Medenhall questions

Majesty Fan

We have a 2pm whale watch tour with Capt Larry and they will pick us up at 130-140pm on they way to the dock. How long should we allow at the glacier? We get into port at 11am. There are about 12 of us what is the cheapest way to get there? Bus, Cab etc?

Lexi

An hour is enough for most people. Are you looking for hiking or anything more extensive???

The shuttle bus is $5pp and cabs run about $20++ and fit 3 usually, unless you want to contact transportation ahead of time for a van perhaps??? listings http://www.traveljuneau.com

This is not a good option unless you have plenty of time. It can take up to an hour to get to the glacier bus stop which is a level 1++ mile away from the visitor center. Be well aware of the return bus schedule.

MGT and Frontier run shuttle buses direct from downtown Juneau to the visitor center for $5 and takes 20 minutes.

MGT and Frontier run shuttle buses direct from downtown Juneau to the visitor center for $5 and takes 20 minutes.

Thx for the info. Anymore specific info on the $5 dollar shuttles? A website or specific location for pickup?

Similar question...our port time in Juneau is 12:30 pm to 8 pm. Which is better to do? Whale watching with Capt. Larry 1:00 pm - 4:30pm then Mendenhall Glacier OR Mendenhall Glacier first then whale watching 3:30 pm - 7 pm? Will we even have time for Mt. Roberts Tram? (if the weather is clear!)

Thanks for your help!:)

Similar question...our port time in Juneau is 12:30 pm to 8 pm. Which is better to do? Whale watching with Capt. Larry 1:00 pm - 4:30pm then Mendenhall Glacier OR Mendenhall Glacier first then whale watching 3:30 pm - 7 pm? Will we even have time for Mt. Roberts Tram? (if the weather is clear!)

Thanks for your help!:)

If the 1pm whale watch is available for your port time, it would make the best use of time with a Mendenhall drop off. You could be back around 6pm and if of interest could take the tram. Definately consider skipping dinner this night, the scenic sailing out of Juneau is breathtaking and with your long daylight, opportunity for humpbacks. I'm always out until its too dark to see. One of the most beautiful sailing areas.

Bq, by using your Mendenhall link I found Combo Tour of 2 1/2 hr bus tour of Juneau, incl Mh. glacier plus a 2 hr. helicopter ride & walk @ the glacier for $200. The helicopter alone is $185. I guess the question is..is that too much time adding the bus?

Bq, by using your Mendenhall link I found Combo Tour of 2 1/2 hr bus tour of Juneau, incl Mh. glacier plus a 2 hr. helicopter ride & walk @ the glacier for $200. The helicopter alone is $185. I guess the question is..is that too much time adding the bus?

The bus tours are excellent and offer plenty of commentary and several stops, so no I don't think it is too long. It will offer you some great insights into Juneau. The time will "fly" by. :)

Thanks Budget Queen! I had the same question.

Our ship arrives at 1 pm and the whale watching tour with Capt. Larry begins at 3:30 pm. I wondered if we had time to visit the glacier prior to our tour...

Jean

Proceed cautiously if you are on the Mercury. It has been notoriously late regarding arrival time in Juneau.

Proceed cautiously if you are on the Mercury. It has been notoriously late regarding arrival time in Juneau.

As always go with the vender's recommendations for timing. They know the schedules best. :) Thanks Larry for the clairfication.

Yes I did see that date and wondered if it was a typo or if their site is that far behind on updates. As I'm lying in bed trying to go to sleep I remembered that I did not add that to my posts. Hopefully if anyone calls them it's still valid.

I am not sure how to answer the later questions in this thread but for the initial question . . . When we went whale watching with Captain Larry we coordinated with him as to how best to coordinate a visit to Mendenhall and then do the whale watching tour. We took the regular shuttle bus from town (you could see the bus stop from Captain Larry's office) to Mendenhall before the whale watching tour. We had about an hour and a half and did not do any hiking or visit the vistor's center and this was more than enough time. We had our six year old and he was done after about 15 minutes. We did try to climb over to the waterfall but it was quite a treacherous climb and we quit after a few minutes and decided it was pretty enough from where we stood.

Captain Larry picked us up in a shuttle van and took us to the whale watch. One thing to keep in mind is that the shuttles from the Glacier stop early so you don't want to end up getting dropped off there with no way to return to town.

It was a great excursion and a good way to see classic Alaska.

Hi all, I did cal Mighty Great Tours yesterday. They have not updated thier website. The new prices will be available in mid February. They will have the rate "special" again this year. It will be "about 210.00", they are still working on the specifics. It will include a Best of Juneau Tour and the Helicopter walk. It will last about 4 1/2 hours. Two and a half hours on the tour and about two hours including travel to, prep, and the flight/walk. The tour will include Mendenhall (40 minutes to look around), Douglas Island, downtown Junea, etc. I think it sounds like a pretty good deal. Can anyone with experience please give me thier opinions?

One thing to keep in mind is that the shuttles from the Glacier stop early so you don't want to end up getting dropped off there with no way to return to town.

I thought the Glacier Express Buses ran until 6-6:30pm. :confused:

Just got off the phone with Lacey at Orca Enterprises. While making a reservation for a whale watch tour I asked if we had time to visit Mendenhall glacier. (I was unsure of the departure time of our ship - have seen 3 different times on the same itinerary in different places). Lacey was able to set up a schedule where ORCA will make arrangements to take us out to see the glacier and will pick us up there for the whale watch along with getting everyone back to the ship in plenty of time. I know everyone talks about how great Capt Larry is on this board but I want to say how impressed I am with the customer service at ORCA. I left a voice mail this morning and came home to a return voicemail not 4 hours later. After calling them back and making my reservation I hung up. Not 15 minutes later,I received a callback from Lacey saying she had double-checked the departure time and wanted to reassure me that everything was taken care of. Now that's customer service!! (What a refreshing change from some of the tour companies I have dealt with in the past!)

Interesting, I talked to Lacey tonight too. See was very helpful. I got off the phone with her and commented to my husband about how friendly and helpful evryone who I've talked too at Orca has been. I feel totally convinced that we've may a great decision choosing them. Now hopefully the whales and weather will co-operate.

Archived