Kids in another stateroom

Tntt

We are booked on symphony for may 2019 because it was the cheapest sailing next yr. I guess we waited too late because all of the cabins that hold 4 guest or more are booked& they have no more connecting rms and all that is left is owners suites which are 2500.00 per person. We had to resort to 2 rooms side by side and our teen children will be in one and we will be next door. I'm still a little nervous because there wont be any type of adjoining door that I could keep a eye on them. Have anyone ever cruised and your children had separate rooms? Is this a safe option?

I understand your hesitation. In you shoes, i would...

-If you have a balcony room, ask the room attendant to open the balcony divider, then ask the kids to close but not lock the balcony door.

-Before their suppose bed time/curfew. Take their room keys/set sail pass, and keep it with you until morning. If they try to sneak out, then they can't get back in.

Of course there are still ways of sneaking out/around... but then it won't really be just about cruising in separate rooms.

We always booked rooms that could fit five of us, our kids before the age of 18/19 would never want to be in their own room unless they were adjoining ours...and those were Disney cruises. They are 19-23 now and right now are two decks below us...if they feel unsafe-they know they are welcome to come sleep in our room. Privacy was never an issue bc on Disney ships-you know where they are and they go see a movie together...we have privacy...because the kids are never in the room- we enjoyed “my time” privacy...not limited to bedtime...the kids felt safer with us tucking them in and we loved hearing all their stories after a fun day...vacations are about memories and sharing...we just prefer to be in the same room or adjoining. I’m pretty sure 1-2 of ours will sleep in our room just because it’s bigger and has a nicer bathroom

No they don't sleep in my room at home. But I also don't have 4,000 strangers in my home either. Again I said it would be fine for Teens to be in their own rooms, its 5 year olds alone that I think is a bad parenting choice.

OP didn't ask about five year old's. We didn't allow our's at that age to run free on the ship and they did sleep in our room. But as OP asked, teenagers have to be considered in a different light and evaluated by those that know them.

Bottom line, it's whatever the parents are comfortable with.