Fun Times on the Dawn - Just got back - Quick Review!

michelle028

NCL Dawn Review

Just got off the Dawn yesterday. Travelled with my parents,my sister and my 82 year old grandma (it was her first cruise!) As a family we have been on over 10 cruises with various cruiselines (Celebrity, RCI, Carnival and Princess) .

We drove from Toronto to Boston and stayed in Holiday Inn Express Waltham – just outside of Boston. It was way cheaper than staying right in the heart of Boston. It took us about 9 hours to get there.

We boarded the Dawn around noon on Friday. The lunch buffet was delicious and rooms were ready around 2:00pm. The crowd was mostly American from the Eastern states but there were a few Canadians like our family.

I did a lot of research prior to the cruise – it was our first time to Bermuda and first time being docked overnight in one port. Such a different experience having extra time in one place – you do not feel as rushed. But at the same time, I would not have minded an extra day to explore! Bermuda was a beautiful island but very expensive!

Ship:

Ship was beautifully maintained! The staff were amazing so friendly and kind.They all smiled and were always were nice to us. Their favourite saying were “we want to make you happy” and “let us know what we can do!”

We booked 2 inside cabins to save money (back in Feb)...but when I got the “Bid for an upgrade email” I thought I would try to it just to see. So I bid $80 per person for Oceanview and 2 days before sailing I got the upgrade! It worked out because it was right across from my parents inside cabin! We were very lucky!

Food:

We ate all our breakfasts in the MDR and service was great.

Tip:When you want omelets or scrambled eggs ask the waiter to make your eggs with “Fresh eggs” otherwise they use the packaged stuff!

Lunches: We ate at the Garden Cafe buffet everyday and we really enjoyed it. I think there was enough variety to suit everyone. Everyday they had a different type of cobbler for dessert – (apple, peach, berry you name it) but they also had other types of desserts too including sugar free options.

For dinners – we ate twice at Bamboo (free Asian) restaurant.As soon as we got on board we booked it. The rest of the dinners we ate at Venetian twice and Aqua the rest of the time. We liked Aqua better because the service seemed faster for some reason. We enjoyed the dinners in the MDR and we always ordered extra items to taste – such as an extra appetizer or main dish to share among us. We didn’t feel like spending extra money on the “for fee”restaurants onboard.

When there were sea days – they always had free liquor tastings in the Duty free shops in the evening so keep an eye out for that! on the last sea day they have the $10 sale for scarves/handbags etc and two for $20 Bermuda t-shirts.

The pool band “Flavours” were fabulous! My grandma and I loved to dance to all the Caribbean music and they honoured all our musical requests.

Entertainment and Shows: This is where I think NCL can do a better job. Some nights there was only 1 show but other nights there were repeats of the same show in one evening which worked out better for us. We loved the ”Elements” show do not miss that! And the comedian was ok, his name was “Tony Daro” and he had an adult comedy night on the last night of the cruise. But I would have liked to see at least 2 different comedians during 1 week cruise.

Other than the main shows – my parents enjoyed the various bands especially the piano bar musician who played all oldies and people sang with him (Gatsby Bar). Even though they had a separate room right next to the Gatsby bar for the cigarette smokers I found it difficult to sit with my parents because I still could smell the smoke coming through.

They also had dance classes on the Sea days which was fun in the mornings in the Bliss lounge.

On the last day they have a Q and A with the Senior officers so we really enjoyed that even though we have been on many cruises. Always find it interesting!

Bermuda:

Beautiful island but super expensive! People were friendly especially in the Dockyard and they will help you get where you need to be!

Sunday: We arrived at 1pm. First day we went to Horseshoe Bay – paid $7 each way through mini van taxis. They drop you right to the beach. I heard through another passenger they paid $48 through the cruiseline for the same thing! So don’t do it!

Monday: In the morning we woke up early and took the free NCL ferry to St. George. The first one was at 9am. Get there early – people started lining up for the ferry as early as 8:30am. When we arrived, we took a taxi it was $35 for 5 of us to Tobacco Bay. We really enjoyed the beach –the water was like a warm pool!

Note: The cruiseline will give you the schedule for the free ferry the night before. (TIP:The free ferry does not run on Sundays when you arrive – but I think you cantake the public ferry.)

We left St Georges at noon and went back to the ship,changed, and then took a public ferry ($4.50pp each way) to Hamilton. We spent about 2 hours there and then took the ferry back to the ship. It was very hot. Note:In Hamilton, stores close between 5:00 -6:00pm on a weekday so if you want to shop go earlier.

