US customs

stepkar

Bruce basically has the right of it (it's 8:30pm that CBP stop working at the main desks, but the Connecting desk has shorter hours stopping at 7pm). You may find this handy - YVRs official passenger guide. Choose the appropriate option (Connecting to a US City) from the dropdown, then your departing airline, and it should walk you through the whole 'what happens to my bags, do I see Security, Customs, Immigration or not' process.

When flying from Toronto to Anchorage with a connection in Vancouver to board a cruise, does anyone know if we go through US customs in Toronto or Vancouver?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Arriving in YVR and doing US Customs-- Check the YVR web page as Martincath mentioned above for the hours operating

You will do US Customs behind Security from Toronto--IF you have a boarding pass. If not you have to exit and check in at your airline for Anchorage and get a boarding pass.

US Customs behind security may ask you to identify your bags on their computer if they are automatically transferred.

Your bags will be transferred IF you are using the same airline or one sharing airline. Your baggage tag will have on it YVR to Anchorage -ANC if you are having them transferred.

If you are going to Anchorage with a Different non sharing airline--- Then you will need to pick up your bags downstairs Level 2 from your arrival from Toronto and check in at your US Airline Counter--- Level 3 for your luggage tag and boarding pass.

Then drop off your bag on the belt first with the agent that is there. Go through Security and then to US Customs and then to your gate.

Much quicker if you are booked with the same or sharing airline and have a boarding pass.

Edited by CVU

Bruce basically has the right of it (it's 8:30pm that CBP stop working at the main desks, but the Connecting desk has shorter hours stopping at 7pm). You may find this handy - YVRs official passenger guide. Choose the appropriate option (Connecting to a US City) from the dropdown, then your departing airline, and it should walk you through the whole 'what happens to my bags, do I see Security, Customs, Immigration or not' process.

Thank you, this has been very helpful.

Arriving in YVR and doing US Customs-- Check the YVR web page as Martincath mentioned above for the hours operating

You will do US Customs behind Security from Toronto--IF you have a boarding pass. If not you have to exit and check in at your airline for Anchorage and get a boarding pass.

US Customs behind security may ask you to identify your bags on their computer if they are automatically transferred.

Your bags will be transferred IF you are using the same airline or one sharing airline. Your baggage tag will have on it YVR to Anchorage -ANC if you are having them transferred.

If you are going to Anchorage with a Different non sharing airline--- Then you will need to pick up your bags downstairs Level 2 from your arrival from Toronto and check in at your US Airline Counter--- Level 3 for your luggage tag and boarding pass.

Then drop off your bag on the belt first with the agent that is there. Go through Security and then to US Customs and then to your gate.

Much quicker if you are booked with the same or sharing airline and have a boarding pass.

Thanks for this information.

We are going the opposite direction. We fly out of Vancouver, connect in Toronto, then on to Philadelphia. Am I correct that as long as we get both boarding passes when we check in at Vancouver, we will not have to collect our bags in Toronto? ( both legs are with Air Canada) We have a little less than two hours layover- is that enough time for customs and getting to our next gate?

We are going the opposite direction. We fly out of Vancouver, connect in Toronto, then on to Philadelphia. Am I correct that as long as we get both boarding passes when we check in at Vancouver, we will not have to collect our bags in Toronto? ( both legs are with Air Canada) We have a little less than two hours layover- is that enough time for customs and getting to our next gate?

Correct.

You will depart from Vancouver from the domestic terminal area on a domestic flight. Your bags should be tagged to Philly.

When you arrive in Toronto follow signs for US connections. You will go upstairs into a special area for US connecting. Very quick security check, once your name appears on a screen that means your bags have been processed and you can go through US customs/immigration.

The computer system will show the US customs/immigration staff member a photo of your bags. The agent can have the computer system send the bags upstairs or release them to your connecting flight. Vast majority of the time they just release them.

You then head to your gate and board your flight. In Philly you will arrive at a domestic gate.

Sounds like a lot going on however it actually moves very quickly. Air Canada staff are also around any lines and will pull people to the front as needed to make certain people make their connections.

Two hours should be sufficient time.

I believe you are correct. We've connected in Toronto when flying to Florida from Vancouver and while a few years ago that meant collecting bags, they started allowing bags to go all the way through at least within 'single booking' sets of flights with the same airline/group at least a couple of years back now (we did WestJet most recently). Pearson's Connections Guide also suggests there is no 'collect bags' stage for an all-AC YVR-YYZ-PHI flight - so you should be fine with 2 hours (and worst-case, the airline let you book it and it's on them to get you home at their expense if you miss the second leg - your part of the process is to get to the FIRST leg on-time!!!)

Thanks Martin! Yes, we will have to make that first flight, but should be easier without the US Customs to do at the airport. Hopefully the security lines are not too long! We are used to TSA precheck when we fly in the USA... much shorter lines with that!

Thanks Martin! Yes, we will have to make that first flight, but should be easier without the US Customs to do at the airport. Hopefully the security lines are not too long! We are used to TSA precheck when we fly in the USA... much shorter lines with that!

You will still have US Immigration procedures.

I believe you are correct. We've connected in Toronto when flying to Florida from Vancouver and while a few years ago that meant collecting bags, they started allowing bags to go all the way through at least within 'single booking' sets of flights with the same airline/group at least a couple of years back now (we did WestJet most recently). Pearson's Connections Guide also suggests there is no 'collect bags' stage for an all-AC YVR-YYZ-PHI flight - so you should be fine with 2 hours (and worst-case, the airline let you book it and it's on them to get you home at their expense if you miss the second leg - your part of the process is to get to the FIRST leg on-time!!!)

Yes, Terminal 1 is setup with the automated bags transfer as well as special lines for connecting passengers. Air Canada and United are in Terminal 1.

Terminal 3 is not setup with the new system. WestJet, Delta and American operate out of Terminal 3.

You will still have US Immigration procedures.

We still have to do customs at Vancouver airport as well as in Toronto? I thought if it was a domestic flight (vancouver to toronto) that we could skip that part. I know about the Canadian customs at the pier getting off the ship.

We still have to do customs at Vancouver airport as well as in Toronto? I thought if it was a domestic flight (vancouver to toronto) that we could skip that part. I know about the Canadian customs at the pier getting off the ship.

If you are flying Vancouver-Toronto-PHL, you will do US Immigration and Customs (normally two separate processes)in Toronto. You will not do either in Vancouver to fly to Toronto as it is a domestic flight. The Customs portion is less complicated in this case, as your bag is checked through. As mentioned before, you will shown a picture(s) of the luggage associated with you, and asked some questions about it.