Emerald Docking Area in Budapest

canagal

Looking for some info on where Emerald docks in Budapest, from recent cruisers. As we will be transferred from our hotel to the ship for noon, we have remainder of day to explore. Have heard they are on the Buda side, and a bit of a walk to get to Pest side. Would like to get to the Great Market Hall, would grabbing a cab be best or how long to walk there and back? Would be on a Saturday. Thanks in advance for any info.....looking forward to our cruise, and hoping for some rain ;)

Looking for some info on where Emerald docks in Budapest, from recent cruisers. As we will be transferred from our hotel to the ship for noon, we have remainder of day to explore. Have heard they are on the Buda side, and a bit of a walk to get to Pest side. Would like to get to the Great Market Hall, would grabbing a cab be best or how long to walk there and back? Would be on a Saturday. Thanks in advance for any info.....looking forward to our cruise, and hoping for some rain ;)

You will board at the mooring point directly opposite the parliament building. Use the very efficient and cheap tram system to access the area you refer to. The reception desk/cruise director will give you directions to the close by tram stops etc. If you are a “ pensioner” the tram/public transport systems are free but you will need a form of ID, driving licence for example, to prove entitlement.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Final docking spaces are usually not decided until a few weeks before. But, your travel documents will have the phone number of the boat in them - and you can always call and ask where their docking location is. You could always send your luggage along , and meet up with the boat later.

Depending on the hotel, the Market Hall is quite walkable.

Fran

Thank you to the 2 posters, good information! Is pensioner age 60 or 65?

We are at the Cortyard Marriott, booked through Emerald. Was wondering if they would take luggage and let us get to boat later.

Will check out tram routes

I just googled your hotel - you are under 2 km to the Market.

The market opens early (6 am) - one option would be to go there in the early morning, then you could be back at your hotel before noon. If the hotel was booked through Emerald, I am sure you could check out and ask them to take your luggage, and you would get to the boat on your own.

If you go the market, it is a quick walk across the bridge to the Church in the Cave (if you want to see that...).

Fran

AndrewShooter, I have heard that before (65+ ride free) but I have always wondered as to whether that applies to non-EU citizens. From the website of the public transport authority (bkk.hu), these are the types of people who can ride for free at 65+ (and the approprate documentation you must carry to prove your eligibility):

-Citizens of Hungary or other EU, EEA Member States or Switzerland, aged 65+ (with Identity card or any other personal identification document)

-Foreign citizens aged 65+
who get retirement pension from the Hungarian Pension Fund
(with Certification of the Pension Fund and any other personal identification document)

-Foreign citizens
with Hungarian nationality
aged 65+ and their relatives aged 65+ on the basis of Act LXII/2001 on Hungarians Living in Neighbouring Countries (with Personalised “Magyar igazolvány“, and “Magyar hozzátartozói igazolvány“)

settled in Hungary
on the basis of a special international agreement (with Identity card or any other personal identification document)

-Refugees 65+, persons settled in Hungary and persons who have the freedom of movement and residence not based on citizenship (with any personal identification document and any document certifying legal status.)

My interpretation of that would be that a US or Canadian tourist 65+ isn't entitled to a free ride unless you have Hungarian ancestry AND you have the official documents to prove that. Or if you meet one of the other criteria, such as dual citizenship with an EU member country and you're carrying that passport. Do you have other information about this? I'm not in that demographic yet but just curious.

OP, if you are docking where Andrew described, it's at Betthayány Ter I think? That's a fair amount upriver, and on the opposite side from the Great Market. You can catch a tram running southward and get off at Gellert Ter, then walk across the bridge to the market. Should be easy, and the views from the bridge are pretty. If you want to walk even less you could probably catch another tram across the bridge.

AndrewShooter, I have heard that before (65+ ride free) but I have always wondered as to whether that applies to non-EU citizens. From the website of the public transport authority (bkk.hu), these are the types of people who can ride for free at 65+ (and the approprate documentation you must carry to prove your eligibility):

-Citizens of Hungary or other EU, EEA Member States or Switzerland, aged 65+ (with Identity card or any other personal identification document)

who get retirement pension from the Hungarian Pension Fund
(with Certification of the Pension Fund and any other personal identification document)

-Foreign citizens
with Hungarian nationality
aged 65+ and their relatives aged 65+ on the basis of Act LXII/2001 on Hungarians Living in Neighbouring Countries (with Personalised “Magyar igazolvány“, and “Magyar hozzátartozói igazolvány“)

settled in Hungary
on the basis of a special international agreement (with Identity card or any other personal identification document)

-Refugees 65+, persons settled in Hungary and persons who have the freedom of movement and residence not based on citizenship (with any personal identification document and any document certifying legal status.)

My interpretation of that would be that a US or Canadian tourist 65+ isn't entitled to a free ride unless you have Hungarian ancestry AND you have the official documents to prove that. Or if you meet one of the other criteria, such as dual citizenship with an EU member country and you're carrying that passport. Do you have other information about this? I'm not in that demographic yet but just curious.

OP, if you are docking where Andrew described, it's at Betthayány Ter I think? That's a fair amount upriver, and on the opposite side from the Great Market. You can catch a tram running southward and get off at Gellert Ter, then walk across the bridge to the market. Should be easy, and the views from the bridge are pretty. If you want to walk even less you could probably catch another tram across the bridge.

On my recent trip the Cruise Director informed all on board, including the USA and other non European nationals, they were entitled to the free public transport at pensionable age. We all took this to be age 65. I totally respect the advice of your Hungarian State regulations and my only input is that related to Emerald Rep advice. He did also state tram charges were so reasonable anyway, that full holiday participation in Bar or Restaurant activities would not be impeded! 🥂[emoji502][emoji106] Regards & enjoy......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the reply, AndrewShooter. I wonder if it is an instance where the "official" policy is overlooked and in reality, they let it slide for anyone over 65?

I will say that I never saw a ticket inspector in the trams, during the three days we were in Budapest. I did see them at nearly every entrance to the Metro, however. They would not let you in if you didn't have a ticket. So I bet you'd find out the "real" policy very quickly if you tried to use the Metro.

You are certainly correct about the cost - it's pretty cheap to use public transport there. A 3-day unlimited use ticket costs less than $15. A group of up to 5 people traveling together can get a group ticket for about $11 per day. Total, not each.