Taxi or Transfers (San Juan Airport)

2BTAT2D

Just booked our 2nd Royal Caribbean cruise for the week of June 25th out of San Juan - 7 night Southern Caribbean on Adventure of the Seas. My question is around getting from the airport to dock (arrival) - dock to airport (return). My travel agent suggested we just take a taxi. Can anyone make any suggestions. Is the taxi easier/cheaper?? The transfer cost that Royal Caribbean is charging is $26pp (roundtrip). Thx.

I would definitely take the taxi. I don't remember the cost but I believe it would have worked out less than the transfers. The convenience of the taxi outweighed everything else. We took the transfer on our return to the airport and had to wait a long time for the bus to fill up and then for the luggage truck to fill. We thought we were going to miss our flight.

If you decide to take a taxi, be sure that you see the dispatcher outside the baggage claim area. He schedules all taxi fares.

Yes, do what Truffles said. There are Tourists Zones in PR that have a flat rate rather than the meter. The rates have recently changed slightly. The PR site doesn't show the rate to the Pan Am pier yet but from the airport to the piers in OSJ is $19 plus 50 cents each for the first three bags and a dollar per bag over three.

Some other rates from the airport plus the baggage charge are $10 to Isla Verde, $14 to Condado/Miramar.

Saves a couple of bucks over the transfers for two people plus no waits waiting for the bus to fill.

We have always taken a taxi from the airport to the pier. I think it is somewhere around $20.00 flat rate. After you have collected your luggage, to outside to the taxi stand. They will give you a voucher after you have paid them, and call the taxi for you.

It is virtually painless and far less expensive than going through the cruise line.

So how does the taxi thing work in reverse? Is there a taxi stand at the pier or should we arrange for one to pick us up when we return?

Thx CheezysAngel for this question. I was about to get on and ask the same question myself. Probably would be an abundance of taxi's at the airport, but what about the return. Are the taxi's lined up at the dock/pier for our return back to the airport?

Thx CheezysAngel for this question. I was about to get on and ask the same question myself. Probably would be an abundance of taxi's at the airport, but what about the return. Are the taxi's lined up at the dock/pier for our return back to the airport?

There are taxicabs everywhere in San Juan.

When I walked out of our hotel, bags in hand, there were a couple cabs parked in front of the hotel (Normandie Hotel which is kind of out of the way). Driver approached me, said: "Taxi? Old San Juan?" I said, "has Serenade docked yet?" He said, "Oh yes, she got in at 6 this morning, Pan American pier." They know when and where all the cruise ships are and where the people wanting to go to the cruise ships are. Cabs are not a problem in San Juan.

Yes, do what Truffles said. There are Tourists Zones in PR that have a flat rate rather than the meter. The rates have recently changed slightly. The PR site doesn't show the rate to the Pan Am pier yet but from the airport to the piers in OSJ is $19 plus 50 cents each for the first three bags and a dollar per bag over three.

Some other rates from the airport plus the baggage charge are $10 to Isla Verde, $14 to Condado/Miramar.

Saves a couple of bucks over the transfers for two people plus no waits waiting for the bus to fill.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is this per person or for the whole cab? For example, if 2 people are going from the airport to Isla Verde would it be $10 or $20? Thanks. :)

We left out of San Juan last April doing the S. Caribbean and we took the taxi and didn't have one bit of trouble. It is cheaper and you get where you are going faster. When you get off your plane at the airport you can go and get in line for a taxi (sometimes the line is sort of long but no longer than waiting on a bus) and you tell the person at the little desk where you need to go and you agree on a price before ever leaving. When you get off the ship at the end of the cruise to come home there are taxi drivers waiting at the port. Simple as that. They even load/unload your bags for you.

Normally I am 1 of the 1st to say take a cab b/c it's cheaper: ~~ $20 for the cab from SJU to the pier vs. $26 pp for the transfer.

However, if you are flying in on a Sunday, the most crowded conjested day at SJU -- simply to avoid having to stand in that long hot taxi kiosk line, for the extra money it might be nice to get your luggage & sit in an air conditioned bus.

We always take a taxi. Go to the taxi co-ordinator who will tell you the price and she/he will give you two pieces of paper. One goes to the taxi driver so he/she charges you according to the paper. One note, if you have a lot of luggage, there is an extra fee. The co-ordinator asks how many pieces of luggage you have. Carryon's don't count, just regular suitcases.

There is also a co-ordinator when you get off the ship. Makes it very easy to get a cab.

Enjoy your cruise.

I have never had a problem getting a cab from the pier to the airport. As a matter of fact, you save money since a cab is flat rate and the vouchers are per person. The taxi will also get you to the airport faster, since you have to wait for the bus to fill up before leaving for the airport (one time we waited almost an hour for the bus to leave). I always tell my customers to take a taxi.

Take the taxi, tranfers are sometimes late and you have to wait for everyone to board the bus ..

go with a pvt taxi that will just take your party to the destination you need going to the port and back .. inexpensive .. the most it will cost you is $20 and save you alot of time ..

enjoy ..

we are going on the AOS for the third time in April.. you will love it!

Archived