Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

Thanks Bequia!....You wouldn't be able to recommend any brands of Nice tasting in-expensive Red wine would you??? (That could be purchased at Publix).....Thanks!

Ps- What's a package store?...and do you know it's name?...may just pick up a bottle of Irish Creame also!!

Someone from another board directed me to this board. We are booked at the HI Express on State RD 84 and now I see it is getting a lot of bad reviews from this thread. This HI is ranked by tripadvisor.com at a Popularity Index of #7 out of 135. That seems pretty good. Has anyone stayed here and had a good stay or should I start to bug DH about changing the reservation.

I really love these boards and take a lot of stock from them, but isn't the tripadvisor usually pretty good advise also?

Help is really appreciated with this. We are going as a family and I would never want to jeopardize my family to a bad area. ~mary~

We're also booked at the HI Express on State RD 84 in late January. I think that most of the bad reviews are of the area not the hotel. People seem to think that the hotel is just fine. I figure that we're not going to be out after dark anyway. And the prices for the hotels on 17th street are unbelievably high.

We're also booked at the HI Express on State RD 84 in late January. I think that most of the bad reviews are of the area not the hotel. People seem to think that the hotel is just fine. I figure that we're not going to be out after dark anyway. And the prices for the hotels on 17th street are unbelievably high.

The HIX on SR84 is relatively new. It's a nice enough property and if it were located anywhere else it would be an excellent hotel. With that being said, if your staying on the property you'll be fine. If you go out during the day you should be ok. If you go out at night, take a cab, avoid walking the area. Regardless of where you are, always be aware of your surroundings. ;)

I'd check with the wine manager at that Publix, nice guy, very knowledgeable about the inventory he keeps. The wine managers have a little latitude as to what wine they order for their store. What you find in one Publix you may not necessarily find in another. A package store is a bar/cocktail lounge that sells bottles of liquor.

L.W., Stayed at the SI a couple of years ago and am booked for the end of August. You can try Berringer for reds. I like a white merlot if it is available. Besides the Italian restaurant, which is good and the Chinese (haven't been there), there is a sort of deli and a new Mexican restaurant in the little shopping strip mall. Don't forget Publix also has deli, subs, roast chicken and fried chicken. You can take this back and eat at the pool if it is a good day. Beej

Thanks for the information. Looked up Sleep Inn on the internet and the only one listed is the one at the airport. Is that the one you mean? We have not stayed in FLL for many years. The price listed for 2 adults was $165. Is this a decent rate? Seems a little high. Also, do you think it is too early to book for 3-2-07? What is the best way to get a reservation (internet or phone?) Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We're booked at the Sleep Inn Oct. 27 and again Nov. 24. The rate for Oct. $89.00 for Nov. $99. I called direct to the sleep inn to book. I do know they give a AA discount of about $10. that is not included in this price.

Bequia, or anyone else ~~~~I'd like to know if the Publix sells red bull. I tried to find out on line without much success.

Thanks in advance. Mimi

JudithLynne, I think that sounds high. Check out AAA, AARP, or over 50 rate. It should be lower. March is a tough time, but you should do better. You can call them directly or go on line. You can also call the Choice Hotel SI 800 number 800-753-3746. See what gives you the best rate. The king bed is one room. 2 beds is called a suite and costs a little more, but affords a lot more room. I think it is called the SI airport. The address is Dania, Fl.

You might also do better on Priceline. The only thing is that you will have to add taxi fares, so it may be close in price for there stuff. Check biddingfortravel.c to see if anyone is getting anything this far out. Give a holler if you have any questions. I'll answer what I can. Beej

Bequia, or anyone else ~~~~I'd like to know if the Publix sells red bull. I tried to find out on line without much success.

Thanks in advance. Mimi

Mimi, Publix stocks Red Bull...no problemo ;)

Do have some worry about booking in March with Spring breaks but hopefully earlier in the month will be OK.

Don't worry too much, it's a great property but it's not really a "spring break" type of motel. ......;)

I just called and the rate for 2 adults with the AAA/ARRP discount is $171 including tax. Seems awfully high. I did make the reservation just for the assurance that we have something. A few years ago we had to cancel a spring cruise out of FLL because we could not get airplane tickets or a hotel 60 days in advance of the cruise as there were so many things going on in FLL at that time. The hotel has a 24 hr. cancellation policy so I figure I can go into Priceline a few days before and see if I can get a better deal. We will arrive in the late afternoon so just need a place for one night and something convenient for picking up some wine for the cruise.

JudithLynne, if you go on line and can sleep in a kingsize bed, the rate drops to $152. The room is smaller than with the 2 queen beds, but for 1 night okay. Besides it is so convenient. Do check out biddingfortravel.c and biddingfun.c to see if there is anything posted about next march. If anything looks good, bid. I know people who get Riverside and Hyatt all the time. Then again, we couldn't get anything reasonable thru Pline because we cruised in Boat week. Hope that you can get something lower, but since you have no taxi fares this is still one of the best games in town. If I see anything, I'll jump right in with a heads up Beej

Thanks Beej...It is my understanding that the rate of $152 is the before tax rate which we have on our confirmation. $171 is the after tax rate. I did look at the other sites you mentioned and could not find bidding for next March. As you know, the last minute bookings on Priceline are the way to go as hotels want to fill up. I do think March is a very busy time of year in FLL with all the cruise ships and we may not be able to get a better rate. The convenience factor is a major consideration!

Made a special point to drive by HIE for you. The property looks very nice and there is a brand new Candlewood Suites (also IC Hotels) being built next door. There is an older shopping center across the street with a Winn Dixie grocery store. The area is not as rough looking as I remembered, and I agree with Bequia that I would not venture out at night except by cab right from the hotel. But to arrive at FLL and go to the hotel and then transfer to the pier in the morning, I would not hesitate. It's extremely convenient to both the airport and the pier, and looks very nice from the outside, appears to be fairly new.

JudithLynne:

I am looking for an hotel same night, in Ft.Lauderdale. I am having about the same luck you are. We are flying in pre-cruise, to save some $$ and not purchase air from cruise line, but at this point, I am wondering if we are saving that much.

I have NOT even purchased air tickets yet, as they are sky high, from the Illinois to FLL, in March. We have always cruised in November, and the summer months( to bring the kiddies), and March prices have me a little suprised.

I willl look into the Sleep Inn. Thanks!

Hi CruiseKatie,

I would go along with Beej at this point and make a reservation at Sleep Inn. You can always cancel it if you find something better. Let's keep each other posted.

Have not booked airlines either. We are flying from the west coast so it will cost plenty. Fortunately we booked our cruise well in advance and have saved about $1200 over what it would cost to book that now. I don't think I will get airline tickets until summer is over. Seems much too early to me, but will keep an eye on prices. I know that United has a fall sale every year with good deals. Maybe not this year due to fuel costs, but who knows.

What ship are you on? We are doing a 14 day Caribbean on the Sea Princess.

Thanks everyone, I just booked Sleep Inn for my April 28, 2007 cruise. Everything was as said here in the posts. No lower rate calling the hotel direct (I tried) I got $98.99 not including tax. Just need to give the 24 hour notice If I find something else. I just feel better knowing it's done!:)

Thanks Again, Dianne

Thanks for all the great info about Sleep Inn, I kept reading reviews about it, but still wasn't sure, until I read it here. Then I knew it was OK to book, these boards are GREAT!!

We just booked for our cruise in January 2007 on the Constellation. We got a room for 153.99 with tax, so I guess that is not bad considering some of the other hotels were going for 200+.

Thanks again =)

Archived