Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

Thanks so much for the info! Sounds wonderful can not wait.

Our flight gets in about 2 PM I think, so we should be there about 3 or 4Pm with any luck.

We ought to se if we an arrange to get together for a beer by the pool in the late afternoon. :)

Thanks for the information letsgocruz1. I was wondering if I could do this since I won our hotel for December on Priceline, so wasn't sure they would accomodate us.

Does anyone know if you can still give them your Marriot loyalty number too?I know it doesn't count towards points for staying there but thought they would be aware and we might get any other perks for being members.

My sister in law, niece and I are cruising on the Victory out out of Miami Feb 25. We need one night pre and one night post cruise. Due to cost savings we are flying into FLL on the 24th and can stay in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami pre cruise. Any recommendations? We need a clean safe hotel. For post cruise I would prefer to stay on the beach probably in Ft. Lauderdale as our return flight is out of FLL.

Any suggestions on transportation, figured if I made arrangements in advance we could save a few $$. Thanks for your help....:)

For anyone else staying at the Sleep Inn Dania, below is information that Bequia gave me in another thread:

Originally Posted by Bequia

Sleep Inn is 1.5 miles from Hollywood Beach, one of if not the nicest beaches in SoFla. I'd recommend a cab and have them drop you off at the Marriott on Hollywood Beach. It's a great starting point to walk either north or south on the oceanfron broadwalk. Not only that, they have a fantastic open air cafe overlooking the ocean with an ecclectic menu. Simply delicious. The broadwalk is almost 3 miles long, very safe and secure.

Here's a virtual tour of the beach:

http://www.hollywoodfl.org/virtual_t.../broadwalk.htm

And another link:

http://www.visithollywood.org/

Marriott Hollywood Beach:

http://www.hollywoodbeachmarriott.com/

The cab fare should be minimal, $5-$8 each way. There's always cabs waiting for fares at the Marriott. The walk from the Sleep Inn to the beach is doable, it's flat with the only rise crossing over the drawbridge that traverses the intracoastal. I enjoy a good walk too but I would save my energy for the broadwalk beach walk. Trust me, it's a really gorgeous beach, the broadwalk is wonderful, you can check out all the family owned oceanfront hotels and motels.

I'm willing to bet after your visit you'll book a week in one of the properties for your next visit. Depending on the time of the year it's best to walk early morning or late afternoon as the nid-day sun and heat can get to you. (unless of course you bring your bathing suit, showers are available at almost every other block on the broadwalk )

Bequia: Thank you for your help advice here, we planning on booking the ESA but several more questions, is there a restaurant close (a short walking distance) by to have breakfast on the morning of our cruise on the 30th of Apr. and secondly the trolley mentioned does it travel close to the ESA.

boards, across the street from ESA is Einstein Bagels, decent bagels (not quite as good as a NY bagel). Starbucks is nearby as well.

The Sun Trolley passes in right front of the ESA on SE 17th Street. You can flag it down from either direction, if I were you I'd flag it down in front of your hotel and head east towards the beaches for a cheap (fifty cents) sightseeing tour. Note, the service runs from Thursday through Sunday.

Open the link below for the Sun Trolley map. On the map locate the Broward Convention Center and Eisenhower drive. That's pretty close to where your hotel is located.

Have a great stay.

http://www.suntrolley.com/bus_route-maps/convention.html

We will have at least four suitcases with us, will we have a problem getting a taxi to take us to the port? The reason I ask is I cannot get them in the trunk of my car. We will be staying at ESA in FLL, will they call us a taxi or do we make those arrangements.

We will have at least four suitcases with us, will we have a problem getting a taxi to take us to the port? The reason I ask is I cannot get them in the trunk of my car. We will be staying at ESA in FLL, will they call us a taxi or do we make those arrangements.

