Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

9 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

Queensland is not a prime area for wine production. (I am being polite!) However, they are making an effort.  On this cruise it is the nearest we get unless anyone plans a long day or overnight trip from Sydney to the Hunter Valley. That would be interesting. I mentioned elsewhere in this thread that if anyone was interested in the XXXX Brewery this could easily be done under your own steam.

Taking food off the ship is a no-no. As Frantic36 says, it is a great way to meet a  cute sniffer dog and maybe get a fine. The Australian authorities will let you bring it on to the ship (some good cheeses etc) if anyone feels the urge. On a long cruise doing things like picking up a decent bottle of wine, or some unique local cheese etc adds to the variety at least for me.

Thanks again Turtle!  This will be our first visit to Brisbane.  I took a gander at the other listed excursions.  Nothing jumped out saying "pick me".  Do you have a recommendation for something interesting to explore there?

We did a Cheese and Wine tour out of Newcastle on the 2016 and really enjoyed it.  I guess I was hoping to recapture the magic with the Brisbane tour.

Edited by mysty

12 hours ago, mysty said:

Thanks again Turtle!  This will be our first visit to Brisbane.  I took a gander at the other listed excursions.  Nothing jumped out saying "pick me".  Do you have a recommendation for something interesting to explore there?

As they say, it depends what you are into.  If you like animals, the Steve Irwin Australia Zoo is nearby and a manageable day trip. There seem to be tours there but you could investigate that. We haven't been there.  A ferry trip to Stradbroke Island (Straddy to the locals!) could be interesting too.  Our plan, at the moment, is to have lunch with friends but being the middle of the day and midweek that may not work for them. If that does not eventuate we think we'll visit the Queensland Art Gallery and the adjoining Modern Art Gallery which are across the river from downtown. I've no idea where the shuttle bus will drop us (the cruise terminal is well out of town and isolated) but it will be somewhere in the centre, I expect, and the Galleries are an easy walk over the bridge. We've been before are both are excellent regional galleries with a very good collection of aboriginal art. There are also loads of cafes in the area. I'm also going to look at some nicer lunch places.

I hope some of the locals can chime in.

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Turtle!  One of the suggestions I found today was a CityCat ferry ride.   "Catching one of the sleek CityCat ferries down the Brisbane River has become the popular sightseeing journey. Passengers can stand on the open-air front deck of the blue, white and yellow catamarans and glide under the Story Bridge to South Bank and the city center. They run every 15 to 30 minutes, between 5.40am and 11.45pm, from the University of Queensland in the southwest to Apollo Rd, Bulimba, and back (a little over one hour each way). There are 15 terminals in total including New Farm Park, North Quay (for the Queen St Mall), Riverside (for the CBD) and West End. The CityCats are wheelchair accessible at the University of Queensland, Guyatt Park, North Quay, South Bank 1 and 2, Hawthorne and Apollo Rd.   The Bretts Wharf City Cat (a ferry) stop is just 300 meters from Portside and will take you to a number of key city stops such as the Riverside center, South Bank, New Farm Park, and Bulimba. It is a sightseeing trip by itself."

Thoughts?

43 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

There are also loads of cafes in the area. I'm also going to look at some nicer lunch places.

jillyf from Australia provided me with this link to the 2017 best seafood restaurants in Brisbane in the Cooler.  Thanks jillyf!  

https://stylemagazines.com.au/food/brisbanes-best-seafood-restaurants-3/

There are some great suggestions there. I've been to Gambero's (it is a very long established Brisbane institution) and Jellyfish and would love to go again. I'll check out what is open for lunch on a Tuesday - most should be. Bookings might be needed a few days in advance.  I also like Aquitaine on South Bank (near one of the cat stops).  It is French, very good food, quite smart casual and has great views across the river and back to the city. https://aquitainebrasserie.com.au/

One of the things to bear in mind  when planning a day is that Brisbane (and even more so Cairns) will be very hot and humid at this time of the year.  There is a chance of rain, possibly heavy.  I am not trying to put anyone off but some will find it a challenge walking around a lot.

On with the planning!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

Was it you Mysty asking about Morton Bay bugs?  I seem to recall.  Jellyfish has them on the menu as a main course which probably most of those fish restaurants do, come to think of it, as we are in Bug Central!

