Norton Explorer(er)s Trumps BFF Putins land

Dinner tonight was going to be interesting. Earlier in the cruise I'd special ordered a dish that was either only offered on the GF Inaugural cruise or was no longer offered. Either way thankfully the chef knew what I was talking about. It was a chicken dish served over a creamy polenta with a sake/soy sauce. I think it was my favorite dish of that cruise.

A little comparison:

My dinner in 2016 started with Foie Gras

DSC00510-XL.jpg

The same dish in 2018

DSC01389-XL.jpg

While the portion size was IMO small (even for something as rich as foie gras) the quality was ahead of what I've had on Seabourn recently.

A little sorbet palette cleanser

DSC01390-XL.jpg

The chicken dish

DSC00514-XL.jpg

2018. Taste-wise it was nearly the same only the 2018 version had a little less heat.

DSC01391-XL.jpg

Petit fours. On Regent they're automatically served to you. On Seabourn you have to ask and then it's a crapshoot as to whether or not they're delivered.

DSC01392-XL.jpg

Dessert was a caramel popcorn eclair. I'd give it a pass in the future.

DSC01397-XL.jpg

Sunset that evening was nice.

DSC01394-XL.jpg

I guess they weren't doing the outdoor dinner grill that night.

DSC01410-XL.jpg

DSC01408-XL.jpg

These pictures are wonderful!!! Thanks for taking us back to Catherine's Palace and wonderful lunches and dinners aboard the Explorer.....the lunch in Chartreuse is our favorite of all! Can't wait to get back onboard....enjoy!

After leaving the museum we took the bus to a park and along the way passed the former KGB house. The guide made a joke about microcrete (it seems in Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania you couldn't finish a tour without hearing about this substance). Microcrete being a composition of 50% concrete and 50% microphones. The guide also mentioned that exile to Siberia was likely a far better sentence than if they tried to "cure" you of being anti communist. That got you an all expenses paid vacation to a Soviet mental hospital as a test subject.

DSC_8357-XL.jpg

DSC_8358-XL.jpg

DSC_8363-XL.jpg

In Riga the Whitehouse is the national ballet.

DSC_8365-XL.jpg

DSC_8367-XL.jpg

DSC_8375-XL.jpg

Thanks for sharing all the pictures of beautiful Riga. We were just there, on another cruise line. It was our first time, and we were really very impressed. A place we'd return for a few nights on a future Europe trip. The art nouveau architecture was truly amazing.

Our second to last stop was Klaipeda, Lithuania. Todays tour was of the lesser amber museum and of a church, and then the old town. Were I to visit here again I'm not sure I'd leave the ship. Aside from the welcoming band there were a throng of tourists nearby gawking at the ship.

DSC_8429-XL.jpg

The bus driver seemed to love his air fresheners.

DSC_8431-XL.jpg

The locals paid about as much attention to the sign as the average American bicyclist would.

DSC_8432-XL.jpg

We started off walking through a park to get to a mansion that housed what turned out to be the lesser of the two amber museums.

DSC_8433-XL.jpg

DSC_8436-XL.jpg

DSC_8438-XL.jpg

After the church we were taken back into town and were supposed to visit a local bar for a local beer and then go on a walking tour. I opted for the truncated option of "get beer, walk back to ship".

DSC_8513-XL.jpg

DSC_8514-XL.jpg

On the way back to the ship I was spotted by another passenger who had lost her way. Together we walked the short distance to the ship. Well we tried. Our progress was delayed for 15 minutes as the bridge that you had to cross was closed for boat traffic 15 minutes every hour. Our timing was just off.

DSC_8515-XL.jpg

DSC_8516-XL.jpg

DSC_8517-XL.jpg

The bridge in action

[YOUTUBE]8VPcY83fxXQ[/YOUTUBE]