WheelChair Ramp

Hebe

Has anyone purchased one of those little (2 foot) portable wheelchair ramps that are suppose to get up over a cube. The weight about 15lbs and say they can be attached to the a scooter.

I was thinking this would be good in countries where there are no cutouts.

Thanks

Deb

I just ordered a fold up 12 inch ramp from a man on ebay. The one he was selling did not fold but he made it special for me. I haven't used it yet but I will this week.

12"x30" folding Aluminum wheelchair ramp 44.99 s/h 12.00

his name is codyco

A 24" wide threshold ramp will technically only allow you to go up a 2 1/2" curb, but we have used one on a curb or threshold up to 6" high. A lot depends on the design of your scooter and whether or not it will bottom out or not. Here is the one we have (you could attach it to a scooter with a bungie cord):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009QWAUS/104-1251557-5506335

Here is the one I was looking at --

EZ-ACCESS™ ROLLUP RAMP

available in 3 foot and 5 foot lengths

RAMP_Rollup.jpg

rollupbag.jpg

For scooters and all wheelchair types. Designed to bridge the gap over steps, curbs, and raised landings. The ROLLUP ramp offers a full-width driving surface that is lightweight and durable. Designed for maximum portability, the patented hinge design makes the ROLLUP convenient to store and set-up.

To use, simply roll out the non-skid track and attach the side rails for rigidity. Once in place, the side rails add strength and act as a bumper guide for maximum safety and support. For compact storage, remove side rails and simply roll-up the ramp section.

Made of aluminum and features a non-skid driving surface.

3 Foot Ramp Dimensions usable 3' x 30" x 2" or outside width 30 1/2" Collapsed size 6 inch diameterWeight Capacity 600 lbs. dispersedProduct Weight 16 pounds* *

I just ordered a fold up 12 inch ramp from a man on ebay. The one he was selling did not fold but he made it special for me. I haven't used it yet but I will this week.

12"x30" folding Aluminum wheelchair ramp 44.99 s/h 12.00

his name is codyco

Hi Sarahsmom85,

Just found the ebayer who sold you the ramp. His name is codycodyco - just in case anyone else is trying to find him. Do you think the 12 inch is best for curbs? Please let me know how you like his ramp and how heavy it is. Seems like a good price and it has a nonslip surface.

Judy

Spent a little time shopping on the net. Here's the best price for a 2 foot long folding ramp that I can find. About 75 including shipping.

http://www.allramps.com/Ramps/M229/Index.asp

Sara'smom- Why didn't you get the 2 foot long ramp for curbs? Just wondering if the 12" will be long enough for a scooter.

Judy

I got the 12" because we are using it with a wheelchair not a scooter. We have one piece unfoldable hard plactic ramps. also the long telescoping metal ramps. Neither would be small and light enough for a cruise. I wanted something very light weight. I am only looking to go up curbs. I wanted something that would fold up, to go in the backpack that is on the back of the chair. My cruise is this coming week. I will post back on how it works out. I will take pictures too.

Linda

• 4 months later...

There's a brand of fiberglass ramps called DECPAC, manufactured in Australia but imported into the US, UK, Netherlands, and elsewhere. These are very lightweight to lift, but can accommodate over 200 kg (450 lb) of weight, so they can handle almost every kind of scooter and power chair.

The 1 meter long threshold ramp will fit on a chair back (bag available), but we simply hand it from a handle or place it across the floorboard of our scooter.

The biggest advantage of these is the speed to use. Because these fold up lengthways, they can be deployed in a matter of seconds -- very helpful with train, tram, and subway doors where the drivers are impatient!

The DECPAC looks great, but wow! it is expensive!

Sarahsmom85, how did your ramp work out? What ports did you visit on your cruise? How were the accessibility issues in the ports and on the ship? Which ship? Was your ramp used with electric or manual wheelchair?

Can you post a photo of your ramp here? If not can you email me a photo at rfc40yahoo.com? I would like to see how he hinged the ramp and know how well it works.

Splinter, I like your ramp but 24" would not be sufficient length and 32" is excessive width for a 17" wide scooter. I need the dimensions reversed!

I had a ramp...20" wide x 26" long...used it in Rio at Sugarloaf...then airlines lost it in Brasilia or Manaus...so didn't have it to use on Amazon cruise. If it is not recovered soon, I will be looking to buy or make another one. Would love to post a picture of it here but don't know how.

Archived