Good memory Turtle!  Yes, it was me.  Myster loves those Bugs!  He will be best pleased to find somewhere to get them.  Thanks for the additional restaurant list as well.  An embarrassment of riches here!  And now I have the munchies!  🙂 

• Haha 1

Apparently there will be 240 full world cruisers for 2019.  The majority of them will be passengers who have done an SS World Cruise before.  As a reporter, I can't reveal my source.  🙂  It seems like this cruise may be like "old home week" for many.

Very happy to hear that you are open to meeting "newbies" 343!  🙂  I think Myster and I will count in the newbie crowd for many people.  This will be our 4th SS cruise.  Relative newcomers to the fold.

Currently 5 of the 9 segments have at least two passengers registered for the Meet and Mingle:

January 6, 2019 - 12 people

March 18, 2019 - 4 people

April 3, 2019 - 2 people

April 17, 2019 - 4 people

May 11, 2019 - 2 people

Edited by mysty

According to the US Center for Disease Control, a number of the countries in Africa are rated as high risk for malaria with a number of other countries rated as moderate.  Hopefully everyone is aware of these risk and making arrangements for the appropriate malaria pills.  

• Thanks 2

Here's the list I assembled.

Location Date   Malaria Risk
Mombasa, Kenya 3-Apr   Moderate
Amboseli     High
Zanzibar, Tanzania 5-Apr   High
Mamoudzou, Mayotte 7-Apr   Rare
Nosy Be, Madagascar 8-Apr   Moderate
Maputo, Mozambique 11-Apr   Moderate
Richards Bay 12-Apr   Low
Durban 13-Apr   Low
Kruger     High
East London 14-Apr   Low
Cape Town 16-Apr   Low
Walvis Bay, Namibia 20-Apr   Low
Sao Tome, Sao Tome/Principe 25-Apr   Low
Lome, Togo 27-Apr   High
Accra/Tema, Ghana 28-Apr   High
Banjul,Gambia 2-May   High
Dakar, Senegal 3-May   High
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

I think that is a very good idea. Maybe take the cat into town and the shuttle back?  The river twists round and there are some nice views. Come to think of it we may do that as it stops at the Arts Centre.

Quick question Turtle please.  The ferry ticket is valid for one direction only correct?  If we wanted to do the complete circuit before deciding where to alight we would need to get a ticket each for each direction?  I perused the website and it was not clear to me.  Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Another option is to take a bus from the central bus station to go out to visit the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary.  We missed the ship's tour and did this on our own.  It was a little faster as we set our own schedule and alot cheaper.  One of the few places you can actually hold a koala.  Some other interesting animals as well.

See the following link - https://koala.net/.

DCC57 is fine with me.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mysty said:

Quick question Turtle please.  The ferry ticket is valid for one direction only correct?  If we wanted to do the complete circuit before deciding where to alight we would need to get a ticket each for each direction?  I perused the website and it was not clear to me.  Thanks for any insight you can provide!

I am not much the wiser mysty. You need a math degree to work out the fare structure.

I suspect you are right (ie you'll need a second ticket) as they don't appear to have round trip tickets or day tickets for visitors. You probably can actually buy a ticket on the ferry for the return leg though I'd much rather a Brisbane local put us straight instead of me guessing. You look like you'll be up for full paper ticket fare too (AUD4.70) rather than the senior fare, AUD2.40, as you need an Australian Seniors card for those. (Not presuming you'd qualify by age of course!!) Sorry I'm not much use but you can guarantee that they'll be able to advise at the Brett's Wharf stop or, if it is unmanned, on the cat as they'll be used to tourists coming off ships there.

ps I think DCC57's Lone Pine suggestion is excellent and very manageable on your own.

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Turtle!  I do have a Math degree.  I worked over 20 years with Canada's statistical agency.  Does not help me trying to figure out the fare structure though.  Seems much more complicated than it needs to be.  I would qualify for the senior designation (I turned 66 on November 11) and alas I am not an Australian.  It would be nice if they extended the courtesy to Canadians (being part of the Commonwealth) 🙂 .  Rest assured that I do appreciate your input!  And thanks for throwing your support behind DCC57's  Lone Pine suggestion!