Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Oh my word. 

Has anybody else wasted 3 minutes of their precious lives watching Willy Wonkas’ best workers parading around in bin bags or Granny’s net curtains before deciding that this series wasn’t for them? I’m not a one for un”reality” tv but I was bored and gave it a shot. It looks to me like a group of sulky spoilt teenagers have successfully ram-raided the recycling bins in their Range Rover Autobiographies from the wardrobe department of the Royal Opera House and made off with what they could. What has happened to our world? 

Reality TV?  What's that?  Not something I have EVER watched.

The thing is, there is this place in our town (every town actually) called the Public Library, which is just full of wonderful entertainment/education options.  I would have to live to 200 to get through all of them, and by then there would be a few newer ones too!

Just started reading The Bright Sword by Lev Grossman, a picaresque novel set just after the death of King Arthur.  So far, wonderful.  The hero is a teenager – not sulky nor spoilt because as an "undocumented birth" (as we must say to avoid the censor bot) he has no status in medieval Britain – but apparently like D'Artagnan about to join the small group defending the forces of good against the ever-present forces of evil.

• Like 4

Today was simples.  Salmon, mortadella, garlic bread and wine.

Today, I lost my ipad.  We spent hours looking for it  She eventually found it where I put it.  Under the cold meats in the fridge.  Older people will believe me.  Youngsters won’t.  I promise youngsters that this is laughable but you will go through it. 🙂

Jeff

IMG_9157.jpeg

IMG_9158.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

What a beautiful tribute. 

I didn't think I would watch that all the way through, but I certainly did.  It was an excellent synopsis.  I am not a royalist, but I had very great respect for the Queen and her dedication to service.

• Like 4

On 8/16/2024 at 8:44 PM, lincslady said:

Well, purple is a royal colour,  isn't it.  Mysty, please try a Negroni sometime, just for me.  The great thing is that, made according to the recipe, they are not sweet.  Campari is,  to me,  a lovely flavoured sllghtly bitter drink, and a pretty  colour.  Campari and soda is the King's favourite tipple, although I am not sure if that is a recommendation.  I like it boozed up a bit with the gin.  Oh, and it should be served in a straight sided short tumbler. Can't  remember the proper name.

Love a good Negroni! Though now in summer I sometimes order a Negroni sbagliato, where the Gin is replaced by Prosecco. Better in this heat...

• Like 1

Went to Munich for a long weekend break last week. Bit mad in view of the fact that I will be off to 2 weeks of vacation next week anyway, but I just needed a change of scene pronto. Highly enjoyable it was, bit of art, some lovely churches, too much shopping as always when in Munich (yes 3 pairs of leather gloves from Röckl, and I really should avoid the music department of Beck am Rathauseck, much too dangerous for my purse), some real Bavarian food and a couple of beers. Hotel right next to Viktualienmarkt which is the local foodmarket where you can get even the most exotic spices and stuff. By Sunday the baroque lifestyle of the place had calmed me down sufficiently so back to daily work madness.

IMG_8174.jpeg

IMG_8179.jpeg

IMG_8178.jpeg

IMG_8182.jpeg

IMG_8187.jpeg

IMG_8199.jpeg

IMG_8216.jpeg

IMG_8218.jpeg

IMG_8225.jpeg

IMG_8236.jpeg

IMG_8240.jpeg

IMG_8246.jpeg

IMG_8247.jpeg

IMG_8248.jpeg

IMG_8254.jpeg

IMG_8261.jpeg

• Like 8

Angel Aloisius in Hofbräuhaus was visited too, of course.

This is his story:

Angel Aloisius is the protagonist of “A Munich Man in Heaven,” the wonderful short story written by Bavarian writer Ludwig Thoma in 1911.

Alois Hingerl was a porter with the number 172, and a loyal regular at the Hofbräuhaus.
He was struck down by a stroke and died while completing a task with great haste at Munich Central Station. 
Two angels carried him to heaven, where he was assigned the name “Angel Aloisius,” a harp, and a cloud, on which he was supposed to “rejoice” and “sing Hallelujah” according to the “heavenly house rules” on a fixed schedule.

The Munich man grew increasingly frustrated in heaven , however, due to a lack of beer and snuff, and muttered to himself, prompting God, after brief consultation with Peter, to send him back to Earth with a special mission:

he was to deliver a letter with divine advice to the Bavarian government. Alois was very happy about this mission, took the envelope with the divine advice, and flew straight to Earth – as usual, first to the Hofbräuhaus, where he ordered one beer after another. 
Alas, he forgot about his mission and has been sitting there to this day, while the Bavarian government is still awaiting the divine advice.

IMG_8223.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1