QE2 in New York today

brooklynphil

good news Phil... tell you what send it on down to FL.. we are sitting on the dock at Port Everglades with all our luggage waiting for the 11th to get here..booked Princess grill for the full ride...not rich... not lucky...just damned good lookin !!

It was an unusually warm sunny day here in NYC today! QE2 looked beautiful! Alas I did the NY- LA portion of the World Cruise 3 years ago - it was very cold & actually snowed as we headed down the Hudson River....either way - wish I was onher today...I'm hoping to do the WC next year......I just heard her horn(18:25 NY time)....she's on her way!

I wish I had known this in advance. I have been piddling around Manhattan all day and would have gone over to see her. I'm at 32nd and Broadway right now so I fear I would not make it over to the river in time to see her go. Bummer!!!

It'll be back in late April.

Well, some of the passengers will be (on QM2), but sadly the ship won't be coming back to NYC until 19 September, when she will call in Brooklyn... And then that will be her last call until 8 January 2007.

Next year the grand lady will actually complete her world cruise in New York in April, unlike the past two years when round-trip NYC passengers have had to decamp to QM2 in Southampton for the last six days of their cruise.

Today was probably her vary last call at the old West Side piers. She has called at these piers more times than at any other port in the world, even Southampton. So it really is the end of an era.

She looked utterly majestic and I was a bit heartbroken to be disembarking and not re-embarking again for the next segment! Next year I would love to stay on from Southampton to LA but that is just a pipe dream. (A full cruise is even more of a pipe dream!)

Archived