Question for South Florida Residents

rgmacm

Florida Turnpike Question:

We're considering coming to Ft Lauderdale two days pre-cruise, renting a car and driving down to the Everglades NP.

• Is there a route to get there that would eliminate the toll road while still being a decent route to take? (yes, I've googled and found 'roads' but wondering if they're lots of traffic lights/stop-go, etc... In other words, would they be more hassle than they're worth?)

After seeing the route, I then researched the Toll Road System/Sunpass (just in case it WAS going to be the best plan...) :)

• Looking at the Sunpass website, I've figured the toll to be somewhere around $5 from FLL to Homestead - (have I done that right btw??) That's not bad (as toll roads go...haha) BUT....are the booths from FLL to Homestead 'manned' so we can pay that...or do we need to be sure to have a lot of change in a large variety of coins...to be able to pay any amount needed? Though we could do that, it would not be my preference... (I should probably mention that I've been 'traumatized' by toll roads in port cities before ) bwahaha :p
  • I then saw that you can get a SunPass for rental cars so I checked into that option...but they asked for a car lic. plate.... which is impossible to give them on a rental car I don't yet have. haha! I don't think I can get one without that info....

Yes, I've tried to gather my own information. (so please, no reaming....) It's just gotten a little confusing...and I DON'T want a repeat of our last experience... :rolleyes: Can any S. Florida residents enlighten me here?

Thanks

Edited by rgmacm

I can't answer about the route from Fort Lauderdale to Everglades NP, but I can answer about the SunPass system.

For much of the Florida Turnpike they've done away with manned booths or even coin booths, now it's toll-by-plate. So if you don't have a transponder they send you a bill after the fact.

The way this works with rental cars is that they send it to the rental car company and then the rental car company bills you. But some rental cars do also have transponders in them, or transponders that you can rent.

And looking at Everglades NP, why drive all the way down to Homestead when you can enter at the Miami gate?

You are renting a car, right? Every single one offers the ability to manage tolls for you. Generally, it's automatic. You drive through a toll, they take care of it and bill you for the toll. Drive wherever. Done. Go have fun.

We're considering coming to Ft Lauderdale two days pre-cruise, renting a car and driving down to the Everglades NP.

• Is there a route to get there that would eliminate the toll road while still being a decent route to take? (yes, I've googled and found 'roads' but wondering if they're lots of traffic lights/stop-go, etc... In other words, would they be more hassle than they're worth?)

Trying to get around Dade county and totally avoid toll roads is like getting a root canal ...... 12 year Miami resident's opinion

After seeing the route, I then researched the Toll Road System/Sunpass (just in case it WAS going to be the best plan...) :)

• Looking at the Sunpass website, I've figured the toll to be somewhere around $5 from FLL to Homestead - (have I done that right btw??) That's not bad (as toll roads go...haha) BUT....are the booths from FLL to Homestead 'manned' so we can pay that...or do we need to be sure to have a lot of change in a large variety of coins...to be able to pay any amount needed? Though we could do that, it would not be my preference... (I should probably mention that I've been 'traumatized' by toll roads in port cities before ) bwahaha :p

Once you cross into Dade County tolls become electronic only. If you don't have a SUNPASS the system defaults to 'toll by plate'. For a rental, how this is handled varies WIDELY by company. See https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

IMO Enterprise/National/Alamo have the best 'plan' charging $3.95 per day for ONLY a day where a toll is encountered ... nothing to decide up from. OTOH Thrifty makes you decide up front and pay a fee for every day of the contract whether a toll is encountered or not and a BIG penalty is assessed if you opt out and accidentally accrue a toll ....

• I then saw that you can get a SunPass for rental cars so I checked into that option...but they asked for a car lic. plate.... which is impossible to give them on a rental car I don't yet have. haha! I don't think I can get one without that info....

You can buy a SUNPASS via the web site and have it in hand b4 you arrive. You want the $20 portable version - NOT the $5 sticker. Buy the SUNPASS and just use your home tag# to set up the account. With the portable you can load an APP on your phone whereby when you get to FL and have the rental you add the rental tag# to your account - takes about 1 minute. Put the transponder in the window and away you go. (the sticker can not support more than one vehicle/tag so this won't work and is why you want the portable which IS intended for use by more than one vehicle/tag)

I've had SUNPASS for nearly 20 years now ... I loan it to visitors to use in their rentals frequently ... everything works fine. Sometimes I even rent it to family ....

And looking at Everglades NP, why drive all the way down to Homestead when you can enter at the Miami gate?

I googled the Ernest Coe Visitor Center as that was the one I was familiar with so google gave me the road down by Homestead... After reading your post, I RE-investigated...and see the road you're referring to. :o

Perhaps this is not a question for CRUISE critic...but I'll try asking it here anyway. ;) Do you know the differences between these two routes through the park....If you had to choose one, which one would it be? The northern road would certainly be 'easier'...closer....and avoid tolls I believe.... would it give us just as good a "National Park experience"? The nps.gov website will never give an evaluation like that. haha~

Thanks!

