Suggested Gratuities for activities not onboard (tours/transfers/etc)

pyrwhite

Hi everyone. My husband and I are getting ready to leave later this week to sail on one of Regent's 14 day adventures for the first time. Although not a newbie to sailing, we are so with Regent. Since gratuities on board are all inclusive, and I realize that tipping is an individual choice, just wondering what your thoughts are on what is an average tip to give the folks picking us up from the airport and driving us to the hotel and subsequently to the ship? Also, any advise on average tipping of the guides and drivers on the excursions?

QUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

The tip for the driver to/from hotel would depend on how far the drive is, whether they did anything above and beyond like handling large luggage etc, just as it would be for a taxi or bus driver anywhere.

As far as excursions, it depends on the length of excursion. If the guide did a good job on a short excursion, I usually tip about $5 pp. On an all day excursion, $10-20 pp depending on how much actual work the guide did, and about $5 for the bus driver. But there are notable exceptions. I have been known to not tip a guide at all because they were terrible.

Here we go, again. This aspect of a Regent cruise has been a consistent Cruise Critic topic over the years.

RachaelG has "nailed it." Nice crisp $5.00 bills (available when onboard at Reception Desk) are obtained shortly after embarkation. Never forget the driver. These folks often are required to navigate difficult local traffic issues, and plot alternate routes. On one occasion, a driver returning us from a tour at Ephesus, Turkey (Voyager, 2007) saved the bus from disaster. A car coming at us in the opposite direction suddenly veered into our lane. Evasive action, which, unfortunately, resulted in our Tour Guide--who was facing us while continuing a narrative--taking a fall.

She had a nasty bruise, but no broken bones. After everyone had caught his/her breath--applause to the driver.

There are so-many more examples to be given on outstanding Tour Guides and drivers. Yes, we tip them. Tours 4-5 hours: $5.00 each to Guide and driver; tours exceeding 5 hours, which normally have included lunch, or dinner "in the field"--double that. They have earned it. Sure, there have been "outliner" situations during which the driver was lost; and the Guide had not-a-clue. So, no tip, and feedback to Regent immediately upon return to ship.

Best,

GOARMY!