No problem with the luggage, the cabbies are pretty resourceful. There may be cabs waiting in the ESA parking lot or next door at the HIX. If not, I'm sure the hotel would call one for you otherwise call 954-777-7777 or 954-333-3333 :rolleyes:

We have pre and post booked at the Extended Stay America in Feb. We sail on the Star on Feb. 24th. I read on these boards that it is a great location and the hotel has a good reviews. It is more for busimess people as Bequia stated. She has been so helpful. There is no shuttle nor breakfast. However, we are going to cab it over to the cruise terminal and the rooms/suite has a kitchen area. We will either go to the restaurant or buy something and eat in the suite. We usuallly look for location and cleanliness first. Shuttles and breakfast are extras.

I will post when we get back.

Peace, Anna:)[/quote

Anxiously, waiting to hear what you think of not only the ESA but the Star Princess as well. We are cruising on her the end of April.

Hope that the smell isn't present as we are on the Starboard side Dolphin deck mid to aft area.

Please post back here - thanks - have great time.

Hi Hugger,

May I ask where you got the $89.00 rate for Extended Stay America in April ? We usually stay at the Amerisuites but the best rate I could get was $129.00.for April. We are arriving at 10:00 in the evening and leaving around 11:00 AM the next day. How far from the port is ESA. Do they have an airport pickup ? Thanks much, Knarf(Frank backwards)

I went right to the ESA website and booked it for the 89.00 rate. Haven't found it any less elsewhere. GooD Luck!

Here's a link to a site for those of you that aren't eligible for any discounts....and others may want to check and see if their rate is cheaper. It's for all Choice hotels - Sleep Inn, Comfort Inn, etc. It's through smartertravel dot com. We've used this several times and have never had to show any ID at all.

http://www.smartertravel.com/discounts/Save-Quality-Comfort-Clarion.html?id=16348

Thank you so much for this link. I was able to book the Sleep Inn for much cheaper than any other discount I could find. Our sons will be 20 & 22 when we go on our cruise, so I had to book for 4 adults, which pushed the price up. The suite with 2 queens and a sleeper sofa looks perfect for us. And throw in the shuttle and breakfast, and you have a winner.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed all the great information and feedback on this thread. Not only is this our first cruise, but it is our first trip to Florida, so I was clueless. At least now I have something booked, and it is cancellable, so I can still keep my eyes open.

. Not only is this our first cruise, but it is our first trip to Florida,

Girl, your in for a real treat. Read the threads on these boards, there's a ton of some really useful information. Have a great trip!

Thanks, especially to Bequia + TrentS for all the info + input on hotels, restaurants, shopping (Total Spirits), and transportation (Sun Trolley + Water Taxi). It was really helpful with our choice of hotels for our upcoming cruise in April. I appreciate the time you have spent on this thread!

Thanks much!

Steve

First, I really appreciate all the advice and input from those so knowledgable about the area. :) After reading this thread I think I'm ready to book a hotel that will work well for us.

It looks like the Embassy Suites is a good choice on 17th street. We plan to stay 2 nights prior to our August cruise and then I want to try the Gallery One Doubletree suites (using my Hilton Honor points) for a free night post cruise.

Any negatives to the Doubletree Suites on East Sunrise Blvd? Is there dining and shopping nearby?

Thanks for any info.

Any negatives to the Doubletree Suites on East Sunrise Blvd? Is there dining and shopping nearby? Thanks for any info.

It's actually referred to as the Gallery ONE now, still a Doubltree property but on the upscale side, more of a boutique hotel. I have not heard any negatives on these boards, the only downside is the distance from the airport/cruiseport.

There's some really great shopping close by at the Galleria Mall. http://www.galleriamall-fl.com/cgi-bin/stores/stores.pl Included within is Macy's, Dillards, Nieman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue. Dozens of retail stores between the department stores on this two level mall. Some really great restaurants as well, Blue Martini, Capital Grille, Seasons 52 among others.

You should be very pleased with this property. Have a great trip.

We are flying in the friday before our cruise.(memorial day weekend) and we are looking to stay at EMbassy suites. Any ides is this hotel in a good location? or do you suggest we stay someplace else pre cruise? Recomendations are welcome as we are not familiar with the area.

Archived