Semi-Live Comparison to RCI from Norwegian Breakaway Northern TA 10/2-10/16

rimmit

Very interesting reading your review.  I find the lack of venues was completely frustrating.  Everything was at the Atrium, with seating for maybe 100, if you pushed it.  I think the RCL had more than one venue to hold events, or maybe my memory is fuzzy.  I remember there being more than one place to meet.  All the open space was taken up with bars.  I've never seen so many bars on any cruise line.    And the "NO SPACE FOR YOU" meme was perfect.  I don't know how many shows we just gave up on.  This is the first cruise that I've just felt frustration at. I've been on RCL, Holland, princess. and I don't remember being frustrated at any of them.  Overall, it was a "good" cruise.  The ports were enjoyable.  Activities were fun.  We got 20 signatures, so we did not do too bad.  But it was a battle.  Sitting on the floor alot of the time, because there were no seats.  And I am 66.   I want to go on another European cruise, but I really am hesitant about this Norwegian experience.

12 minutes ago, ceil01 said:

Very interesting reading your review.  I find the lack of venues was completely frustrating.  Everything was at the Atrium, with seating for maybe 100, if you pushed it.  I think the RCL had more than one venue to hold events, or maybe my memory is fuzzy.  I remember there being more than one place to meet.  All the open space was taken up with bars.  I've never seen so many bars on any cruise line.    And the "NO SPACE FOR YOU" meme was perfect.  I don't know how many shows we just gave up on.  This is the first cruise that I've just felt frustration at. I've been on RCL, Holland, princess. and I don't remember being frustrated at any of them.  Overall, it was a "good" cruise.  The ports were enjoyable.  Activities were fun.  We got 20 signatures, so we did not do too bad.  But it was a battle.  Sitting on the floor alot of the time, because there were no seats.  And I am 66.   I want to go on another European cruise, but I really am hesitant about this Norwegian experience.

I have definitely pulled some bunches in our live blog, as I don't want to be a negative nellie.  It was a vacation.  I wasn't at work.  There was a kids program. I didn't do chores.  However, compared to my typical cruise experience, and I've been on all major american cruise lines, including some no longer in existence, and some non american lines, it was definitely a frustrating experience at times.  The main issue is that there are NO large lounges.  As in NONE.  And some may find it hard to believe that a 140,000 ton cruise ship could lack a large lounge, or multiple large lounges.... but nope. NOT ONE.  Nothing like 270, or the typical lounges on the back of the ship or above the main theater.  All the space on the ship is for revenue purposes, i.e. bars and specialty restaurants.

I agree. It was a "good" cruise.  We finally got the email survey today.  We've been waiting a while for that one, and it got filled out for sure.  

I am at least just 38, and have small kids, so the floor wasn't awful for me, but I can't imagine being a little older having to sit on the floor all the time. 

Either way here is Day #10.

https://thesmallworldfamily.com/2018/10/22/northern-transatlantic-cruise-live-blog-day-10/