your post.

The prices I posted are from the online FunShops and DO NOT include the 15% auto-gratuity or restocking fee (nor does it included embarkation state's sales tax).

So the fairest comparison (on the 5 bottle rate) pictured would be using the straight menu price. But unfortunately I have not seen a verifiable recent price list of the MDR wine menu.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

So, I called fun shops this morning. There is no additional service fee on the package price. You do not pay sales tax if you purchase through fun shops or on the ship. I am assuming that when you buy a bottle of wine individually in the MDR or anywhere on the ship, that you would be charged the 15% service fee/gratuity. So this is how carnival can advertise up to 20% savings [emoji4] - You’re basically saving the service fee plus a few bucks per bottle over all.

The FunShop call center person informed you incorrectly. Just like Cheers and Bottomless Bubbles the 15% auto-gratuity us charged, regardless of when purchased. And if you purchase it through Portside Retail (aka the online FunShops) and indicate aa activation time that the ship is still expected to be within a state's water boundary, that state's sales tax will be added at the time of the phone order.

The FunShop call center person informed you incorrectly. Just like Cheers and Bottomless Bubbles the 15% auto-gratuity us charged, regardless of when purchased. And if you purchase it through Portside Retail (aka the online FunShops) and indicate aa activation time that the ship is still expected to be within a state's water boundary, that state's sales tax will be added at the time of the phone order.

He said there is no gratuity and no service fee because a service is not rendered. I am going to wait till I get on the ship to purchase and will get complete confirmation then, I am sure. I even asked if the 15% came into play when you redeem the coupon in the MDR and he said no. I would hope the CSR would be able to answer questions accurately :-).

That said - I found a site that has the prices I was quoted (77 & 131 and 114/193) that said the 15% gratuity was already added in for those rates, so I think my per bottle calculation if purchasing the package is correct.

(And are we all thoroughly confused now, LOL?) ;-)

Edited by Nacwolin
additional info

When in doubt, reach out to your travel agent with 20+ years of cruise experience! Her response:

“The price is inclusive of the tax & service fee

$131.00 for Basic Package

$193.00 for the Premium Package

When you purchase onboard you’ll see the Basic Package COST + the tax + the 15% fee which when added up =’s the above prices.

When you purchase in advance they just quote you the TOTAL price and run it for that amount.”

When in doubt, reach out to your travel agent with 20+ years of cruise experience! Her response:

“The price is inclusive of the tax & service fee

$131.00 for Basic Package

$193.00 for the Premium Package

When you purchase onboard you’ll see the Basic Package COST + the tax + the 15% fee which when added up =’s the above prices.

When you purchase in advance they just quote you the TOTAL price and run it for that amount.”

Not sure if you got all the answers you needed but here are some pics of some wine list w/prices, hope this helps.

dlq4o8.jpg

14d0wlx.jpg

2mng2lx.jpg