Need feedback from cruisers about Dubai NYE fireworks.

AlohaO

I need feedback from anyone who has seen the Dubai NYE fireworks. I’ve looked at past roll calls and have read what people have planned. But what worked, what didn’t? Is the traffic insane? Should I go to a hotel party? But how do I get back?

Dhow cruise TripAdvisor reviews ( 2013-2015) have been pretty bad.

Would it be simpler to rent a hotel room and stay overnight?

Suggestions??

Hotels are filling up for NYE and I need to make a decision soon.

We were on the UAE to UAE via Oman and India cruise a couple of years ago. Great cruise!

NYE in Dubai:

We have relations on the Palm in Dubai (we're the poor relatives!) and were invited to join them at a restaurant next to the Burj K. This is one of the main places for firework displays.

We declined because so many of the roads would be closed as we returned to the Constellation.

Instead, we stayed on the ship and watched from afar. The display was rather ruined by a sandstorm / fog and we saw just some of the fireworks. It may have been more impressive from that restaurant, I expect.

As we enjoyed an extra drink in Michael's Club (open later than usual) people came in from the shore. They complained about the time & effort to get back to the ship. There were no shuttles.

We both thought that the display in St Ives, Cornwall was far better. However, it may be difficult to get the captain to reroute from the UAE all the way to the UK!

Roads are shut in the afternoon,resturants with the best views are expensive and will fill up quickly,we stayed on board and watched from upper decks,bubbly at midnight and smashing ice numbers by the pool it was a good evening ,we were on Dec 15 the roll call had a lot of info

Thanks RichKath for the photos. You can see more than I thought.

Still considering staying at a hotel.

Does Celebrity provide free champagne on NYE?

Got spoiled last year on the Viking Star.

Been on Holland America for NYE and found a glass or two.

Did NYE on Connie and found the fireworks from the ship disappointing. Unlike the Fourth of July on Summit in Boston where they showed a broadcast on the outdoor screen and you could hear the music, the fireworks in Dubai were at a distance and you could not hear music. The music makes a major difference. Saw another ship from another line move to a better viewing spot. However, the onboard celebration was excellent as was the cruise.

Did NYE on Connie and found the fireworks from the ship disappointing. Unlike the Fourth of July on Summit in Boston where they showed a broadcast on the outdoor screen and you could hear the music, the fireworks in Dubai were at a distance and you could not hear music. The music makes a major difference. Saw another ship from another line move to a better viewing spot. However, the onboard celebration was excellent as was the cruise.

Yes, we were on the same cruise as you, Charles. I recall plenty of our interesting conversations in Michael's Club.

Orator, forgot to ask if anyone on cruise tried to go downtown?

I think last year the Burj K. did a special laser show.

Maybe that was why you could not hear the booming sounds.

As you will have read in my reply to you, some people did head into Dubai and they had an awful journey back to the ship.

We were on the same ship as Orator.