Questions about 10 day Jewels of the Baltic + 20 day Viking Passage

shudie

Hi everyone, we are looking at these 2 cruises for August 2020.

I have a few questions [emoji3].

If you book both cruises, do you stay in the same cabin?

Do you get off the ship for the day in Copenhagen in the middle?

I am a vegetarian and typically love cruise vegetarian food because there is a lot of Indian on the South Pacific cruises - is this the same for HAL? What’s the vege food like?

Do many children do these two cruises? We will be travelling with an 11 and 9 year old.

If you have done these cruises with kids - how was kids’ club? And is the weather /pool ok for kids to swim?

Finally, how rough is this crossing typically?

Thanks x

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did both of these cruises, not as a B2B but in different years.

If you book both cruises, do you stay in the same cabin?

You can if you book early enough that it is available on both parts.

Do you get off the ship for the day in Copenhagen in the middle?

You can. I definitely would.

I am a vegetarian and typically love cruise vegetarian food because there is a lot of Indian on the South Pacific cruises - is this the same for HAL? What’s the vege food like?

Can't answer

Do many children do these two cruises? We will be travelling with an 11 and 9 year old.

I don't recall many kids on either.

If you have done these cruises with kids - how was kids’ club? And is the weather /pool ok for kids to swim?

Too cold on our T-A for many people to swim.

Finally, how rough is this crossing typically?

We had one bad 24 hour period because as we approached Iceland a hurricane was approaching from the west. Except for that it was a smooth crossing.

I concur with most of what Carol has said. I would say that since the Lido pool area has a roof, kids would likely be happy to swim there.

I did the Viking Passage once, and the Voyage of the Vikings three times (similar route, and round trip). The crossings can be so varied in terms of weather and how rough the seas are.

There was a bad time on the Viking Passage where the ship passed the remnants of a hurricane. It was a little rough for a couple of days. On the first VoV we had a very bad storm coming out of Nuuk, Greenland, and it was very rough for about 38 hours. That was the worst I have ever sailed in.

But there were other crossings that were smooth as a lake; you barely knew you were at sea.

There will be fewer children on the crossing; probably will have several on the Baltic portion. But there should be enough kids for your children to have others to pal around with.

I highly recommend taking the cruises. Your children will have experiences and see things that will expand their horizons greatly.

I concur with most of what Carol has said. I would say that since the Lido pool area has a roof, kids would likely be happy to swim there.

I did the Viking Passage once, and the Voyage of the Vikings three times (similar route, and round trip). The crossings can be so varied in terms of weather and how rough the seas are.

There was a bad time on the Viking Passage where the ship passed the remnants of a hurricane. It was a little rough for a couple of days. On the first VoV we had a very bad storm coming out of Nuuk, Greenland, and it was very rough for about 38 hours. That was the worst I have ever sailed in.

But there were other crossings that were smooth as a lake; you barely knew you were at sea.

There will be fewer children on the crossing; probably will have several on the Baltic portion. But there should be enough kids for your children to have others to pal around with.

I highly recommend taking the cruises. Your children will have experiences and see things that will expand their horizons greatly.

What Ruth just said, with a double thumbs up.

My first cruise with HAL was in the Mediterranean in July on the Nieuw Amsterdam. About 15% of the passengers were under 18. The Baltic cruise should have a similar number. It was a very lively group in Club Hal. Depending on numbers, the age groups were sometimes combined. Ds7 and dd13 had loads of fun.

The VOV cruise would have fewer kids, but there should still be some. Our second cruise was on an older ship and had fewer than 30 kids but ds8 and dd 15 still found friends to do things with. In Club Hal, there were no dance parties, but the kids played video games/ colored etc.

Thanks so much for your replies! I have been looking at this cruise for about 4 years. We have good friends who live in Halifax that we haven’t seen for 10+ years, excited to stop there! Following this years’ roll call threads and enjoying their excitement and preparation. My only anxiety is rough seas!

Sent from my iPad using Forums