Tuesday: We loved Horseshoe Bay so we went there again. Tip: If you want to save some money – we brought our own camping chairs (the fold up kind – we brought 2 of them) and a mini tent.Since we were driving we were able to pack them easily and take them on public transportation to the beach. You can also take #7 bus from the Dockyard to the beach as well and pay $4.50pp. But they don't drop you right beside the entry point for the beach. You have to walk down.

Also if you have little kids as you walk towards the beach, look to your right there is a very shallow bay area that is very calm and no waves. Perfect for little ones.

Debarkation: This one was absolutely chaotic. The ship got delayed into the Boston port. We got up early to get ready to leave but then we all got a notice (for non-US citizens) to go to Aqua restaurant to see a customs officer. That was fine but then we were waiting there for 1 hour until we got to see someone. Then we went up, had breakfast, went back to the room and got our luggage and there were long lines to exit the ship.

We got off the elevators, then we were standing in a winding line through a restaurant and then outside on the deck, then back inside and then out again to finally check out! It was beyond ridiculous. It took us another hour just to get out of the ship!

Overall it was a fun cruise – and one day I would like to do it again! So hope this mini-review helps...Happy Cruising Everyone!

Edited by michelle028
to add one more points

Any further information about the disembarking delay ?

Something to do with longshoremen tying the ship up at the dock ?

CBI delayed arriving to do their job or not enough agents to do that job ?

Were US residents allowed to disembark without delay (probably can't

answer that question) ?

Boston is one of those ports with the airport just minutes away and the

6 hour flight recommendation can be tossed - but throw a glitch like one

of the above scenarios and there maybe lots of empty seats on those

flights that could be made easily.

About what time did you actually disembark - ordinarily after 8am the

guests start the walk-off - what was your time ?

Thanks for the report of your recent travels - 5 weeks away from my

B2B Boston Quebec Boston cruise - arriving two days early for the

first leg and the 2nd leg will be down to the wire disembarking for the

trip home.

We were on this cruise also. We were told that self assist would start at 8:00. People lined up early and at 8:15 we could see people crossing the gangplank so we got in line. It was a long winding line but we were off the ship at 8:45.

Disembarkation was a lengthy process for us too when we left on 8/24. We stood in line for about an hour before we were finally off the ship. I am not sure why it is such an issue for the Dawn as we had the same problem in 2013. When we disembarked from the Pearl in Seattle in 2016 it was quick and easy. We did easy walk off.

NCL Dawn Review

Just got off the Dawn yesterday. Travelled with my parents,my sister and my 82 year old grandma (it was her first cruise!) As a family we have been on over 10 cruises with various cruiselines (Celebrity, RCI, Carnival and Princess) .

We drove from Toronto to Boston and stayed in Holiday Inn Express Waltham – just outside of Boston. It was way cheaper than staying right in the heart of Boston. It took us about 9 hours to get there.

We boarded the Dawn around noon on Friday. The lunch buffet was delicious and rooms were ready around 2:00pm. The crowd was mostly American from the Eastern states but there were a few Canadians like our family.

I did a lot of research prior to the cruise – it was our first time to Bermuda and first time being docked overnight in one port. Such a different experience having extra time in one place – you do not feel as rushed. But at the same time, I would not have minded an extra day to explore! Bermuda was a beautiful island but very expensive!

Ship:

Ship was beautifully maintained! The staff were amazing so friendly and kind.They all smiled and were always were nice to us. Their favourite saying were “we want to make you happy” and “let us know what we can do!”

We booked 2 inside cabins to save money (back in Feb)...but when I got the “Bid for an upgrade email” I thought I would try to it just to see. So I bid $80 per person for Oceanview and 2 days before sailing I got the upgrade! It worked out because it was right across from my parents inside cabin! We were very lucky!

Food:

We ate all our breakfasts in the MDR and service was great.

Tip:When you want omelets or scrambled eggs ask the waiter to make your eggs with “Fresh eggs” otherwise they use the packaged stuff!

Lunches: We ate at the Garden Cafe buffet everyday and we really enjoyed it. I think there was enough variety to suit everyone. Everyday they had a different type of cobbler for dessert – (apple, peach, berry you name it) but they also had other types of desserts too including sugar free options.

For dinners – we ate twice at Bamboo (free Asian) restaurant.As soon as we got on board we booked it. The rest of the dinners we ate at Venetian twice and Aqua the rest of the time. We liked Aqua better because the service seemed faster for some reason. We enjoyed the dinners in the MDR and we always ordered extra items to taste – such as an extra appetizer or main dish to share among us. We didn’t feel like spending extra money on the “for fee”restaurants onboard.