You can buy a SUNPASS via the web site and have it in hand b4 you arrive. You want the $20 portable version - NOT the $5 sticker. Buy the SUNPASS and just use your home tag# to set up the account. With the portable you can load an APP on your phone whereby when you get to FL and have the rental you add the rental tag# to your account - takes about 1 minute. Put the transponder in the window and away you go. (the sticker can not support more than one vehicle/tag so this won't work and is why you want the portable which IS intended for use by more than one vehicle/tag)

I've had SUNPASS for nearly 20 years now ... I loan it to visitors to use in their rentals frequently ... everything works fine. Sometimes I even rent it to family ....

Thank you so much Capt. BJ an BNBR!!! I assume getting that tag # removed after returning the car is just as easy (So we're not paying tolls for the next 3 people to rent that car.) ;)

We're planning another cruise out of Ft Lauderdale for a year AFTER this one...I assume I can just keep that acct to use then too....right? It will just 'sit there' waiting on us to return....??

I :hearteyes:LOVE:hearteyes: C.C....finding this info online is NOT an easy task...and I'm typically pretty good at sleuthing....:D

the sunpass app has you enter a "die" time, but I recommend you do that yourself

which the app supports .....

return the car

hit the app

DONE

got the portable?

Yes it will be good so far as one can predict . . .

Thank you so much Capt. BJ an BNBR!!! I assume getting that tag # removed after returning the car is just as easy (So we're not paying tolls for the next 3 people to rent that car.) ;)

We're planning another cruise out of Ft Lauderdale for a year AFTER this one...I assume I can just keep that acct to use then too....right? It will just 'sit there' waiting on us to return....??

I :hearteyes:LOVE:hearteyes: C.C....finding this info online is NOT an easy task...and I'm typically pretty good at sleuthing....:D

Getting the portable sunpass is a good idea. Just spend the $20, have it mailed to your house and you can use it when visiting Florida. Adding and removing cars online is easy.

You don't want Earnest Coe. You want Shark Valley for the everglades trip. Trust me. That's as much everglades as you'll see. Have fun! But have realistic expectations about what the everglades is. Enjoy the tram or better yet, rent bikes and do the loop on your own.

Not something I would typically recommend on cruise critic. But look up Mack's Fish Camp also.

I googled the Ernest Coe Visitor Center as that was the one I was familiar with so google gave me the road down by Homestead... After reading your post, I RE-investigated...and see the road you're referring to. :o

Perhaps this is not a question for CRUISE critic...but I'll try asking it here anyway. ;) Do you know the differences between these two routes through the park....If you had to choose one, which one would it be? The northern road would certainly be 'easier'...closer....and avoid tolls I believe.... would it give us just as good a "National Park experience"? The nps.gov website will never give an evaluation like that. haha~

Thanks!

We love the Everglades and take all of our winter (too hot, humid and buggy in the summer) there. Basically you can't go wrong with whichever you chose but if this is your only trip to the Everglades, you might prefer Shark Valley since you can stop for an airboat ride along the way.

• Ernest Coe has a very nice visitors center - larger and, we think, more informative than Shark Valley - as you enter the park. After a five minute drive into the park there is the turnoff for Royal Palm (https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/royal-palm.htm). It consists of a boardwalk/path and a hiking trail thru the woods. In the winter birds congregate at the watering holes, you can see fish in the creeks, and alligators come right up onto the boardwalk/path (which is probably one of the reasons the NPS has a Frequently Asked Question "Why isn't that alligator moving, is it dead or fake?") Rangers also give presentations and host walks. One of my favorite reasons to visit Royal Palm as opposed to Shark Valley is that you pass Robert Is Here (www.robertishere.com) in both directions. Their milkshakes and smoothies are incredible!

Whichever you chose, have a wonderful time. The park is truly unique!

Once you cross into Dade County tolls become electronic only. If you don't have a SUNPASS the system defaults to 'toll by plate'. For a rental, how this is handled varies WIDELY by company. See https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

Hi Capt BJ, Is there any chance you could do a screen grab for the toll costs for AVIS rental?

The good people at sunpass won`t let Australians access the website:(

Thank you in advance if this is possible.

Hi Capt BJ, Is there any chance you could do a screen grab for the toll costs for AVIS rental?

The good people at sunpass won`t let Australians access the website:(

Thank you in advance if this is possible.

Avis is easy. You are enrolled automatically. They charge a $3.95 admin fee on any day you use a toll. Plus all tolls for that day. Simply, just drive the car through the tolls and don't worry about it.

note

rental day

versus

usage day

Ah yes, good catch. You will pay $3.95 x how many days you rented the car, not to exceed $19.75. But really, even for $20, you are on vacation and it's a small price to not worry about it. You can just drive the car, tolls or not, and not think about it.