Celebrity Discovery Collection: Exclusive Tour Of Italy's Amalfi Coast

leahrotella

Has anyone booked this excursion before? It's on the pricier side, but the idea of having a private car on our honeymoon for our most anticipated port wasn't worth passing up. We'll be able to do Positano, Sorrento, and Pompeii in one day.

The excursion doesn't include lunch. For anyone who has done this, are we able to request a specific restaurant to stop at in Positano? Do you think our driver can call on our behalf to make reservations? Any way of tackling this in advance or we just have to wait for the day we're in port? Is there an excursions phone number/e-mail to contact? Thank you in advance!

Just some advice having done multiple excursions at this port and visited all the sites you mentioned, you are going to spend a lot of time driving on the itinerary and by only going to Positano will be missing out on a lot of the beauty of the Amalfi Coast. I would recommend focusing your day on the Amalfi Coast itself. You could visit Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. We did this last year with a private car and had a fantastic day. It was around 8-9 hours and while it was a bit rushed we got to see a lot. We spent about 90 minutes in Positano with time to wander all the way down to the beach and do some shopping. We had lunch for an hour in Amalfi at a lovely seaside restaurant called Lido Azzurro with some fresh fish and then had about 30 minutes to wander the main square area. And then we had about 2 hours in Ravello which gave us plenty of time to explore the beautiful gardens of Villa Rufalo with its magnificent views out to the sea. Our driver guide was great giving us lots of info on the way and making stops wherever we wanted, and there were a number of those due to amazing views along the Amalfi Coast road. We used RomeInLimo for that day. It cost us 500 Euro for the day plus tip. Not sure how much Celebrity is charging for the private car. Just a suggestion for you. Pompeii is wonderful and Sorrento is nice but trying to cram that all in one day with the Coast is exhausting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just some advice having done multiple excursions at this port and visited all the sites you mentioned, you are going to spend a lot of time driving on the itinerary and by only going to Positano will be missing out on a lot of the beauty of the Amalfi Coast. I would recommend focusing your day on the Amalfi Coast itself. You could visit Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. We did this last year with a private car and had a fantastic day. It was around 8-9 hours and while it was a bit rushed we got to see a lot. We spent about 90 minutes in Positano with time to wander all the way down to the beach and do some shopping. We had lunch for an hour in Amalfi at a lovely seaside restaurant called Lido Azzurro with some fresh fish and then had about 30 minutes to wander the main square area. And then we had about 2 hours in Ravello which gave us plenty of time to explore the beautiful gardens of Villa Rufalo with its magnificent views out to the sea. Our driver guide was great giving us lots of info on the way and making stops wherever we wanted, and there were a number of those due to amazing views along the Amalfi Coast road. We used RomeInLimo for that day. It cost us 500 Euro for the day plus tip. Not sure how much Celebrity is charging for the private car. Just a suggestion for you. Pompeii is wonderful and Sorrento is nice but trying to cram that all in one day with the Coast is exhausting.

Thanks for your response! I do understand where you're coming from but, respectfully, we're not going to change our plans at this time, as we get married in a few days and then it's off on the honeymoon. Interestingly, we actually got this for cheaper than what you mention when Celebrity had a sale. The husband-to-be really wants to do Pompeii. I've been to the Coast before (Sorrento/Capri) and would enjoy going back, so this fit the bill for us. We don't mind the driving... just trying to figure out lunch! Ravello is definitely on my short list for my next time though!

You did not say what the cost is, but instead of booking through Celebrity, try booking with a local guide. Many times, the price will be lower and you can customize what you want to do and see...like lunch.

Go to the coast first and enjoy the sites. Eat lunch before heading to Pompeii. Do Pompeii last as it is closer to the cruise port. There is a cafe at Pompeii that is OK, but I would try for something that is less touristy. You can ask a private guide for a recommendation and he can book the restaurant and time. We enjoy http://www.latagliata.com outside of Positano.

You did not say what the cost is, but instead of booking through Celebrity, try booking with a local guide. Many times, the price will be lower and you can customize what you want to do and see...like lunch.

Go to the coast first and enjoy the sites. Eat lunch before heading to Pompeii. Do Pompeii last as it is closer to the cruise port. There is a cafe at Pompeii that is OK, but I would try for something that is less touristy. You can ask a private guide for a recommendation and he can book the restaurant and time. We enjoy www.latagliata.com outside of Positano.

Hello. Thank you, too, for your response. We are not interested in changing our excursion at this time. We are interested in La Tagliata though, if it can be accommodated. I've heard great things from a number of people!

Thank you WonderMan3. We are taking that same trip with RomeInLimo next year. Pleased to hear you enjoyed it! :D

You’re welcome! You can see a detailed description of our Amalfi Coast day with photos in my Live from Constellation thread from last year https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2493173. Naples was our first port.