When there were sea days – they always had free liquor tastings in the Duty free shops in the evening so keep an eye out for that! on the last sea day they have the $10 sale for scarves/handbags etc and two for $20 Bermuda t-shirts.

The pool band “Flavours” were fabulous! My grandma and I loved to dance to all the Caribbean music and they honoured all our musical requests.

Entertainment and Shows: This is where I think NCL can do a better job. Some nights there was only 1 show but other nights there were repeats of the same show in one evening which worked out better for us. We loved the ”Elements” show do not miss that! And the comedian was ok, his name was “Tony Daro” and he had an adult comedy night on the last night of the cruise. But I would have liked to see at least 2 different comedians during 1 week cruise.

Other than the main shows – my parents enjoyed the various bands especially the piano bar musician who played all oldies and people sang with him (Gatsby Bar). Even though they had a separate room right next to the Gatsby bar for the cigarette smokers I found it difficult to sit with my parents because I still could smell the smoke coming through.

They also had dance classes on the Sea days which was fun in the mornings in the Bliss lounge.

On the last day they have a Q and A with the Senior officers so we really enjoyed that even though we have been on many cruises. Always find it interesting!

Bermuda:

Beautiful island but super expensive! People were friendly especially in the Dockyard and they will help you get where you need to be!

Sunday: We arrived at 1pm. First day we went to Horseshoe Bay – paid $7 each way through mini van taxis. They drop you right to the beach. I heard through another passenger they paid $48 through the cruiseline for the same thing! So don’t do it!

Monday: In the morning we woke up early and took the free NCL ferry to St. George. The first one was at 9am. Get there early – people started lining up for the ferry as early as 8:30am. When we arrived, we took a taxi it was $35 for 5 of us to Tobacco Bay. We really enjoyed the beach –the water was like a warm pool!

Note: The cruiseline will give you the schedule for the free ferry the night before. (TIP:The free ferry does not run on Sundays when you arrive – but I think you cantake the public ferry.)

We left St Georges at noon and went back to the ship,changed, and then took a public ferry ($4.50pp each way) to Hamilton. We spent about 2 hours there and then took the ferry back to the ship. It was very hot. Note:In Hamilton, stores close between 5:00 -6:00pm on a weekday so if you want to shop go earlier.

Tuesday: We loved Horseshoe Bay so we went there again. Tip: If you want to save some money – we brought our own camping chairs (the fold up kind – we brought 2 of them) and a mini tent.Since we were driving we were able to pack them easily and take them on public transportation to the beach. You can also take #7 bus from the Dockyard to the beach as well and pay $4.50pp. But they don't drop you right beside the entry point for the beach. You have to walk down.

Also if you have little kids as you walk towards the beach, look to your right there is a very shallow bay area that is very calm and no waves. Perfect for little ones.

Debarkation: This one was absolutely chaotic. The ship got delayed into the Boston port. We got up early to get ready to leave but then we all got a notice (for non-US citizens) to go to Aqua restaurant to see a customs officer. That was fine but then we were waiting there for 1 hour until we got to see someone. Then we went up, had breakfast, went back to the room and got our luggage and there were long lines to exit the ship.

We got off the elevators, then we were standing in a winding line through a restaurant and then outside on the deck, then back inside and then out again to finally check out! It was beyond ridiculous. It took us another hour just to get out of the ship!

Overall it was a fun cruise – and one day I would like to do it again! So hope this mini-review helps...Happy Cruising Everyone!

Thanks for a great review and you answered many questions I am sure others have. We did the same cruise in May. I agree, Bermuda is beautiful but expensive. We did find a gift shop with decent prices on polo shirts. both hubby and I got one and you might know: I spelled something on mine the second time I wore it. It in now gone to the clothes heaven as the stain did not come out.

I will say, I was a bit surprised you were a tiny bit disappointed with the nightly entertainment. Many think that is one of NCLs strong points. For us, we rarely do the nightly shows anymore so have no opinion. Like your parents we do love Gatsbys and spent several nights enjoying a after dinner drink and listening to the music. We are about your grandma's age. I did get a bit annoyed with some of the guests listening or pretended to be listening to the entertainment. They spent more time yacking with others than listening.

We were on the same cruise. Had a great time. We loved the entertainment throughout the ship, especially Flavors at the pool deck. The line to disembark was long but it moved quickly. We got in line around 8:20 and were off by 9. I'm not sure what time the boat was scheduled to dock but it was there at least by 7am maybe earlier.