Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

2 minutes ago, mysty said:

Thanks Turtle!  I do have a Math degree.  I worked over 20 years with Canada's statistical agency.  Does not help me trying to figure out the fare structure though.  Seems much more complicated than it needs to be.  I would qualify for the senior designation (I turned 66 on November 11) and alas I am not an Australian.  It would be nice if they extended the courtesy to Canadians (being part of the Commonwealth) 🙂 .  Rest assured that I do appreciate your input!  And thanks for throwing your support behind DCC57's  Lone Pine suggestion!

The joys of travel! I think the issue is that most local people have "go" cards - not practical for a one day visit - and they would make life a lot easier and probably more understandable. It is basically a commuter ferry so there won't be many of us with paper tickets.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Turtle!  I did get that distinct impression when I tried to navigate the website.  Their options for tourists are a 3 day or 5 day go card.  Probably great for people on a land voyage and not at all helpful for cruisers there for a day.  I have no problem standing out in a crowd.  By that I mean being a lonely paper ticket user.  🙂

The cruise ticket is now available for download from MySilversea.  It may have been a rush job since there are some missing bits of info and a few minor errors on ours.  Once again it is under the Documents black button. 🙂 

49 minutes ago, mysty said:

The cruise ticket is now available for download from MySilversea.  It may have been a rush job since there are some missing bits of info and a few minor errors on ours.  Once again it is under the Documents black button. 🙂 

Yes, it is a bit of a dog's breakfast.  Is that a Canadian expression too? 🙂

23 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

Yes, it is a bit of a dog's breakfast.  Is that a Canadian expression too? 🙂

Yes and yes Turtle!  It is a bit of a dog's breakfast and yes, that is a Canadian expression too (although the younger crowd would not understand it 🙂  )

• Haha 1

In case anyone is interested in the CityCat ferry route here is a link from the City of Brisbane website.  The link provides a small map as well as a table containing Places of Interest for each stop.

https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/public-transport/citycat-ferry-services/citycatspeedycat-ferry-terminal-locations

I have a pondering and I am wondering if anyone has a definitive answer.  One of the "benefits" outlined for people doing the full World Cruise is unlimited internet.  My pondering...is the unlimited internet the regular internet that all guests have access to?  Or is it the premium internet that guests in the larger suites are granted?  We are not in one of the larger suites.  If the access for us is the regular internet that does not really read as a "benefit" to my way of thinking.  I plan to pose my pondering to our TA.  I just thought I would ask folks in this wonderful informative forum for their input.  Thanks to all who can advise!

Regarding my pondering in the post above...I want to apologize to all.  On my re-reading of my post (which I should have done while there was time to edit it) I am concerned that the tone came across as elitist and entitled.  For that I apologize!  That is not who I am.  I will be more thoughtful in future posts.

Edited by mysty

Mysty - No need to apologize!  I had the same concern.  I did some research a few weeks ago and I found a footnote somewhere on the Silversea website that confirmed that all full World Cruisers will get premium internet.  On last year's cruise, I was able to use the ship's internet to make Wifi calls from my phone.  I wanted to make sure that would still be the case now that Silversea has gone to a two-tier internet offering.  Now back to figuring out what to pack!  

• Thanks 1

Thanks to HunEBear's detective skills and her excellent clue I did find the appropriate footnote.  For anyone interested:

https://www.silversea.com/travel-informations/wifi-packages.html

Scroll down to the page bottom and behold......"Unlimited Premium Internet access is available for guests booked on World Cruise 2019 and World Cruise 2020."

And thanks again HunEBear!

It's Sunday morning here and I must try not to be too cynical. It's my resolution for the day. 🙂  However, something tells me that if there are 240 world cruisers and we are all entitled to premium wifi it is not going to be too premium when we all try to get on line.

Good Sunday morning Turtle!  And your skepticism is shared!  I am hoping that it may be better than 240 world cruisers wrestling for access to the standard internet option.  I think that would be bordering on fruitless.  We will see what we will see.  My optimistic slant is being sorely tried with this one though.

How about some interesting numbers?  🙂  On the 2016 World Cruise there were 7 segments.  The Meet and Mingle for each of the 7 segments met the required quorum of 6.  The 2019 World Cruise has 9 segments.  The Meet and Mingle for the first segment has met the required quorum.  None of the other segments yet qualify.  It is early days yet and interest may fire up.

Taking a look at suite availability (from the SS website) for this cruise:

4901 - All suites are waitlisted

4902 - All suites are waitlisted

4903 - Veranda and Vista suites are available

4904 - Silver, Veranda and Vista suites are available

4905 - Silver, Veranda and Vista suites are available

4906 - Royal, Veranda and Vista suites are available

4907 - All suites are waitlisted

4908 - All suites are waitlisted

4909 - Veranda and Vista suites are available

Cyber Monday sales may change the picture.

I think the Lady Whisper goes into dry dock soon.  I'm really hoping that the planned partial refit for all suites does not involve removing the wonderful storage options in the desk area, side tables and bedside tables.  Storage would be a challenge for 4.5 months if they do.

She is headed towards Barbados and arrives tomorrow.  I believe all the passengers will probably disembark and then she will probably head to Freeport for Drydock, although she may do a cruise to San Juan and then head to Freeport.  The Wind just left Port Everglades and is headed to Freeport for her Drydock.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As you suggest the problem with wifi is bandwidth nowhere that I can see on the web site does it say what the difference is between the 2 classes in terms of quality or bandwidth or your priority.

I do not want to get too technical but there are lots of ways that data can be managed in its journey around the world just like you are about to experience. 

I do hope you follow the principle of backing up all the photos videos on at least 2 devices and if you have the time a transfer of the best to a cloud storage site.  

A world cruise is something to enjoy from the very first minute that you check in and enjoy the company of strangers who will become friends. I am still talk to many great and wonderful friends after my great adventure of 2014. I hope you too will enjoy.

BTW Mysty is a great person 

I wish you smooth seas and adventures galore.

Joe_90 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Bluebelle14 said:

Yes, the Whisper will go to drydock December 8 and be in Ft. Lauderdale December 20.  She will be beautifully renovated and the holiday cruise will be wonderful.  Can't wait to get aboard!!

SS cancelled the scheduled cruise and the Whisper is now headed to Freeport where she will enter drydock on 11/30.  SS previously reported that they extended the drydock to 3 weeks to make further enhancements (for one, they are adding zodiacs and a crane for the upcoming visit to Antarctica during the 2020 WC).

Edited by HunEBear
added a word
  • Thanks 1