Child Fares 2020 - Pleasantly Surprised

DamianG

My travel agent advised that child fares are now a flat amount £599 and are also still eligible for past cruise and TA discounts. This makes a huge difference to us having paid £1633 for our son this year and being due to pay £1473 for him next year (both cruises in August).

I honestly expected to have to pay a lot more for our 2020 booking but we have now pre-registered for a late July cruise on Britannia and the saving has meant that our budget can now stretch to a suite (as a one-off treat) for only £200 more than we paid for this year's cruise. We're not generally fans of these huge ships but that is what we are stuck with so to have a suite will make a big difference to us (especially as our son chooses not to use the kids' clubs).

We are P&O fans but not blind to their failings and all the detrimental changes so this is a very pleasant and welcome surprise.

On a separate note thanks for all the postings and guidance about suites which really helped us choose. In particular Selbourne as I read your considered opinion on D deck forward suites and have put in a request for similar accordingly. We usually prefer to be aft but I'm starting to think a forward suite will suite us even more (and if it doesn't then at least we've tried it for ourselves).

Cheers

Damian

My travel agent advised that child fares are now a flat amount £599 and are also still eligible for past cruise and TA discounts. This makes a huge difference to us having paid £1633 for our son this year and being due to pay £1473 for him next year (both cruises in August).

I honestly expected to have to pay a lot more for our 2020 booking but we have now pre-registered for a late July cruise on Britannia and the saving has meant that our budget can now stretch to a suite (as a one-off treat) for only £200 more than we paid for this year's cruise. We're not generally fans of these huge ships but that is what we are stuck with so to have a suite will make a big difference to us (especially as our son chooses not to use the kids' clubs).

We are P&O fans but not blind to their failings and all the detrimental changes so this is a very pleasant and welcome surprise.

On a separate note thanks for all the postings and guidance about suites which really helped us choose. In particular Selbourne as I read your considered opinion on D deck forward suites and have put in a request for similar accordingly. We usually prefer to be aft but I'm starting to think a forward suite will suite us even more (and if it doesn't then at least we've tried it for ourselves).

Cheers

Damian

Happy to help! Although the balcony is poor compared to the aft suites, you are soot free (!) and can enjoy the fantastic panoramic forward facing window from bed. There's also room to create your own private Crows Nest. Having a Suite is great on Britannia as, in addition to priority boarding, you can enjoy the fantastic Epicurean for breakfast. All of this is invaluable on a busy family ship. Wise choice. Enjoy!

Happy to help! Although the balcony is poor compared to the aft suites, you are soot free (!) and can enjoy the fantastic panoramic forward facing window from bed. There's also room to create your own private Crows Nest. Having a Suite is great on Britannia as, in addition to priority boarding, you can enjoy the fantastic Epicurean for breakfast. All of this is invaluable on a busy family ship. Wise choice. Enjoy!

We don't use the balcony a huge amount (sail ins and sail aways mostly), prefer the shade and tend to use the MDR for breakfast rather than the self-serve option at Horizon so being able to use the Epicurian really appeals! It all sounds wonderful and your comments could have been written with us in mind! Nice, big OBC as well!

Thanks again.

Damian

We don't use the balcony a huge amount (sail ins and sail aways mostly), prefer the shade and tend to use the MDR for breakfast rather than the self-serve option at Horizon so being able to use the Epicurian really appeals! It all sounds wonderful and your comments could have been written with us in mind! Nice, big OBC as well!

Thanks again.

Damian

Yes, it sounds as though you are very like us and having done forward and aft suites on Britannia we would only go forward in future.

You did well getting a good level of OBC. I've booked cruises on Aurora and Iona this morning and the OBC was the lowest I've had in years (also booking at launch). That was for balcony cabins though. Can't help but feel that the auto service charge is being offset by lower OBC.

Yes, it sounds as though you are very like us and having done forward and aft suites on Britannia we would only go forward in future.

You did well getting a good level of OBC. I've booked cruises on Aurora and Iona this morning and the OBC was the lowest I've had in years (also booking at launch). That was for balcony cabins though. Can't help but feel that the auto service charge is being offset by lower OBC.

OBC is £290, I've no idea how that compares to suite bookings previously but for us it is the most we've ever had and will go a long way.

Cheers

Damian

Is that £599 whatever age? And whatever length or just a week?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cruise we have registered for is 2 weeks and our son will be 9 when we sail. Unfortunately I can only pass on what the TA told me so I don't know the age limits.

All the best.

Damian

I think it is £399 for a week and £599 for 2 weeks judging from the quotes we had.

The quotes ended up being £359 and £539 due to the 10% pat passenger discount being applied at the moment so a very good deal. We booked a better grade than normal as the price per person comes down.

OBC seems to be an either or situation at the moment and sometimes seems bonkers, e.g. superior deluxe cabin - 2 weeks Britannia £140 OBC or car parking, Suite £290 OBC or car parking so the suite person loses out unless they take the OBC and sort out the car parking themselves.

I think it is £399 for a week and £599 for 2 weeks judging from the quotes we had.

The quotes ended up being £359 and £539 due to the 10% pat passenger discount being applied at the moment so a very good deal. We booked a better grade than normal as the price per person comes down.

OBC seems to be an either or situation at the moment and sometimes seems bonkers, e.g. superior deluxe cabin - 2 weeks Britannia £140 OBC or car parking, Suite £290 OBC or car parking so the suite person loses out unless they take the OBC and sort out the car parking themselves.

Sounds about right to me! I called and I worked it out as £354 for a week with 10% discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums