Royal Princess British Isles — June 30-July 12, 2018

Cindy

From my trips to Portobello Road as a teenager in the 1970s, I remember Notting Hill as being fairly run down. Like many other parts of London it’s been cleaned up, the homes have been renovated, and it is now very trendy and expensive. I know the movie had something to do with Notting Hill’s popularity, but given the location and beautiful old townhomes the revitalization would have happened anyway.

296a812a69165258dc5296d7ad4d47b7.jpg2b3c8f9cf6f1f942cc05ee8a01067de9.jpg

Walking through the area today, you would never guess Notting Hill was the scene of a race riot in the late 1950s and the carefully restored, colorful townhomes were once run down multi-family dwellings that were considered to be some of the worst slums in London.

700e68c2d0b0d4b6a9458a8e85c296b0.jpg

931bea2745bf60248e03591898cd2c39.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our guide took us to see the Grenfell Tower…the scene of the horrendous high rise apartment fire that killed 71 people in June of 2017. I’m not sure how I feel about the inclusion of that site on our tour. While it was a tragic event, the description of events turned to tales of ethnic cleansing and murder, putting a damper on the morning.

6b69b4920a1f8d6d617cb90d126a1df7.jpg

3b44dc0339b660fc7addeb9aed95840e.jpg

d9be4107a3781cf14aab1b5e1a2d4fe3.jpg

Shortly after we visited Grenfells we made our way back to Notting Hill Gate Station where we ended the tour. As I said earlier, it was a pleasant morning, but we could have done the same thing on our own with a little time on the internet to get some background information. I highly recommend touring the area, but I don’t think Discover Walks enhanced our experience at all.

We got back on the Tube headed to Embankment for lunch and our afternoon tour. We ate at Gordon’s Wine Bar, an ancient establishment on Villiers Street near Embankment Tube Station. It was a great choice! Gordon’s has a large outside seating area, so while the inside was so dark and dreary I could barely see where I was going, outside it was warm and sunny and perfect! I thought the food was great…a big hunk of bread, a slab of English Cheddar, Parma ham, butter, olives, marinated tomatoes…yum! I’d choose that for lunch every day if I could!

5d83674357bd509b6fa79c4aba1cb8c4.jpg

2c4e42e2dbbcbf5fc7359cf8bc0b37bc.jpg

Our afternoon tour was with London Walks. They offer a wide variety of tours every day, with no advance booking required. You just show up at the designated location a few minutes before the scheduled time, pay £10 per person, and off you go. Our meeting place was just outside Embankment Tube Station.

742ba12bed2f8b1e64bf2f9938e03911.jpg

We had chosen the Sherlock Holmes tour, and for me this was also a mixed bag. I had taken a Sherlock Holmes tour 5 years ago when I was in London on a Tauck Tour, but I didn’t realize Tauck had made special arrangements to turn the tour into a game just for our group. I had something like that in mind when we decided on the tour, but ours was just a regular walking tour.

Don’t get me wrong. Our guide Richard was very knowledgeable and a fantastic story teller. I enjoyed listening to him. There were just too many people for me to really enjoy the tour. I think we ended up with about 40 in our group, which can be kind of hard to manage walking through the streets of London. Richard was excellent about making sure everyone could hear his main talking points, but we didn’t get any of the side conversation we’re accustomed to on smaller walking tours.

81d97ecf547c6ad2215f9b84a0cafd21.jpg

d994575d8061b6f6e12b9e4577b0194a.jpg

7db1bac82180ab9ddb64d79a64df954e.jpg045ca47fdd5999ab7f2395383494edb2.jpg9bf2d43ee894a2b228ce58d8725fb615.jpg5f3592ce5b4fe5b73baf897818df97d8.jpg

I witnessed something interesting and a little scary during our walk. We were on The Strand not too far from Covent Garden…standing in a big half circle around Richard. A pick-pocket(?) dressed as a little old lady started trying to mingle with our group, which was loaded with people oblivious to their surroundings. I think the woman thought she had hit the jackpot, because the number of ladies in our group with open bags was astounding. I spotted her and immediately walked to the other side of the circle, making sure the potential thief saw me and knew I was on to her. She kept moving, but I kept her in view until Richard was done and we moved on. I told the would-be victims about it as we walked to our next stop, and they were shocked to think they had almost been robbed.

I don’t walk around cities paranoid, but I always try to be aware of my surroundings and take reasonable precautions like a secure bag that’s difficult to get into in a hurry. London is probably hardest for me, because I’m so comfortable there and I always feel safe, but I still keep my bag zipped and carry it so things like cash and credit cards are extremely difficult to get to. These ladies who were almost robbed had no clue…bags wide open with contents plainly visible. It’s no wonder I hear so many stories about people being pick-pocketed. They make it easy!

After our tour we went straight back to the hotel to freshen up for dinner.

c10f0db40d4933388019bf146ce4c475.jpg

Six of us walked to the Kensington Hotel and had a leisurely, relaxing dinner at the Town House Restaurant. The pictures of the restaurant are from the website. I only remembered to photograph dessert!

b79ecbb536a39d2bf3b7b9e652e55568.jpg

b064bef88f95b7b08c1d7d48c9674612.jpg

8d16fcc15252dd00b93647438948615a.jpgd2e5c5ed9e8949cb90743f561c9a9694.jpg

As much as we were tempted to stay out and have fun, we didn’t finish dinner until after 9:00, and we needed to get back to the hotel and re-pack. Why does it seem like even though I work hard to keep things neat and do minimal unpacking, getting ready to board a ship after a few days away is always a chore?[emoji12] I finally finished getting everything ready to go long after Jim was asleep. I joined him in Dreamland so that I could get at least a few hours of rest before our Saturday morning 8:00 departure.

Up next…on to Stonehenge, Salisbury, and our ship!

Cindy, Earl's Court was the first area I lived in 1974 when I began my 12 year stay in London.

I lived on Warwick Rd where there is an entrance to the tube station you showed.

Thanks for the evocative photos of that incredible city. I hope there are more coming my way!

Looking forward to your outing to Salisbury and Stonehenge.

Norris

Interesting review.....I also stayed at a hotel in Earl's Court back in 1972 for a couple of weeks while on an art tour in college and at the Ibis Earl's Court several times for conventions in 2004 and 2006. As much as things change, some things stay the same. I remember well Portobello Road (I'd never seen so much silver in my life!) and the areas around Covent Garden and Piccadilly. I still have my 'Go As You Please' pass for the Tube in my scrapbook. We'll be buying Oyster cards for next year's British Isles pre cruise.

I decided to post the remainder of this review on the British Isles and Western Europe Ports of Call Board. Most of what I’m going to write about is the ports and our activities...very little about the ship and cruise. We were hardly on board other than to eat dinner and sleep![emoji23]

The review picks up at post #5. Here’s a link: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2665243