What excursions have you done?

iwannacruz

Family of 4 adults going on the Danube Waltz- Viking river cruise, Dec 14-21. We will be starting in Budapest, then Bratislavia, Vienna, Melk, Linz and end in Passau.

We plan on doing all the excursions that are included but are wondering if the ones not included are worth the money.

What are your thoughts on the Godollo Royal Palace and Gardens, Mozart and Strauss Concert, Lipizzaner Stallions or Bavarain Farm and Countryside?

Any ideas about what to do in any of these cities would be greatly appreciated. We are open to doing things on our own- we've done this before in Europe- and we are open to taking tours not associated with the river cruise line.

We were also on the Romantic Danube - Viking a few weeks ago. Very nice trip - all Viking excursions were well done. Our strategy was to do all the included tours and not a lot of extra tours, and that worked well. The included tours were perfect - not too long typically leaving you with the afternoon to do on your own. In both Vienna and Budapest we left the tour guide (after telling them) towards the end to stay downtown (Vienna) or stay at St. Stephens Castle (Budapest) and returned to the ship ourselves. From St. Stephens a pleasant walk downhill back to the ship area.

In Vienna ships don't dock close to downtown so you have to take a short subway trip back to the ship. Actually in Vienna we signed up for the included subway trip rather than the included bus trip - subway allowed for more walking which we wanted. This was a last minute add to the excursion list I believe. After the morning included tour in Vienna - we went on our own to Schonbrunn Palace. It requires a subway ride out there. We walked through the beautiful gardens in the back of the palace. The gardens are very large - basically a huge park - very nice.

We went on the Mozart and Strauss Concert excursion in Vienna. I know I am in the minority here, but we were disappointed. I was expecting a grand concert hall and a large symphony. I didn't realize this was a special showing for Viking guests only. It was a very small stage, small venue, and a chamber orchestra (about 8 musicians). Although the musicians were very good - the show added some comedy skits and dancing skits, etc. I think the music should have stood on its own - reminded me too much of a cruise ship variety show on a big ship.

I would also suggest skipping any excursion to the Grand Market in Budapest. This is easily done on your own (and free). A very easy and pleasant walk from where your ship docks in Budapest. I would have been disappointed if I had spent a lot of money on that excursion.

After our included excursion in Passau, we hiked up to the Oberhaus. It is about a 25 minute hike up the trails to get there rather than waiting for the shuttle bus (every 45 minutes). The views were very nice up there, and there was a very nice restaurant. We enjoyed walking around the fort's outdoor grounds more than the indoor museum (however the museum was only 5 Euro.)

I hope you enjoy your trip - we did....

We were on the danube waltz last september - we did most of the included tours and only a few optional. Agree with CCJack on the Grand Market - easily do able on your own. We did the Hungarian Horseman excursion - a bit cheesy but the riding demonstrations were very impressive and it was a nice afternoon in the countryside.

I will mention that we had friends who did the Bavarian farm visit - was not quite what they expected.

Turns out it was a german pig farm (and slaughterhouse). Well respected small family run operation with high quality products... although evidently there were some on the tour who evidently did not know where bacon from came and became visibly upset after seeing the piglets and then realized what was in the cooler. They headed to the bus and stayed on it.