Scenic Cabin Choice

Bolshoi

We are considering a Scenic Danube cruise on the Amber next July. Does anyone have experience with the "Royal Panorama Suite" located at the aft of the ship? Is there much noise or odors from being at the aft? What is the general consensus regarding the various classes of suites, in terms of usable space and value?

TIA!

Cabin choice is so personal. Many will not travel unless they have a balcony. We prefer "aquarium class" (ie: lowest level) as we are not in our cabin very much, and would sooner save the money for the next trip.

Many have commented that they find the cabins smaller than on a big ship - but the space is well designed, and quite functional.

I am sure someone else will chime in with an opinion in favour of the larger room/balcony.

Whatever you choose - enjoy!!

Fran

We poked our nose in one when disembarking from our last cruise and decided it was bigger than we really needed. Really quite a luxury. So on our next cruise we're going to do a Royal Balcony Suite again as a compromise for price, space, and services. The extra love-seat is handy if one of us is having a restless sleep, though too small to properly stretch out on (it's bigger in the Royal Panorama suites though). All the Royal suites, and the Junior Balcony suites, have a Room Service option for meals, which we like to use on occasion. Royal suites get unlimited free laundry service handled by your butler, which is a very nice perk.

Those features are more important to us for longer trips, though (14 or more days). For shorter trips we'd be willing to try one of the smaller, cheaper suites.

I have read a few complaints about noise in the Royal Panorama suites, and occasional reports of fuel or exhaust odour, but let's face it, you're on a working ship, that's going to happen once in a while. Most people seem to love those suites.

Sterling

We had a regular balcony cabin, middle deck, on the Jasper two years ago sailing from Budapest to Amsterdam. While not overly large at 205 sq. ft. we found it to be very comfortable and it met our needs perfectly. Budget is an individual thing so I can't say if a suite is 'worth it' for you.. For us the normal balcony was fine.What ever you choose, I think you'll enjoy Scenic.

Paul

We were on the Jasper in August, 2015 in a regular balcony cabin on the top deck. We had spent a few days in Paris pre-cruise and had become footsore from too much walking on cobblestones. We spent many afternoons in our rooms recuperating from the morning excursions.

We were on the south-facing side of the ship from Budapest to Nuremberg and the afternoon sun made it impossible to sit on the balcony. There was not room to comfortably bring a chair into the room and out of the sun. Aside from that we found the regular cabin to be a comfortable enough size.

We’ve booked an Amsterdam to Basel cruise for next year. This time we’re trying a Junior Balcony Suite for a little more space. We’ll see how that goes.

In between the two river cruises we will have cruised twice with Regent in Concierge suites. We’ll see how that affects our feelings for the smaller river cruise rooms.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many have commented that they find the cabins smaller than on a big ship - but the space is well designed, and quite functional.

I am sure someone else will chime in with an opinion in favour of the larger room/balcony.

Whatever you choose - enjoy!!

Fran

Our Avalon cabins are 200 square feet. We've never been on a large cruise ship with that much room.

Balconies in standard cabins, for the most part, take away living space from the cabin. The balconies cannot extend beyond the side of the ship due to the locks. That space has to come from somewhere, so they take it out of your cabin space (in most ships.) On a river cruise, I just don't get why anyone would want to have a balcony. For one thing the bugs can be really bad. Depending on the time of year, you can't even open your french balcony glass door without filling your cabin with little insects.

We didn't use our balcony on our Viking Cruise due to bugs and weather but a week ago we were on Scenic Amber and used our balcony almost every day, we loved how it was an extension of our bedroom and became a sitting room and because it had a slide down window and a slide down screen bugs were never an issue. They even have a glass partition you can close so you don't have to use the screen. Will book Scenic again due to this feature.