Snorkeling in PR

Scubadiver08

Hello,

Does anyone know of a snorkeling excursion while in port? Looking for private operator.

Honestly, I think you're better off doing something else in San Juan. I am an avid snorkeler myself here in PR and NONE of my favorite spots are in the San Juan area. That said, I have heard of three places you might try near port but I have to be honest and say I have not done any of them myself. One is Escambrón Beach which is located just a few minutes from port, close to the Caribe Hilton hotel. There is an area where is a bit protected by some reef and I have heard of people that have seen nice things there, including some Lionfish (don't have to tell you about them!). If you look up "Balneario El Escambron" on Google maps, it's the area straight north of the baseball park you see. Another area close by is the Condado lagoon. You could easily enter through the small beach besides the Condado Plaza and snorkel near the rocks there or cross under the bridge to the lagoon itself and try it out. Manatee are sometimes spotted in the grassy areas in the lagoon. The other place is a bit further (about 20 min taxi ride) in Isla Verde. Look up "Reserva Marina Arecife de la Isla Verde" on Google maps. The reef starts just behing the Ritz Carlton hotel and continues west to a small islet. Again, I have heard good things about it but have never done it, which is preposterous since I have been working within walking distance from it for the past 14 years!!:rolleyes:

You won't really need a private operator for those places but here's a few pointers:

Taxis are readily available to take to you to any of those spots BUT in Escambron it could be difficult to get on back. You could always try Uber or walk the just over 1.5 miles back to the ship. You could easily hail a cab near the Condado Plaza and you can get cabs in Isla Verde at the Courtyard Marriott nearby or you could get Uber as well. Also, there are NO facilities at any of those places. Only the beach at Condado Plaza might have some vendors sometimes for water or sodas or snow cones.

Come and stay a few days and your snorkeling world in PR gets a whole lot bigger and interesting!!